Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Sigma

MPN436006
    UPC744563024

Submitted by divic a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing bokeh
Good contrast
Decent sharpness
Light and versatile
Colorfull
Very close focus
Build quality

Weaknesses:    Slow AF in low-light if non-center AF point is used
Loud AF
Lens flare (I do not have any filter yet, just lens hood)

Bottom Line:
I just bought this lens for my EOS 400D (rebel XTi). It works only wide open at 2.8, because it has to be re-chipped for other aperture values, but it doesnt matters to me, because I like 2.8 so much :)
It is versatile, wide enough and very sharp. I mostly use it for portraits, indoor and outdoor.

Similar Products Used:   Canon 50mm f/1.8

Submitted by fiatlux a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Corner-to-corner performances
Close focus
Bokeh

Weaknesses:    Slow AF
Flares easily

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens dirt cheap on eBay out of curiosity, given its good reputation. I used to have a Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AF-D which I sold for lack of use after going digital but had some remorse afterward.

I have tested this Sigma oldie on my D300 and on a loaned D700, and I was surprised by the results. It is actually much sharper than the Nikkor in the corners. Resolution is very even corner to corner, even at full aperture, on DX and on FX. Very close minimum focus and gorgeous bokeh.

Contrast, on the other hand is a bit lower than the Nikkor (or my Tamron 17-50 2.8). AF is pretty slow. Biggest issue is the flare when shooting against the light.

Still, a great little lens for not much money.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AF-D

Submitted by deeptha a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens for my Nikon F90x in 1998 in Tokyo. I used my F90x until 2006 and I have kept it a side because film printing become not so convenient now. Today I have given my 24mm 2.8 Sigma for fungus cleaning to Sigma Singapore, as I just bought Nikon D300. Before giving it for cleaning, I tried it with D300 and after 10 year, it work as good with the new camera.

My lens looks old, paint is bit faded off in the lens housing, but mechanically it is as good as when I bought it 10 year back. I hope it will remain the same optically, when fungus cleaning is done (if Sigma Singapore manage to clean it all).

This lens was killer for landscape photography. I have used it indoor to photograph people as I did not have any wide-angle lens (my other lens which is as old as this one is Nikon 50mm 1.4D which Nikon just cleaned and returned to me this week). When framing people, I had to be extra careful not to get anyone to the edge of the frame where they will look wider and whole photo will look unbalanced. If you take care of this, it can produce great photos indoors as well.

This one is a very rugged lens and I have carried it to many places when I travel. It has gone through very tough times, but it survived for 10 year and not ready for go again with my new camera.

Purchased At:   Yodabashi Camera, Sh

Submitted by jorgemonkey a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    Light
Sharp
Great Bokeh

Weaknesses:    AF hunting

Bottom Line:
My grandfather gave me this lens when I was getting into Photography. I have three pictures on my wall that were taken with this lens. It is nice and sharp. The AF hunts around a little bit, but for scenic shots to me its not that big of a deal.

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Pinesman a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    Clear, sharp, solid and has lasted 8 years so far with no problems. Almost certainly good enough to see off any zoom lens. Build quailty is not Canon L series, but is unmatched at this price.

Weaknesses:    Like most non Canon lenses from 8 years ago, the autofocus is woeful, but it's a 24 mm so you don't need it anyway.

Bottom Line:
Bought one of these because I couldn't afford the Canon 28mm at the time. A great little lens and affordable too.

It has produced many sharp pictures with good colour reproduction. The 24 mm focal length is more interesting than 28mm or 35mm. I find myself reaching for it more often than you might expect. Focuses right down to 40mm and takes some interesting images at that range.

Would make a great 35mm equivalent on a digital EOS, but my older version will not work with them. Have they fixed this? I do not know... Be aware of this if you are thinking of buying one.

Purchased At:   Ted's Camers