Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Olympus

Olympus OM-Zuiko 50mm f2.0 Macro 35mm Primes

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Furiosi a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Holds highlights well.
Nice rendering of skin tones.
Pleasing bokeh.

Weaknesses:    It's a large lens (for the Zuiko line).
Too low in contrast at f/2.

Bottom Line:
I agree with reviewers who describe this lens has having very pleasing qualities. It renders skin tones nicely, holds highlights well, and has very pleasing bokeh. In fact, I prefer the "look" of pictures taken with this lens to my pre-asph Leica Summilux, a lens I have used for years and simply love. However, I don't think the Zuiko 50/2 is comparable to a lens like the 50mm Summicron (others here have compared compared it to the Cron) simply because the 50/2 macro is not very good at f/2--that's a major drawback for a lens that is being compared to the Summicron and a deal breaker for anyone who might need to use the lens wide open. In fact, I would describe the lens as unusable at f/2; it's just way too low contrast. At f/2.8 it's much improved. So in short, yes, the lens has characteristics that are highly recommendable, but I'm replacing it with a 50mm that I can confidently shoot with at f/2. If you don't need the f/2, you'll likely love this lens.

Purchased At:   KEH

Similar Products Used:   Leica 50mm Summilux (pre-asph)
Zuiko 40mm f/2
Nikon 50mm f/2 AI
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF

Submitted by flowerside a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Build quality, optical performances, macro feature, speed (especially as a macro lens), versatility, consistency of results in every shooting conditions.

Weaknesses:    Handling (looks *big* on an OM-4Ti), price, availability. In addition it shares with the Zuiko 100mm f/2.0 a tendency to collect dust inside because of its rear group recessing deeply into the lens barrel when focused to close objects.

Bottom Line:
Got this lens recently and it took less than one week to became my all-time favorite. It helped me produce the best pictures I've ever taken, used both as a standard lens and as a semi-macro. This lens has a terrific "character", producing images that not only have an excellent resolution and contrast, but a unique feel which cannot be conveyed in words (y'know, something like all that talking about Leica magic). Definitely a top performer and a lens I'll never get rid of. Justifies the buying of an Olympus body only to be used and appreciated.

Purchased At:   Used at KEH.com in E

Similar Products Used:   Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.4
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8

Submitted by Marcelo Guarini a Intermediate from Santiago - Chile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Super sharp, excellent contrast and color performance

Weaknesses:    Just a little bit bulky in the OM4-T body

Bottom Line:
I agree with the reviewer Mr. Mike Johnston, this is the best normal lens I have ever used. It is clearly better than the last version of the 50 mm f2.0 Summicron-M, which I currently own. I have also compared its performance with some of my friends Cannons and Nikons normal lenses, and this Zuiko is the sharpest. Although I seldom use it for macro photography, its performance as such is also great.

Similar Products Used:   50 mm f2.0 Summicron-M, 50 mm f3.5 macro Zuiko.

Submitted by Mike Johnston a Expert from Woodstock, IL USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1999

Strengths:    Perfect all-purpose normal lens. Great sharpness, speed, close-focus, angle of view.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
This is one of the great little-known "sleepers" among 35mm camera lenses. I honestly think it's a better lens in virtually every way than the vaunted Leica 50mm Summicron. Unlike most macros, it's fast enough, and the right focal length, to use as a normal lens. Ironically, its only shortcoming might be its macro performance--I don't think it quite matches some of the competition at true macro distances, although it's good. But used as a normal lens, it's hard to match, let alone beat, at any price. P.S. I'm Editor-in-Chief of _PHOTO Techniques_ magazine (www.phototechmag.com).

Similar Products Used:   I've been a professional camera reviewer for a dozen years so I've used hundreds of 35mm lenses.