Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Olympus

Olympus OM-Zuiko 40mm f2.0 35mm Primes

MSRP : $0

Submitted by Furiosi a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Small.
Nice bokeh.
Can be used at f/2.

Weaknesses:    The aperture ring is tough to grip. I simply grab the hood and turn it, rather than the aperture ring.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens because I love the 40mm angle of view, but I must admit I hit the paypal submit button with some trepidation--I'd read that the lens is not respectable till f/4. But I have been favorably surprised and impressed by the lens. It's Leitz tiny, it's got good bokeh, and it's just this side of high-enough contrast to be shot at f/2 (at least for people photography). So do I love this lens? The jury is still out on that. It's got all the qualities of a lens that I could have a long-term relationship with.

Similar Products Used:   Voigtlander 40/1.4

Submitted by Adamski a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Strengths:    Super Sharp and contrasty from f4 up. Super compact. Perfect 'everything' lens.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Ok this lens is expensive for what it is! But i wanted one bad and somehow hit the buy now button before I knew what I was doing! Any regrets? Hell no! This lens is sharp! It is the perfect focal length for most people shots and it lives permanently on my OM4Ti. Its contrasty as hell and is just so small.

The known filter problem isn't an issue at all. You just have to be aware that turning the aperture turns the filter thread, Big Deal! It takes 2 seconds to readjust and its just one of those quirks that kinda makes me love this little lens more.

I cant rave on enough about this wee gem of a lens. To me the 50mm was always just a tiny bit too tight. 40mm solves this perfectly.

I'm giving this wee cracker 4 stars for value just because I have easily got my moneys worth from it already.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   zuiko 21mm,24mm,28mm,35mm,50mm,100mm,200mm

Submitted by dos_ojos a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    Small size, low weight, sharpness, speed, close fucusing capability!

Weaknesses:    Absurd prices on the second hand market.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens because the 50mm wasn't quite wide enough for street and outdoor photography. It's sharp even at f2, and it's got a small, flat profile, light weight which is perfect for backpacking. Having used a Nikon F, I must say the OM cameras and their lenses are the most underrated of all SLRs. Small, light, bright viewfinder, and durable.

One of the best features that oddly enough no one has mentioned is that this lens focuses much closer than the 50mm lens. It's not quite a macro, but it's a pleasant added bonus.

I don't know why Olympus made so few of these lenses. It's become very expensive on Ebay. I've been looking for a 2cd one so I can mount 2 OM1s side x side as a stereo camera.

Purchased At:   Fom Shutterbug Ads 1

Similar Products Used:   Zuiko 24mm, 28mm, 50mm.

Submitted by hvlems a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Low weight, small size and excellent imaging properties (sharp, brilliant).

Weaknesses:    If there is a Zuiko without fault than this is it!

Bottom Line:
I bought the 40 mm lens in 1988 mainly because it was so small. It's sharp, as fast as a standard lens, and has, barely visable, a somewhat wider angle of course. I hardly use the 50 mm lens any more.

Purchased At:   Tokyo

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Abid Hussain a Intermediate from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp, sharp, sharp. I know I said that three times, but its so true I thought I'd re-inforce it.

Weaknesses:    Not possible to attach a lens hood.

Bottom Line:
By now, this outfit has moved out of history and into legend! An astonishing little lense that gives sharpness almost indistinguishable from top of the range professional lenses. Use a tripod and a shutter release and you will see detail you never thought was possible! Use a good ISO-100 film (avoid Kodak if possible) and get it developed at a reputable developer - avoid those 1-hour shops on the High Street and especially supermarkets!

Purchased At:   Campkins Camera Exch

Similar Products Used:   None in this range/age.