Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Sigma

MountNikon
    Closest Focusing Distance78.74 in
    Diaphragm Blades9 Blades
    MPN195306

The Sigma APO 300mm f/2.8 EX DG is a high performance telephoto lens and, for the professional photographer, is an absolute requirement. With a fast telephoto lens suitable for capturing the fastest action, whether that is a local soccer game, high school basketball in a dimly lit gym or sports cars racing. This lens also does double duty isolating single faces at a news conference or catching the bride in a candid moment at the wedding reception. Two ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion) glass elements provide optimum color correction and sharpness throughout the entire zoom range and a new multi-layer lens coating technology and lens design formula reduce flare & ghosting. When used with full frame cameras & Sigma’s 1.4x or 2x optional Tele Converters it becomes a 420mm F4 manual focus lens or a 600mm F5.6 manual focus lens respectively. For the professional or advanced amateur looking for such a lens at a value price there is no other choice than the Sigma 300mm F2.8. Equipped with all of the latest technology to compete with the camera manufacturer’s products and produces tack sharp end result images.

Submitted by Mark Stephan a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2009

Strengths:    Fast and quiet and works quite well with Sigma's teleconverters.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is the tripod collar could be a little longer like the one on the Sigma 120-300. My preference is for the center of gravity to be a little more towards the front rather than the rear of the lens.

Bottom Line:
Sold my AF Nikkor 300f4 EDIF and was looking for a 300f2.8 lens when a friend notified me that a photography store on eBay was going out of business and selling Sigma long lenses for good prices so I bid $1825 and to my surprise I won the auction and received a Sigma USA waranteed lens. The lens is fast and sharp on my D2H and D700 and the f2.8 is invaluable even on a high iso camera such as the D700.
I compared it to a friends AFS Nikkor 300f4 and I think my lens was much sharper and focused just as fast. It also excelled with Sigma's 1.4x and 2.0x tc's compared to Nikon's very expensive tc's.

Purchased At:   eBat

Similar Products Used:   AF Nikkor 300f4 EDIF.

Submitted by Mike S. a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2007

Strengths:    This lens is hitched to a Nikon D2X. The lens is light, but still needs a monpod. There was no evidence of it wanting to "hunt" in low light and it's auto focus was up to my expectations. I was really satisfied with the results, it produced in combination with the D2X. Yes. I would love another Nikon AFS 300 2.8 but the cost of such a lens is a bit disturbing and this Sigma is well up to the task, at present. Time will tell.

Weaknesses:    It comes with a drop in filter (Polariser), but there appears to be no other filters to fiit (you know..red, yellow etc). Maybe Sigma needs to work on this. I look after my gear, so I don't anticipate a problem with this lens. As I said before, only time will tell.

Bottom Line:
Had to replace my 300 2.8 Nikon. The cost of a new Nikon was just a tad out of the question, at the time. I had used a 300 2.8 AF Sigma once before (on loan) and I was impressed with the reults. So I took a punt, while in London and purchased this lens, to be used mainly for soccer and baseball.

Purchased At:   Jessops

Similar Products Used:   Nikon AFS 300 2,8 and a Sigma 120-300 2.8 AF (great lens..very underated)