Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Canon

Camera Format35 mm SLR
    Picture Angle8.15 - 24 degrees
    Focal Length100mm - 300mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/4.5-f/5.6

Highly practical and portable telephoto zoom lens. The five zoom groups make the length only 121.5mm. With rear focusing, the lens does not change length or rotate during focusing. Any filter effects therefore remain intact. It also makes autofocusing quick and quiet.

Submitted by Inca a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Strengths:    Light, sharper than the 100-400 L lens I used wide open and stopped down. Its actually black, not an attention getter.
The autofocus is just as fast as the 100-400.

Weaknesses:    Build quality isn't as good as the 100-400, but it is reasonably good but what do you expect for $250.00

Bottom Line:
This is one nice lens for the price. I recently sold the 70-200 F4L to purchase the 100-400 IS L. Well in the mean time I borrowed a 100-300 USM to hold me over. I finally got the 100-400 L and did a comparison with them side by side on a Gitzo 1227 Reporter CF tripod. I set them both @ 300mm 5.6 aperture, turned the IS off on the 100-400 IS so I would get no weird feedback, and started shooting my test shots. I must say that the 100-300 actually beat the 100-400, side by side they looked the same, the 100-400 had a little better color and contrast, but the sharpness was actually a little behind the 100-300 if you blew it up to 100%. If you fix up the color and contrast in the 100-300 then it gave a better picture then the 100-400 L IS, Hands down. Now I dont know if I got a really good copy of the 100-300 or a really bad copy of the 100-400 IS, or both, but I'm just letting it be known that this was my experience and that I would save a great deal of money over the 100-400 and pick the 100-300 USM and a 400 5.6 prime for the same price. I'm going to order another copy of the 100-400 L lens to make sure that this test will hold true.

Similar Products Used:   70-200 F4L, best lens I ever used

Submitted by D Johns a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    -well built with smooth zooming
-nice optics
-very fast AF

Weaknesses:    - zooming a bit too smooth (but quite liveable)

Bottom Line:
A well built lens with great optics. More pricey than the 75-300 USM but well worth it. AF speed is very fast and the full time mf is a nice touch. A good match
would be the Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM. I use this lens with both Film & Digital.

Purchased At:   shop in Vancouver

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor AF 75-300

Submitted by Derrick a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    100-300 range is very useful.
usm is extrmely quite and fast.
weight is sufficiant.

Carry a 28-105 or 28-135 & 100-300 and you've cover most useful range with only two lens.

Price is right.

Weaknesses:    neads more metal in barrel.

Over all could be a little sharper.

Bottom Line:
I have been using this lens for about four years now and I find it to be a pretty decent performer. while its not the best 100-300 around it certainly isn't a slouch either. From 100-200 it is pretty sharp and at 300 with a tripod it is very good too. If your only enlarging from 5x7 -8x10 it will serve you very well even at 300.

when going higher use a tripod and you'll get some respectable 11x14 too.

Purchased At:   Cutler Camera

Submitted by Marccuba a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2003

Strengths:    150-450 zoom with a digital EOS,
solid, compact

Weaknesses:    slow AF, hezitating too much.
optical performance at 300mm position.

Bottom Line:
In the telezoom range there's no great offer if you are not able to spend a lot of bucks. I wanted a USM and I had the choice between this one and the 75-300 IS. I'm quiet glad about the optical performance, although there's better to get at the 300mm position, but what especially bithers me on this lens is the AF: s-l-o-o-o-o-w!!!
On the other hand, with a digital rebel, it makes a 150-450 zoom, which makes up for all the rest.
Still looking out to get a 75-300 IS USM though.

Purchased At:   second hand store

Submitted by PPAD a Intermediate from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Strengths:    Good between 100-200mm. Fairly rugged.

Weaknesses:    Zoom creep. Poor image quality at 200mm to 300mm.

Bottom Line:
I have had this lens for more than 4 years and shoot primarily head portraits of family and friends and animals at the outdoor zoo. At the time I bought the lens, it was highly rated in the literature. Between 100-200mm, the lens performs very well indeed. Enlargements of up to 8X12 look good. More than 200mm, the images become soft. Handholding at 300mm is not advisable unless with fast film or its a bright day. The zoom creep, as has been mentioned by others, is bad. The lens immediately jumps out to the 300mm setting each time you sling the camera on your shoulder. It has a plasticky feel about it, but is actually a little solider than it looks. Mine has survived some knocks and some light rain. Never had to service it. For the price however, you might expect a little better performance especially at the long end. But the Canon 75-300mm is even worse. I hear that a good alternative (and cheaper) is the Sigma DL70-300APO Macro. My friendly store (very knowledgeable) rates this lens well.

Purchased At:   Cathay Photo (Singap

Similar Products Used:   Canon 75-300mm.