Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Pentax

Closest Focusing Distance18 in
    Picture Angle47 degrees
    MPN20987
    Product ID20724113

Manual focus, normal perspective, auto-aperture lens.
  • Aperture range: f/1.2-22
  • Min focus: 0.45m (1.5 ft.)

Submitted by Dscherzer a Beginner

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    focusing is razor-sharp.
    No distortions.
    Incredible resolution.
    Great build quality.

Weaknesses:    pricey when new. Definitely buy secondhand.

Bottom Line:
    The first camera setup I purchased was a Pentax K-1000 with a SMC 50/2.0. Soon after, I purchased the SMC 50/1.2 because I was not quite pleased with the sharpness of the 50/2.0, even stopped to f11 and f8. I noticed a world of change with the 50/1.2. The lens takes razor sharp shots at f8 and f11. I rarely go below f2.0, due to the fact that the images are softer at an aperture that wide. Also, after talking with several sales people at different stores, I learned that the quality of the glass is better in the 50/1.2. I was also very impressed with the build quality. It has all metal construction, and it's nice and hefty (personal preference). I use it for some landscape shots when my Takumar 28/2.8 is too wide, and for architectural shots around the University of Colorado. For the price I paid, It is, by far, my favorite non-telephoto Pentax lens

Purchased At:   The Camera Trader, D

Similar Products Used:   Pentax SMC 50/2.0
    Pentax SMC-A 50/2.8 Macro
    Pentax SMC-K 500/4.5
    Takumar 28/2.8
    Takumar 135/2.5

Submitted by paulfox a Expert from Hamburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    It's the best built Pentax 50mm !

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    I disagree : This is a VERY good lens ! I compared it with the Pentax 1.4/50 and the 1,7/50 and a no-name 1.2/55 and this was clearly the best ! I made wedding-shots and we compared the photos with those made by a Leica R 2.0/50 and the Pentax 1.2/50 had betterv results ! Maybe because it's been stopped down more than the Leica-lens but ...
    I made so many great shots with this lens - it's simply the one (if not the only) reason I still use my Pentax-gear.
    This is backed-up by a lens-test (all 1.2/50-55 lenses) in the german color foto-magazin where this Lens has been one of the best!

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   Pentax 1.4 and 1.7 / 50mm
    Canon 1.8/50 FD and EF
    Rollei 1.8/50
    Contax 1.4 and 1.7 /50

Submitted by Anton Browne a Intermediate from London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    f1.2

Beautifully built.

Weaknesses:    Expensive but most people don't need it.

Bottom Line:
    I suspect Chris Gee (below) is referring to the 1:2.0 lens rather than the 1:1.2 and easy and common mistake.

This fast lens is expensive because it is extreme. It is very difficult to make lenses this fast - if it were easy we'd see lots of f1.0 and f0.8 lenses. The former is extremely rare (Canon only I think) and the latter doesn't exist to my knowledge. Regarding the Pentax lens in question, you are not paying for additional quality, you are paying for additional, cutting edge speed. If you don't need it, don't buy it, you're wasting money. If you really need the speed then you have no choice. The quality wide open isn't fantastic but you're likely to be using fast film and on the edge anyway. As you stop down it compares okay to the other Pentax 50mm lenses. Difficult to rate as it's one of a kind.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Many manual focus Pentax lenses, fast ones in particular.

Submitted by Miles Green a Expert from New York

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    Bright, easy to focus, nice for low light shots. Background can be really out of focus in portraits if you decide to shoot wide open. Nicely built.

Weaknesses:    Too much like Pentax's slightly less bright but much cheaper 50mm lens.

Bottom Line:
    This is a review for the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.2. I upgraded to this lens from a 50mm SMC-M f2.0, on a K1000. Given the price difference between the two lens (the f2 was about $40, used, the 1.2 was $700-ish) I was expecting a significant improvement in the final picture quality, not just a brighter lens. Though the difference is visible if I look closely, it doesn't justify the cost. Nowhere close, actually. The prints (not pro quality) were barely distinguishable.

I also compared this lens to a Pentax 67 medium format camera with a normal lens on (90mm f2.8). Not exactly a fair comparison, but the 6x7 lens is actually cheaper! Let me put it this way - I'll be lugging the 6x7 around a lot more! I won't even try to list the differences. Maybe it isn't a fair comparison after all...

Purchased At:   B&H