Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Sigma

Closest Focusing Distance7.1 in
    Picture Angle84.1 degrees
    MPN432306
    Product ID20724417

Sigma’s 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro lens is a large aperture wide angle lens with an 84º angle of view and minimum focus distance of just 7.1 inches. The Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG lens is perfect for landscape photos, group shots and working in tight quarters. It's perfect for photo journalists, scenic, social and full-time professional photographers who are in need of a hardworking lens. Extremely compact within the category of super fast wide angle lenses and totally affordable for the professional as well as aspiring professional and student photographers.

Submitted by leorimkus a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, decent image quality, nice macro ability.

Weaknesses:    Weird AF-MF switch, size

Bottom Line:
For the price it was offered (145 EUR with 77 mm UV filter) I just couldn't miss the chance. And I am very satisfied with it. I found it to be a good companion to my FA50/1.4 if I want to have a minimal setup for low light on a APS-C camera. In a recent wedding these two lenses spent most of the time on my both cameras. I'm not a pixel peeper, but from the images that I already processed I am very satisfied with the image quality. Nice macro feature - handy for some fragments.
I experienced some accuracy problems with focusing in extremely low light (ISO1600 - wide open - 1/10-1/30 sec), but this is mostly problem of Pentax AF system - people experience the same with most fast lenses. But if the light is enough to shoot at ISO800 and f/2 - focus is fast and precise.
The only thing I am not satisfied - weird two-stem af-mf switch. You have to switch it on camera and then push the focusing ring. Sigma could just do the focusing ring narrower...

Purchased At:   secon hand

Submitted by Gilberto a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Sharp, well done, beautiful bokeh

Weaknesses:    not too fast, big size

Bottom Line:
it's more accurate and sharp than sigma 24-70ex and 24-60ex. Picture is more beautiful than my first lens canon 50/1.8. I never seen any chromatic aberrations and distorition. Mount is well done. Sigma 30/1.4 is close to 24/1.8 in quality.

Similar Products Used:   sigma 24-60, sigma 24-70 ex, sigma 30/1,4

Submitted by SRG a Professional

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2006

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    Poor exposure latitude at the high end, lack of sharpness and inconsistent focusing in poor light

Bottom Line:
This lens was a big disappointment. I returned it and lost a total of $30 in shipping costs.

I purchased it to use with my Canon 20D, and have since read on another review site (FredMiranda) that one user had great results with using this lens with his digital Rebel, but then had problems when he switched to a 20D.

At any rate, I bought this lens to use for band/concert shoots in low-light club settings. It's exposure latitude at the high end was very poor, with a lot of detail blown out.

I then performed a clinical experiment to compare it with my $90 Canon 50 mm 1.8 lens, using the exact same exposures with both lenses. Even in good lighting conditions, the Canon lens SIGNIFCANTLY outperformed the Sigma in capturing detail under direct light. In low light, this problem was exacerbated and even more visible.

I also found the Sigma lens to have poor color performance under low light.

Whether this lens performs better with other camera models, I do not know. But I want a lens that will perform well with any Canon that I may own at some point, and I want a lens that takes pictures that at the very least MATCH the quality of my $90 Canon 50 mm.

Also, the sharpness of the low light images was poor. And the lens' focusing ability was inconsistent.

For my purposes, which is primarily shoots of people, this lens is useless. I will save up my money until I can afford the Canon 24 mm 1.4, even if it is almost four times the price.

Purchased At:   B & H

Submitted by vlmodcon a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2005

Strengths:    Optical quality
Finish

Weaknesses:    The strange Sigma 2 step manual focusing setup - There must b people that damage their lenses due to this.

Bottom Line:
Optically, this is an excellent lens. Once it is stopped down to say 2.5 it is as sharp as any glass I have ever used. It has a nice heft and feel and a very nice finish. I wanted a lens for wide vistas and strong Bokeh - this lens provides both.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Canon 50mm 1.4

Submitted by Will C a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    Built like a tank. Weight helps to balance out the camera and provide more stability for those hand held shots.
Sharp focus.
Macro ability.
Price.
Case and lens hood included.
Durable.

Weaknesses:    2 step focus when changing to AF or M or vice versa. Kind of a pain but livable.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this lens to get the kind of shots I needed that. Price was excellent for an f/1.8 aperture compared to the Canon 24mm f/1.4 lens. Glass is very sharp and distortion free. Using it for macro shots is also very impressive; another reason I purchased this lens. This is one under-rated lens. If more people knew about how good it is, it would be seen on more cameras.

Purchased At:   B&H