Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Sony

Sony SAL-35F14G - 35mm f/1.4 G-Series Wide-Angle 35mm Primes

4 star rating
                      4 / 5 (1 Reviews)

The ultimate standard DSLR lens-with ultra-bright f1.4 performance. With its 35mm-equivalent 52.5mm focal length, the superb SAL-35F14G lens closely reproduces the natural angle of vision of the human eye making it ideal for both general photo-imaging and fine-art photography applications where zoom capability might distract you from concentrating on aesthetic properties of your subject.

Submitted by Greg McCary a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, sharp pictures, nice build quality, excellent results

Weaknesses:    A little slow in low light

Bottom Line:
If like me you love the 35mm focal length there are not a lot of options for us A mount full frame shooters. There is expensive and very expensive. I put off getting a 35mm as long as I could. I started to pick up the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 but decided since the Sony version would support AF-D I would just to get a nice used Sony version from KEH.
The biggest reason I wanted a prime was the fact I have given up on compacts for awhile. I have owned several and in the end they all have their quirks and I just can't justify leaving the full frame image quality at home.
The a99 is very light for a full frame and coupled with the 35mm G 1.4 it isn't really that bad to carry for street photography. The combo fits in my Billingham perfectly.
I have only had the lens a couple of weeks but I am very impressed and pleased with the results. Sony G version lenses are top notch and not far behind Carl Zeiss quality and with a little more post processing than a Carl Zeiss this lens will easily match the results.
It is a little slow to AF in low light but not bad. You just can't go wrong with this lens if you are looking for a nice candid prime. The bokeh is great and the pictures are sharp. I love the focal length. I grew up shooting this focal length so I find it perfect for a light weight street lens.
I bought it a KEH, as mentioned before. It didn't come with a lens hood but I picked up an original Sony hood off of Amazon for like $20.00.

Purchased At:   KEH