Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Closest Focusing Distance10.2 in
    Picture Angle94 degrees
    MPN1913
    Product ID20724255

This ultra wideangle autofocus lens allows for pin-point focusing even in dim light. 94° picture coverage with edge-to-edge sharpness. Tremendous depth of field enables quick shooting. Close-Range Correction for distortion-free pictures as close as 10 inches. No light fall-off even when wide open.

Submitted by phildeman a Expert

Weaknesses:    * No lens hood

Bottom Line:
This is my first super wide fix focal length lens. In the short time that I have had it, it has produced stunning results. The image comes through crisp and clear. The colors are outstanding. I brought this lens with me to photograph Italy, and all I can say is, wow.

I use it with my D2X, so for normal shoot it is equivelant to a 30mm. At high speed crop it is equivalent to 50mm. My only complaint is that it does not come with a lens hood. The len hood that Nikon sells, as a separate part, doesn't even block light coming from the sides of the lens.

Submitted by Phil a Expert

Submitted by Phil a Expert

Submitted by William Kazak a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Strengths:    Compact, good speed and fair price.It works on film and digital. On my D70 it is a 30mm and great for dancing pics at a reception.You could leave it on the D70 or the F100 at all times, it is that good.

Weaknesses:    None.Maybe a little flare in bright sun. Keep the lens shade on.

Bottom Line:
Great lens. I use it for weddings when I need a dramatic effect. A lot cheaper than the 18mm or the 14mm. Better sharpness than any zoom. Very good speed at F2.8, at least in the center it is F2.8.Goes real well with the 24mm-85mm zoom as part of a two lens kit.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   50mm F1.4, 35mmF2.

Submitted by moizes a Professional

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Sharpness, color, contrast, background, doesn't need hood, small.

Weaknesses:    Not real 2,8, but big deal...

Bottom Line:
Very sharp and colorful, but isn't really 2,8. With film it's 3,5 and digital camera needs to set +1,0 to obtain a correct exp.( sometime +0,5 with my S2 ). Distortions are really issue, not with digital. 17-35 is much better(paradox!), but I love both, and 20 is a little bit (little, I mean!) sharper, but 17-35 delivers a bit better color.

Similar Products Used:   Almost all of Nikkors.