Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Picture Angle6 degrees
    Focal Length400mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/2.8

• Lightweight die-cast magnesium construction
  • Nikon Silent Wave Motor provides ultra-high-speed and accurate autofocus along with super-quiet operation
  • Min focus: approx. 11.4 feet
  • Aperture range: f/2.8-22

Submitted by grntdv a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2005

Strengths:    Extremely fast focus
    Awesome clear sharp shots
    Good colour rendition even with such a large front lens element
    Tripod collar handy

Weaknesses:    Heavy as all christ to lug around
    The price new ( that's why I borrowed it and haven't bought one yet )
    Sturdy tripod needed as very heavy
    Only the newer Nikon brand tele-convertors will work with it, the older (and I mean like only a year or two old ) Tele-plus brand convertors won't work

Bottom Line:
    I borrowed this lens of a very trusting mate in our local camera club. We had a holiday trip out to Dubbo, in Western NSW and went to the Dubbo zoo. This lens was unbelievably awesome!

I do admit it was a heavy big sucker to lug around all day ( 4.4kg's/8 pound ) but the photos were awesome. It allowed me to get right up close to the animals like rhinos, elephants, tigers etc and with the wide 2.8 aperature, I could blur out background distractions to allow more natural looking shots. Also by having such a massive lens hanging on my side it did make me feel like a fully blown professional there for a few hours. It was heaps of fun.

The autofocus is extremely fast too having the AFS motor and driven rear lens element. The tripod collar also came in very handy. When I do my trip to Africa later I would definitly consider to beg, borrow or steal one of these. Pop a 1.5 or 2 times tele-convertor between the body and lens and you have yourself an awesome outfit. On a digital SLR you would could end up with a fast and sharp 600 to 1200mm lens. Very good for lions etc as they can run very sharp and have big sharp teeth which I don't want to have to get to close to.
    If you want to see another photo of this lens or read reviews about it, check out www.kenrockwell.com
    The only reason this lens got an overall rating of 4 stars out of 5 was I deducted 1 star due to the weight of this lens. If it was a smaller lens that was obviously lighter, it definitly would've got a 5 out of 5.

Purchased At:   ebay USA