Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Picture Angle62 degrees
    Designed for Digital CameraYes
    MPN1923
    Product ID20724072

Professional photographers make Nikkor lenses their lenses of choice. Nikon is committed to every aspect of lens manufacturing, maintaining clarity, sharpness, focusing accuracy, range and reliability.

Submitted by Axle a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2009

Strengths:    Low Profile
Fast
Light Weight

Weaknesses:    f/2 while fast, but in really low light such as a concert you may have some problems

Bottom Line:
So you want a "normal" lens for your dSLR. the 35mm 1:2D is the lens for you! This low profile lens grants the user a 52mm view on the 1.5x DX format Nikon dSLRs with a fast lens for it's size at a good price.

Ever since I started photography my favourite lens has been the 50mm, but when I upgraded from the 135 system to the DX format, I lost my 50mm (my 50 suddenly became a 75mm lens, which isn't bad...but, I no longer had a normal).

So I was looking through Henry's one day and talking with one of the sales people and they said they had fixed the problem by getting the 35mm.

Purchased At:   Henry's

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 24mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Submitted by zeissica@yahoo.com a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2007

Strengths:    Sharp images, accurate focus with the D200, compact, and nicely made.

Weaknesses:    A little expensive for what it is, although it is reasonable considering it's quality.

Bottom Line:
Since purchasing a Nikon D200 several months ago, I've been researching and considering a "normal" prime lens. I purchased a 28mm f/2.8D but was not impressed by it. I considered the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but have read mixed reviews - and I felt that it was expensive, large and heavy. Although I like my "normal" lenses a bit wider, at about 50 degrees of coverage, it's not as important because I'm moving around a lot when taking photos with a prime lens anyway. I'd read a lot of positive reviews of the 35mm f/2 D so I started looking for one. Let me say this: I'm very impressed with the sharpness, the color rendition and the lack of distortion. It is very compact and seems to be very well made. It feels like something in your hand, rather than the super-light weight plastic lenses out there. It's not quite up to the standards of the 17-55 f/2.8 DX but it's certainly better than most 3rd party lenses. Focus is accurate, and having f/2 is nice in lower-light situations.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D, Contax 45mm f/2, Contax 35mm f/2, Zuiko 50mm f/1.4.

Submitted by whymeagain2004 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Strengths:    small, light and unobtrusive.
excellent for available light photography - especially for BnW film. i love to use this on my FM2.
works just as well on my DSLR - giving a 'normal' view of a 50mm lens (after 1.5x crop factor).
lovely colour reproduction and contrast.

Weaknesses:    not the legendary AIS 35/1.4 (can nikon pls update this lens?)
older versions plagued by 'oily' aperture blades, so be careful when buying off ebay.
acceptably sharp at f2, IMO, tho others might disagree.

Bottom Line:
sold my nikon 50mm/f1.4 for this. enough said. :)

Purchased At:   Local agent

Submitted by nikonD200user a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Sharp f2.8 and up. Mechanically well built. Fast AF

Weaknesses:    Extremely soft wide open...has a dreamy glow look. Noisy AF (but normal for a screw drive)

Bottom Line:
Mechanically, this lens is superbly constructed. No wiggles anywhere, and the automatic as well as manual focus is smooth for this type of screw drive lens. From 2.8 on it's tack sharp from corner to corner. Relatively distortion free compared to my 18-200VR. But wide open, the sharpness falls off dramatically into a dreamy glow. I bought this lens as a low light lens and I was aware that it was not as sharp wide open (as with most lenses) when I bought the lens, but I was shocked at the dramatic fall off with just one stop...far more than any other lens I own. So if you intend to shoot at f2.8 or smaller aperature...you'll like this lens. If you intend to primarily use it as a low light lens, you may well be dissapointed. I returned the lens and ordered the Sigma 30mm f1.4 instead..I'll keep my fingers crossed that I get a good copy.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 50mm f1.4 D AF
Nikon 60mm f2.8 Micro
Nikon 18-200VR
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX
Tokina 12-24 f4

Submitted by freundez a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Versatile focal length for a variety of shooting styles

Fast aperature allows for handheld shooting in limited light

Small and compact - great for traveling

Snappy AF speed on my D70s

Great image quality when stopped down to at least f2.8

Handles CA and flare well

Weaknesses:    Quite soft at f/2

Not as fast as the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (but a lot lighter)

Bottom Line:
I wanted a compact, light weight walk around lens for my D70s, and the 35mm fit the bill perfectly. This focal length is effectively the new 'standard' lens for APS-C sized sensors currently found on all Nikon digital bodies, and is well suited for the task in my opinion. Of my current collection of lenses, this is the lens that spends the most time on my camera - I enjoy its versatility and image quality, as well as the creative possibilities that a fast prime lens can provide.

The lens is able to focus as close as 10" (25 cm), and can be used as a close-up lens in a pinch with good results. http://thefreunds.smugmug.com/gallery/1296520/1/66400882

I will admit to being somewhat disappointed with the lenses performance wide-open. You really need to stop down to f/2.8 or greater to get usable prints.

Purchased At:   B&H