Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Lens Max Aperturef/2.8
    Macro LensWith Macro Lens
    Macro Magnificationx 1
    MountNikon

This lens provides an exceptional range of applications and high-quality performance. Close-Range Correction System ensures high resolution from infinity to close-ups down to 8 3/4 inches (1:1 reproduction ratio). A-M (Automatic-Manual) switch enables quick changing from autofocus to manual focus.

Submitted by Axle a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    * Fast
* Sharp at Portrait or Macro Photography
* Heavy, well built

Weaknesses:    * Looses a stop when focused right in

Bottom Line:
You want Macro, I'll give you Macro! I removed this lens from it's box after purchasing and was very pleased with the weight of this sucker, and then I used it.

The results were amazing, sharp, fast, and easy to use. The deep lens element negates the need for a lens hood in most situations. However the thing I like about it is the limiting switch, speeds up the Auto-Focus process when shooting just straight portraits or straight macro.

However the one problem I found with the lens is even though it's a f/2.8, you focus in close and you loose a stop (f/3.8).

Purchased At:   Henry's

Similar Products Used:   Sigma DC 18-50mm EX Macro

Submitted by ahmed ghazzawi a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    macro work , sharp in portraits but with suffecient light ...5.6 & above.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
this is a serious lense , no doubt , for macro work it is one of the best lenses i have ever put my hand on , i love the weight, the look , the touch of it . the bokeh is so nice , i mounted it on my D50 then i attacked every single element in the room , i used an SB 400 bounced it upwards and the result was very high , but for portraits i still prefere the 50 mm 1.8 ....dont hesitate if you are thinking about it ,you will enjoy working with that piece of art for sure.

Purchased At:   grand stores dubai

Submitted by chris a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2007

Strengths:    Clear image quality, well built lens, ease of use. great price. great for everyday use as well as macro. Used with Nikon D200 DSLR camera. I am going to rate this lens as five star until I find a reason to give it a lower rating, so... this may take a while.

Weaknesses:    not found one as yet

Bottom Line:
From taking the lens out of the box I could tell by the weight of the lens that this was no cheap lens. I have been looking for a good macro lens for a while and have spent a few weeks reading reviews on various websites including this one. I was supprised to find how easy it was to use. I spent most of the first day taking photos of everything I could find, from flowers to fag ends. The quality of the images were crystal clear and very happy with the results. I have also been using the lens for portraits and the results are as good as some of the more expensive lenses that I own. I bought the lens from a Ebay seller in based in Hong Kong. The price in some of the UK camera shops was around £320. I bought this, brand new with tags for £179 plus postage. If your after a great macro lens without breaking the bank or wasting your money on cheaper makes then this is the lens for you.

Purchased At:   ebay seller

Purchased At:   ebay seller

Similar Products Used:   wide range of Nikon telephoto lenses

Submitted by swissfoto a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Strengths:    Sharp, sharp, sharp
Build quality

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
Wow, this is one sharp lens. I like the solid build too. Macro detail is incredible. Very happy with my choice of macro (was looking at the Tamron 90mm but thanks to the reviews went with the Nikon and cannot fault the choice.)

Purchased At:   B&H