Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Diaphragm Blades7 Blades
    Picture Angle46 degrees
    MPN2137
    Product ID20724673

• D-type lens design provides distance info for flash and ambient exposure
  • Aperture range: f/1.8-22
  • Min focus: Approx. 1.5 feet

Submitted by bhobg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
    Sensational lens. For the price, a must-have. I used to manually focus with it when I had a D40 and I got great results. Now I shoot with a D80 and I can autofocus with it.

They say this is a portrait lens but its great for other stuff too. I love it in concerts and its very good for indoor sports too like basketball. I just shot college basketball with it, wide open, shutter set at 1/640 or 1/800 at 800 iso. I got some great keepers! I think that for indoor sports, f/2.8 just won't cut it.

The old f/1.4 50mm is more than twice the price. The new AF-S version is FOUR TIMES the price. This one is much, much better value. The sharpness is terrific, as is the bokeh. Every Nikonian needs one. :)

Purchased At:   Manila, Philippines

Submitted by al5652 a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    This is a very sharp lens even at f/1.8. At f/1.8 the DOF is very shallow so nailing the focus is very important. In my opinion some of the complaints of softness come from the unfocused results. It is hard to focus in dim places and at night inside homes. The focusing light on D80 helps so it should be turned on. 50 f/1.8 is at the same league as 50 f/2 AI which is sharp from corner to corner, f/2 to f/16. 50 f/1.4 is not very good from f/1.4 to f/4 but sharpness peaks at f/5.6 and f/8. I can easily get the same results from 50 f/1.8 at f/2.8 compared to 18-135 at f/7.1 with of course DOF difference.

Weaknesses:    It is very weakly built. It gives a lot of resistance when screwing the lens compared to smooth operation of 18-135 or 70-300VR.

Bottom Line:
    I had a D80 with 18-135 and 70-300 VR. I bought this lens to use mostly in museums where flash is not allowed also to use it with Nikon CLS system with my SD600 flash. I also own older lenses and Nikon bodies. I used 50 f/2 AI and 50 f/1.4 AI on my D80 before.

Purchased At:   BH

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 50 f/2 AI, 50 f/1.4 AI, 55 f/3.5 non-AI micro Nikkor, 50 f/1.7 Minolta

Submitted by jorgemonkey a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    F1.8 aperture
    AF speed
    Price is by far one of its greatest strengths

Weaknesses:    Build quality. I would like to see a version build on a metal body
    Lens is a little noisy while focusing, but isnt' annoying until its really quiet and you have to focus

Bottom Line:
    I got this lens as a freebie when I bought one of my D2h's. I didn't use it at all because of the $100 price tag on it, I didn't think it would be that great of a lens.

After my son was born 3 months ago this lens has stayed on my camera. Its sharp from 1.8 to 22. It focuses quick and it does the job. Personally I think Nikon could raise the price by $100-$200 and people would still buy this lens.

It is built on a plastic body, so it feels cheap and like you'll break it easily. Thats one of the reasons I didn't use it at first.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS

Submitted by JGaban a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    cheap
    fast & accurate autofocus on my d80
    light

Weaknesses:    very soft picture at wide aperture

Bottom Line:
    Took a series of photo from 1.8 to 22.0 to see sharpness and bokeh. Very soft at 1.8 and improving as the aperture decreases. Maximum sharpeness achieved at 6.3 with no discernable change in sharpeness thereafter. Background blur (Bokeh) at 1.8 is very good but not as great as some of the photos I have seen. Bokeh effect becomes ineffective at 3.2.

camera: D80

Purchased At:   Kuala Lumpur

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Sosh a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2008

Strengths:    Low price

Weaknesses:    Soft
    Very poor build quality
    No lens case supplied
    Slow focussing
    Poor colour reproduction and contrast

Bottom Line:
    I don't know why so many people rave about this lens. Perhaps it's a quality control issue, but I've been extremely disappointed with my copy.

I was hoping for a reasonably sharp prime lens, but this lens is soft - even compared to my 18-70 zoom.

Admittedly it does get better after f/2.8 - but still not great. Less that 2.8 is unacceptably soft in my opinion - so is of little use. Colour reproduction and contrast are also not great.

The build quality is very shabby - it feels like 'disposable' kit. The aperture ring is loose. The lens requires some degree of force to twist on to the body, I can only assume this is because of poor engineering tolerances.

Maybe the 1.4 is better, but I will be likely be selling mine.

Purchased At:   microglobe.co.uk