Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Olympus

Olympus OM-Zuiko 28mm f2.0 35mm Primes

MSRP : $0

Submitted by Geoff a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    -fast f/2 aperture
-retrofocus mechanism allows for close focusing without goofy distortion
-resists flare well
-very well built
-very compact (just a little bigger than a 50/1.4, or about the same size as the 85/2 or 100/2.8)
-CRAZY sharp
-amazing contrast
-optomized for the more useful f/4-5.6 aperture rather than stopped way down like most lenses
-Leica fighter for a fraction of the price

Weaknesses:    You might stop playing with all your other toys. My poor 85 deserves better than to be gathering dust in my camera bag...

Bottom Line:
This lens is incredibly versitile, with its fast speed, small size, and close focusing distance. My copy comes from the late 70's and still works beautifully, with no slop in the focus collar. Stopped down around 4, this is one of the sharpest zuikos ever, yet still has unbelievable contrast and a slightly warm tone. I use mine wide open all the time for a really nice "glowy," somewhat soft effect, but things get really really sharp a stop or two down. I've been very impressed with its low light performance, and find it superior to the dedicated fast 50's. It's a little pricy, but when you consider that this is a "pro" lens, the 300ish bones you're gonna fork over is downright cheap compared to the other zuikos in this class, like the 24/2 for instance which goes for twice the price. It's fast, sharp, versitile, renders color about as well as any lens can, resists flare well, it's compact, very well built, focuses close... in short its basically perfect. This lens rarely leaves my camera.

Purchased At:   KEH

Similar Products Used:   other zuiko lenses (85/2, 50/1.8, 65-200)

Submitted by Furiosi a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Many.

Weaknesses:    Few.

Bottom Line:
I agree, this lens does "have something." It's one of those rare lenses where I look at the pictures it takes and I just think yes. I used the Leica 28/2.8 v.3 for many years, and it too is a lens that has beautifully smooth tonality, but this lens has that plus something else, a wonderful sense of richness and depth and on top of that punchy blacks. It's a great lens. I simply love it. And it's usable at f/2. It's not clinically sharp at f/2, but it's certainly usable (for people pictures). Very nice bokeh, too.

Purchased At:   KEH

Similar Products Used:   Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit
Nikon 28/2.8 AIS
Nikon 28/2 AIS
Zuiko 28/2.8
Zuiko 28/3.5

Submitted by Jay Park a Intermediate from San Jose

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp and contrasty. Natural color rendition. Compact for the speed. high resolution.

Weaknesses:    a bit soft at wide open. Expensive for the old manual lens. Hard to find these days.

Bottom Line:
This is a great lens. I was little concerned about its photodo rating, but it turned out to be one of the sharpest lens I ever owned. It's a bit soft at wide open, but acceptable. From 2.8 this lens is a great performer. I made some huge prints with this lens, and I am so happy with it.

Similar Products Used:   Canon 28mm f2.8, Nikon 28mm f2.8 ais

Submitted by Mike Johnston a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Like most Zuikos, handles beautifully, great size, weight, feel. Images are a cut above.

Bottom Line:
I like what the two previous people said, because my experience was similar. I test lenses as a reviewer, and I used this one for a while and then got rid of it. But then I kept going back to my prints and thinking, d***, this lens really has something. Jaime Muldoon said it well--they have a great "look." I really liked this lens a lot. It just took me a while to realize how much.

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything. I've used hundreds of lenses.

Submitted by dane skye a Expert from portland

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    Sharp yet contrasty. Nice size and bright view. My favorite lens.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
This is the single best lens I have ever used. It beats every vaunted Caon lens-hands down.

Ihave the 28/2.8 as well as this one, this is my favorite, but I still use both

Similar Products Used:   Various OM lenses as well as Pentax and Canon AF systems.