Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Weight9 oz
    MPN50MMD
    UPC018208019021
    Release Date1995

One of the most widely used autofocus lenses in all of photography. Fast enough for shooting in just about any type of light. Distortion-free images with superb resolution and color rendition. Weighs only 9.0 ounces. An ideal first lens, perfect for full-length portraits, travel photography or any type of available-light shooting.

Submitted by gazoo a Casual

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, Razor sharp (specially at f/4), Amazing DOF, Lightweight and Compact (can be fitted into a pocket), Price.

A MUST for any Nikon photographer.

Weaknesses:    Slightly soft contrast at f/1.4 but not really noticeable. Could be bigger in size, but whatever...

Bottom Line:
This lens is an absolut must for any Nikon photographer. It's sharp as hell, it's ok cheap and the DOF is really outstanding.

This lens purpose best with portraits and food photography. It's also completely ideal for low-light situations.

If you can't afford the 85mm 1.8, this is the way to go. It truely offers high quality for little money.

Similar Products Used:   If you are on a tight budget, you might also consider the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 which is cheaper and very simulair. The 85mm f/1.8 is a better alternative, if you can afford it.

Submitted by VinnyP! a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, sharp, light.

Weaknesses:    Noisy AF. Soft in corners on full frame (film) at 1.4.

Bottom Line:
I had one of these for a long time and made the mistake of letting it go because I thought the Sigma 30mm 1.4 would replace it. It wasn't long before I missed it so now it's back to stay. It's a great lens on a digital SLR up to at least a half height portrait. For children it's a super lens to deal with distracting backgrounds and in all circumstances it's very good in available light.

It's the smallest lightest lens I own so often gets popped in as a "just in case" lens no matter what I intend to shoot. It's lack of IF means it can be a bit noisy when focussing and that can be an issue if you are in a quiet environment but it is nothing next to a mirror thwack when actually taking the picture.

I was lucky and got a 1.4 back having decided a 1.8 was much beter value and does 95% of what this can do. The only thing I suppose is that 1.4 is there if you need it and at F2 it's already a stop down so is right in the zone. With an APS sized sensor that's not a big deal since the relative softness at 1.4 was always in the corners on film anyway.

So I would heartily recommend this lens for almost anyone but take a look at the 1.8 which is almost certainly better value and will give as good results in almost any circumstances.

Purchased At:   Private 2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 30mm 1.4
Nikkor 85mm 1.8

Submitted by dinosaur_hotel a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Sharp and fast.

Small in size and fits in nicely in any bag.

A must for any level photographer's gear stash.

Weaknesses:    Focuses slightly noisily, but not really a problem.

At 1.4, light is blown out easily, so you have to be careful not to point towards light sources.

It would be nice if Nikon included rear lens caps, but oh well.

Bottom Line:
This was the first major lens I purchased due to it's all-around usage and argulably it was the best $265 I have ever spent.

I shoot mostly portraits and work as a photojournalist.

For people at any length it works well (75mm on digital).

It is also wide enough to be used as a general outdoor lenses for low-lit street scene news photos.

I don't find the price to be a problem. The 1.4 is much more noticable than the 1.8 and really not too expensive at $250-300.

Purchased At:   KEH.com

Submitted by freundez a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Fast maximum aperature makes this lens a lot of fun to use. Sharpness improves significantly above f/2.

The flexibility that a fast aperature gives you in terms of depth-of-field is amazing. High ISO and image stabilization can't make up for a big aperature in this regard. Here is a sample image of the narrow DOF possible at f/1.4:

Chromatic Aberration is minimal, as is flare with the lens hood attached.

Decent bokeh (though not as smooth as either of Nikon's 85mm choices

Weaknesses:    Soft at f/1.4, but still produces very usable photos. I've printed a couple 8x10 portraits and been very pleased with the result

Average AF performance - my 35mm is quicker

Average build quality (but again I bought a used copy)

Larger and more expensive than the 50mm f/1.8

Bottom Line:
I felt somewhat obliged to buy this lens for my D70s, having learned to shoot using my dad's MF 50 1.4 on an old Nikon FA body growing up. With the field of view crop associated with the APS-C size sensor, this lens goes from being a standard lens to more of a short telephoto, and I typically use it for available light portraits and the occassional street scene shot. As a result, this lens doesn't spend as much time on my camera as the 35mm f/2 does, but when it is on the camera I always enjoy using it.

I should note that my review is based on a used sample that I purchased, and I usually have the HS-9 hood attached to prevent flare. Also, from what I've read, if you will do most of your shooting above f/5.6, the lighter and cheaper f/1.8 is probably a better bet.

Purchased At:   KEH (Used)

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 35mm f/2

Submitted by almar a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Great value, fabulous low light capabilities and that DOF!!!! Pin sharp too.....

Weaknesses:    Nothing of note as far as I am concerned (at this money).

Bottom Line:
I can't understand why some people seem to be hung up on the where something is made as opposed to the how something is made???
Having read the reviews I was a little apprehensive about buying this lens as people were criticising the build quality, the sharpeness and (some) the AF.
Maybe I was lucky but as yet I am totally delighted with this lens. OK its twice the price of the f/1.8 but then it is a bit faster and it does feel better made (my mate has a 1.8). Sharper than a 1.8 down to f/2.8 (according to photodo) but a little less sharp from there but that didn't bother me as the prime reason for getting this lens was low light hand held photography and very shallow DOF. Some have criticised that it will only got to f/16 but for me this really is not an issue as I think I have only ever stepped it down that far once!

Some have also criticised the bokeh but again I have no issue with this - it seems very soft and evenly blurred in my experience. All in all a superb lens which when combined with the 1.5x crop of a D2x makes a stunning portrait lens.

Similar Products Used:   50mm f/1.8, numerous zooms covering this range (Sigma 24-135 f/2.8, Nikon 24-120VR, Sigma 50-500), Rollei f/1.8 50mm