Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Closest Focusing Distance12 in
    Picture Angle84 degrees
    MPN1919
    Product ID20723715

This compact and lightweight fast f/2.8 lens is ideal for landscapes or candid portraits and general photography. An ideal wideangle lens with excellent optical performance. Autofocus operation is fast and accurate, and the lens light weight and compactness make it highly versatile. Close-Range Correction System ensures high resolution down to 15 inches.

Submitted by Beezy a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Picture quality
Fast
Slightly Wide on DX format, not too much distortion, but enough to play with
Warm colors

Weaknesses:    Fixed focal length
lens flare (not too bad, but definitely more flare than my other lenses)

Bottom Line:
For a wide angle, my options were the 20mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2. I own the 50mm f/1.8 & 18-55mm af-s VR. My camera is DX format.

My 50mm is too long of a focal length sometimes, and the 18-55mm is slow, sometimes horrible with color fringing or pictures would look muddy. 24mm = 36mm on DX format, so it's great for wide and general use!

I didn't choose 35mm because it was too similar in focal length with the 50mm. The real reason why I chose the 24mm over the 20 or the 28 was because it was cheaper. It's only a 4mm difference between both of those lengths as well.

Speed: It's performance is great compared to the zoom lens, but not nearly as fast as my 50mm.
Color: It has warmer colors than the 50mm (really liking that!).
Depth of field: Pretty good actually!
Sharpness: Also good
Softness: Also good
Distortion: Slight. Fun to play with.

I have used this for urban settings and group pictures, it's great!

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 50mm 1.8D

* Great for a Film body
* Fast Autofocus
* Fast Wide Angle Lens

Weaknesses:    * Doesn't do well on a digital body

Bottom Line:
Fast wide angle at a decent price? This is your lens. I got this glass when I purchased my first modern film camera (Nikon F80), the salesperson who was helping me at the store said that this was the best for a 'normal' lens for the camera, and he was right. This lens very rarely leaves the camera body.

At f/2.8 it's not the fastest lens out there but it does the job in low light situations, produces a great bokeh, and sharp images at any aperture setting and a quick autofocus to boot.

However when coupled with a digital body (D70s) is where it falls down a little, with the 1.5x crop factor the lens becomes a 35mm, which could be enough for some people, but just isn't wide enough for many applications.

Some things that you should outfit this lens with is a CPOL filter for outdoor stuff and the metal screw on lens hood.

Purchased At:   Henry's

Similar Products Used:   Pentax 28mm f/2.8
MacKinnon 28mm f/2.8 (Minolta MC Mount)

Submitted by vespa55 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Strengths:    Sharp images. Great images. Not too much CA

Weaknesses:    f/2.8 being the largest aperture can be disappointing for low light photography (especially if you don't intend to use a strobe in some shots)

Bottom Line:
I usually resort to prime lenses for sharp images and for good low light photography. At f/2.8, this lens was actually more of a drawback than an advantage at some a shoot I did not too long ago of a live band performing at a banquet hall. I had better shots with my 50mm nikkor at f/2.0 than I did with the 24mm wide open. On my D80, the crop factor reduced the wide angle effectiveness by making this 24mm Nikkor into a 35mm lens equivalent, making it a typical standard lens and NOT a really wide angle lens. Don't get me wrong, with the right shot and steady aim, this lens produces some awesome shots, but for almost $300 for a prime, I was hoping for maybe a bigger aperture.

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   50mm f/1.8 Nikkor, 10-20mm Sigma

Submitted by kingchan a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Strengths:    excellent performance in all f stop
light, small with f2.8

Weaknesses:    not yet found after using it for 8 years

Bottom Line:
this is one of the best wide angle lens I've been using. it's compact, light with only 52mm diameter, good price but solid build! the most amazing thing I like this lens is the distortion control. with 24mm wide angle but never give you terrible distortion on edge. it allow me to frame almost all of outdoor situation. when you find 28mm couldn't satisfy but worrying that hard to manage the wide angle distortion, this is the lens you need to consider.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor AF 18-35mm f3.5-4.5
Nikkor Ais 20mm f2.8
Nikkor AF 28mm f2.8
Nikkor AF 35mm f2

Submitted by mgermana a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Strengths:    Solid Build
Sharp

Weaknesses:    Maybe too challenging for beginners

Bottom Line:
If you have never shot with a wide-angle lens before, you may want to start with something a little less wide. True, this lens is very sharp, but composing with it can be quite challenging if you are accustomed to 28mm and longer. I mention this because many photographers on websites like photo.net and nikonians.com RAVE about this lens, often noting the questionable build quality of the affordable prime lenses that flank it (the AF-D 20/2.8 and the AF-D 28/2.8). But its champions often overlook two crucial details:

1) Becuase this lens creates so much space, you MUST have a VERY STRONG foreground element to anchor the composition--everything else recedes, but still remains as parts of the composition; and
2) This lens flares like nobody's business! The lens hood is good for only about and additional 2 degrees of protection. Bring something along to shield the lens if you're shooting outdoors in bright sunlight (I often used my 18% gray card as an impromptu shade).

After shooting with this lens, along with my trusty AF-D 50/1.8, for a year I gathered up all my favorite images and noticed that all but two of them were taken with the 50mm. So I traded it in towards an old AF 70-210/4 and a new AF-D 35/2.

To make a long story short, it's a fine (if flare-prone) lens, but I couldn't take a picture worth a nickel with it. Others have taken stunning pics with this lens, but if it doesn't suit your shooting style (or you live someplace excessively flat!), you may want to start with a longer focal length and put off the 24mm until you've got the skills. After 3 years of shooting, I still don't have the skills for this lens. I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Purchased At:   B&H