Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Camera Format35 mm SLR
    Picture Angle180 degrees
    Focal Length16mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/2.8

Combines the special effects advantages of 180° coverage with Nikon's advanced D-type autofocus lens technology. Bright f/2.8 aperture for photographing in dim light or with fast shutter speeds. Full-aperture viewing and metering. Four 39mm filters bayonet onto the back of the lens. High-contrast images even at full aperture. Exceptionally lightweight for a fisheye lens. Built-in lens hood.

Submitted by Sharilf a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    Crisp bright and vivid eye popping color

Weaknesses:    slip on lens cap

Bottom Line:
WOW !!! I bought this for a toy.... and now it is one of my fav lens... and with the D1x the distortion is small I hardley use a wide lens now except this and will probably sell my others... this is by far the most forgiving lens i have ever had ! WOW

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikkors of all ranges

Submitted by BryceKam a Expert from Los Angeles, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Strengths:    Size. Unbelieveable for such a super wide.
Sharpness. Very sharp edge to edge.
Price. Unlike other reviewers, I believe for the size/weight of this lens, the coverage provided and the quality of the pictures, this lens is a real value.

Weaknesses:    The auto focus does seem to wander quite a bit, but it does focus in a less than a second. Not as fast as the other AF Nikkors, but I figure it has a lot more coverage area to focus on. Hasn't really been a problem yet.

Bottom Line:
Decided to upgrade everything after 30 years, so semi retired the F2's and got a F5. Wanted to take advantage of the auto focus. Purchased this lens to replace an older Sigma 16mm fisheye. I was very happy with the Sigma but figured It was time to upgrade that lens too.

This lens was a very big surprise when I got it. The size of it was shocking. I couldn't believe this was the right lens. It's more the size of a 35mm than what I expected. The Sigma is considerably larger and for 180 degrees I expected a big bulbous front lens. This lens is actually 180 corner to corner, I believe about 160 degrees across, I guess like TVs. But for my use, this is fine. I just wanted a super wide without too much edge distortion.

Test shot a roll of film and am very pleased with the lens. All pictures were very very sharp. I seldom worry about color since that may be the labs problem and color can be corrected in the lab if necessary. Want a hint if you only use your cameras meter? Shoot a clearly labeled 16% grey card on the first frame so the lab has a reference point. 90% of the time my pictures are not that critical so I just go with their basic settings.

The pictures were sharp, edge to edge. If you shoot level without a reference object at the edge, the distortion at the edges is not that noticable. Of course if you tilt the lens you will get the exaggerated effect you see in a lot of photos.

Overall I am very pleased with the lens. The size alone makes it a great addition to carry along. I typically use a full frame fish eye for city skylines and a couple of times inside caves. I believe for the cost, this is a fine lens.

Unlike others, I have no problem with the rubberized/plastic slide on lens cover. The Sigma had a metal one that could slip off very easily.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 16mm Full frame Fisheye

Submitted by AJ2271 a Expert from Illinois

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    Small size, screw in filters rather than a gelatin slot, nice Nikon crinkle finish.

Weaknesses:    Lens cap leaves something to be desired. I have heard that a 16mm AIS fisheye cap will work on this model. Have not found one to try it.

Bottom Line:
This is an addictive lens!! When I shoot extreme sports, this is my "normal" lens. After switching from Canon to Nikon, I have found that I like this model better. It is slightly smaller in size than a Canon 15mm fisheye, but it still packs a mean punch.

Purchased At:   E-bay