Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Tamron

Tamron Adaptall SP 17mm f/3.5 35mm Primes

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Manual focus - Adaptall mount

The SP17mm provides a flat-field ultra wide-angle image instead of a fish eye effect with an angular field of 104 degrees. The lens advanced optical design provides corner to corner high resolution with both good contrast and color reproduction.

Submitted by Tommyinca a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Very low barrel distorion
Corner Sharpness
Color Retention

Weaknesses:    Soft wide open.
Not that sharp at the center

Bottom Line:
I use this lens with a Canon Digital Rebel. It took me a while to get this lens to fit to a M42 adaptor and then to an EOS adaptor. The adaptall-2 aperture control mechanic gave me some trouble at first. I have to find a way to keep the M42 pin held down while at the same time, allow the lens to go in and out of the adapall mount. The adaptall-2 aperture control slide also stick to the M42-EOS mount when installed.

I was a bit disappointed initially as it is not as sharp as some reviews led me to believe. Wide open at f3.5, it is very soft. However, stop down 1 stop to f4.8 the lens become useable. 2 Stop down, it get better still. However, the result is far from the EF35/f2 or 28mm of a 28-75 f2.8 Tamron. Consider this is a super wide lens at 17mm, it is not bad.

I also compared it to my EFS18-55 kit lens (I have a very sharp copy). At 18mm, the SP17 center is not as sharp as the EFS. On the other hand, the SP17mm corners are better up to f8. At f8 and smaller, the EFS is better in sharpness at center and equal at corners.

There are other areas that the SP17mm are better than the EFS 18-55. They are: barrel distortion, the SP17 is outstanding. One would expect very visible barrel distortion with a 17mm lens. This is not the case with the Tamron 17mm. Color retention is also better with the SP17. Of course the SP17 can be manually focus and focus with DOF. The EFS18 is virtually auto-focus only ( Manual focus with the EFS is a waste of time almost).

Overall, The Tamron SP 17 is less than I expected but it is good enough to be a keeper in my prime bag, along with a EF85, EF50, EF35, EF24, and a Zenitar 16mm Fish. There really isn't that much 17mm prime for a Canon's EOS DSLR to choose from (not for what I want to pay anyway). I am OK with this one for now.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm, EF24/f2.8, EF35/f2, Zentiar 16mm/f2.8

Submitted by adphoto a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Strengths:    sharp, lack of distortion, good flare control, resolution light and comes with hood

Weaknesses:    attach filters to hood is messy-and its an 82mm (ouch)however i have found without the hood i can use a 67mm. Mine is the newer version.

Bottom Line:
Brilliant. This lens has great resolving power. Even on ordinary prints from the lab the back ground details can clearly be seen. A little low in contrast and colour but a polariser improves this. If you like wide angles get this lens

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   17-35mm sigma, 20mm pentax, 14mm tamron

Submitted by R W a Expert from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp
Well built
Clever Adaptall system enables lens to be used on all popular SLRs.
Good flare control (for an extreme wide angle)
Built-in filters (early 17mm)
Inexpensive for what you are getting

Weaknesses:    No built-in red filter. The lens hood takes screw-in 82mm filters, but it is quite awkward and difficult to use. Once, the 82mm red I was using got stuck and I had to get the repair shop to loosen it. Remember, however, this criticism is for the early version. I believe the later version of the lens lacks built-in filters, but takes screw-in ones on the lens itself.

Bottom Line:
I have the early Tamron SP 17mm model with the built in filters. I bought this lens new more than 20 years ago.

Purchased At:   Robinson Camera

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by Hari_Geninazza a Expert from Spain

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Good sharpness and contrast for a 17mm; and you don't have to pay several salaries to get one. (At least salaries like mine!). Nice old-days metal contruction (if a dog attacks you, you can surely knock him down with it.) So: pictures, price and built. And, certainly, you can buy ONLY ONE and share it with all your friends camera brands.(Maxxums/Dynax and EOS in stop-down mode). Long live Adaptall mounts!

Weaknesses:    None I can think of. And I've been using it in different situations for over a year.

Bottom Line:
I've had Tamron lenses since my first SLR in 1982. Great Adaptall-2 system, having used over 20 cameras of 8 different brands. The cameras, myself, and the lenses have improved. Tamron -as most brands- has "simple" non-discerning beginner stuff (not bad, but...), and some Professional quality lenses that can stare Nikons, Canons and even "higher" brands in the eye without any shame. Like the SP 90/2.5 macro (I tried versions 1 and 2), the SP 28-80/3.5-4.2, and certainly the SP 17/3.5. Optically sharp and contrasty (for a 17mm), and though Leica or Contax must surely have better edge and corner sharpness... the Tamron costs less than my house. I love wideangles, and this one is solid, smooth and it certainly delivers. And zoom users will rejoice again at a prime's minimum focusing distance.

Similar Products Used:   Tamron 24/2.5 (I'll comment on it when I get some first results from the lab), 24/2.5, Tamron 24-70 AF (weeelll...)