Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Olympus

MPN103300
    Product ID20723962

Submitted by ausser a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    Sharp, even at f/1.8, gorgeous bokeh, cheap a sin (or so cheap it ought to be a sin, take your pick), built very solidly, small and light, renders light beautifully.

Weaknesses:    OM mount is film-only so you'll need a mount adapter for digital, no autofocus (obviously) so you'll have to MF through the tiny viewfinders on today's DSLRs.

Bottom Line:
Wow, what an amazing lens for the price of a pizza delivery! I'm using it mounted to an Olympus E-300 digital (8 megapixel) with an OM adapter bought on eBay for half the price of a pizza delivery.

The lens renders light beautifully. Contrast and tonality are subtle and lovely, while in-focus areas are sharp. Bokeh is lovely. To a one, images from this lens have a timeless, clasic look that you don't often see anymore--even the "snapshots," especially at f/1.8.

I'm more than happy to sacrifice autofocus to have the opportunity to shoot a lens like this on a modern digital body. What a joy!

Purchased At:   Adorama

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG
Sigma 28mm f/1.8
Nikkor 28mm f/2.8
Haminex 40mm f/1.8

Submitted by ethanl a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    Build quality, size, cost - all OM photogaphers should have one of these!

Bottom Line:
My Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens came with my OM1n, which was purchased back in 1982. I have used it regularly since then, and am still impressed with the images it delivers. The fact that I have been using it for so long is testament to its build quality. The only signs of use are a few insignifican dust particles between the elements, which do not affect picture quality. This aside, it is as good as new! These lenses are very inexpensive and their usefulness should not be underestimated.

Purchased At:   Local Photo Store

Similar Products Used:   Zuiko 50mm f1.2 lens.

Submitted by jack carden a Expert from nyc

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Optics that deliver on all the technical measurements and something beyond. Will remind you of Leica lenses and the great Konica lenses. Ridiculously low prices.

Weaknesses:    Sometime focus gets stiff on older ones. Best to handle before buying.
The demise of the camera line isn't good, but not really a weakness of lens

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite lens along with the following: 55mm Nikkor 2.8 macro, Leica Summicron 50 f2 R, Voigtlander Nokton f1.5, the 40mm Summicron from the Leica CL, the 35 f2 on the Konica Hexar AF. It is up there with them.
Why? This lens does all the measured stuff right--resolution, contrast (high but not harsh) and anything else the lens testers at the magazines can throw at it. In addition, I find that the pictures are beautiful esthetically. It renders the roundness of faces superbly and reminds me of Leica lenses I have owned and loved. There are lens qualities that cannot easily be described in test targets.

I have shot my wife (elegant cheekbones), my kids, freinds' kids and the results are beautiful. Bokeh is very nice. Mine is the latest MC model, but I have good results with earlier lenses.

Purchased At:   adorama used

Similar Products Used:   50's from Nikkon, Leica, Canon, Zeiss, Pentax. Oh, yes, the 50mm 1.8 pentax AF lens is superb too.

Submitted by andres esteban a Intermediate from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Strengths:    colour rendition, contrast, compact size
easy to find and good value. legendary zuiko lens, a must have for any OM user

Weaknesses:    aperture ring feels cheap. Mine has dust inside though it doesn't seem to affect picture quality.

Bottom Line:
there were several design changes to this lens so they are not all the same. The last type with 'made in japan' on the front is the one I own. I cannot fault picture quality whatsover,I have taken some breathtaking shots with it. I have a single coated zuiko 50mm f1.4 and its clearly inferior to this f1.8

Similar Products Used:   zuiko 50mm f1.4

Submitted by Stephen Scharf a Intermediate from Albany, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Sharpness, contrast, compactness, ruggedness, build quality.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens new with my first OM-1n body for $50 over 22 years ago. It was a steal then and it is still a steal now. It still works, looks, and operates like new. Outstanding 50mm standard lens. Very sharp and contrasty. I have lost count of the number of photos I have taken with this lens. I took a Yosemite photo workshop many years ago where we had to bring some of our work with us for critiquing. I was always asked what lens I had taken the photos with, and the answer was always the same-the Zuiko 50mm standard lens! It was the only I had at the time. While my Yashica T4 has an excellent lens, this lens blows that Tessar T* out of the water for crispness and sharpness.