Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Canon

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM 35mm Zoom

4.69/5 (64 Reviews)
Focal Length : 100mm - 400mm | Max. Aperture : f/4.5-f/5.6  | Focus : Autofocus

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5- 5.6L IS USM lens offers high resolution, superb contrast, neutral color balance, and Canon's original built-in Image Stabilizer function. High zoom magnification is achieved by means of a 6-group configuration with 5 movable groups. Fluorite and Super UD glass completely eliminate secondary spectrum for superb color rendition. Autofocusing is fast and silent with Canon's ring USM, and AF speed is further enhanced through an advanced, lightweight rear focusing design that incorporates a floating element for consistent image quality at all focusing distances from 5.9' to infinity. This lens is also equipped with a dual-mode Image Stabilizer suitable for panning as well as stationary subjects. With full-time manual focus, one-touch zooming with a wide grip, and a special ring that permits adjustment of zooming friction, this is a lens that's extremely easy to use, and ideal for a wide variety of applications including nature, wildlife, sports, and documentary photography.

Submitted by Leo a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2013

Strengths:    Nice reach, good IQ even on a Fullframe , solid build,IS

Weaknesses:    IS shows it's age. I need two hands to control the tightening ring.

Bottom Line:
Very nice zoom with very big reach, there is no alternative. I have had the 400 F5.6L but saw no better IQ. The IS makes it possible to work without a mono-pod, but you need daylight off-course. Nice zoom for a visit to the zoo for example.
I am extra careful for dust, after use I blow the lens clean. I have seen examples of this lens with dust between the lenses, the design of the push and pull could have to do with that. Just be a little more careful, that's all.
Second hand you can get this lens for about 900 euro, a great buy.

Purchased At:   second-hand

Submitted by ksbryan0 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    Coupled with the 7D, this lens has a very convenient reach that allows captures of skittish wildlife. The focus sweet spot on my copy is in the F8-11 range, but is performs well at most any aperature smaller than wide-open. Though heavy, this lens is built like a tank and could probably be used as a defensive weapon or a baseball bat, without suffering any damage! Nearly all my shooting is done hand-held, and I have found the IS effectively delivers 1.5-2 F-stops. This is a little less than Canon advertises, but my hands tend to shake considerably normally-even worse after lugging this tool around for a couple hours. The Canon-provided lens hood has effectively prevented flare during all my shooting. The lens offers a very useful field of view range for a lot of all around shooting. I have used this lens for pseudo-macro photography of flowers and insects, and it has produced exceptional results, and does a nice job of blurring the background and delivers subtle bokeh when lighting conditions are right.

Weaknesses:    You won't have to read many reviews to find that a common complaint about this lens is it's weight, and there is no question that it is a heavy unit. Some will see this as a drawback, but it is also a testatment to the quality of construction. I suspect it could take a lot of abuse and still perform well, but I am not going to intentionally test that theory. If you haven't packed around long L-lens before, it will take some getting use to before it feels natural. The only performance weakness that I believe is serious is that, even when mounted on the 7D, in AF mode it has a hard time accurately adjusting focus on fast moving objects that are approaching or moving away, such as birds in flight. To some degree, it also seems to need more contrast for the AF to sharply lock focus than the Canon EF 70-200 2.8 L. I have tried to use a 1.4 TC II with this lens and have determined that the magnification becomes too great for me to effectively hand-hold the lens while shooting. The AF does not function when using the TC unless the pins are taped, but even then I have not been satisfied with the keep-rate of my results.

Bottom Line:
After viewing a large number of images on a multitude of forums that were created using the Canon EF 100-400 4-5.6 IS L, I decided to give it a try myself. A Craigslist ad described a used, two-owner copy as near mint condition, which I determined to be accurate when I inspected it. Mounted to a Canon EOS 7D, I started to get to know my new L-lens. The push-pull method this model requires for the tele-zoom takes a little getting use to, but within a reasonable amount of time it started feeling 'normal' to me. The bigger adjustment was simply getting use to the extra weight of this lens and finding a comfortable way to carry it for a long period of time, especially when extended to the 400 mm setting. Over the past 6+ months I have had the opportunity to challenge the lens in a wide variety of shooting situations and conditions, and am satisfied enough with it that I have reached a point where I nearly consider it permanently installed to the 7D, and my "go-to" wildlife lens choice.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 70-200 2.8 L
Canon EF 24-70 2.8 L

Submitted by ben wigg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    easy to use

Weaknesses:    none if you ask me

Bottom Line:
i am a sporting photographer for a local soccer club and if u ask me this lense
is the best telephoto zoom lense i have ever used i tema it up with a canon eos 50d and on my other camera i have a 28-135 standard lense canon eos 500d
i would reccomend this lense to any one from amatures to proffesional i also like the idea of the slide zoom it is conveniant because of the size of the lense

Purchased At:   of a friend

Similar Products Used:   sigma 50-500

Submitted by iclick a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Well made, Excellent sharpness smooth operation. I love the push pull zoom it is fast and smooth.

Weaknesses:    None, it is just an allaroud wonderful tool.

Bottom Line:
Excellent images on both FF 5D and 1.6 20D. Allows sharp selective focusing close in and long reaching telephoto. Teamed with the 24-1o5 an outdoor photographer will need only a superwide and a Macro to cover all aspects of the world. With the 20D crop factor you can rewach out and capture wildlife at incredible distance without disturbing anything. I have sold many 24 x 36 images taken with this lense with little or no software processing.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by readingr a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Strengths:    Quick to acquire focus
IS is a bonus hand held
Construction
Contrast
Balance with the 5D
Hood included in price

Weaknesses:    Small amount of vignetting at full open max zoom (bird against bright sky) but not a real problem
Zoom tightening control requires two hands
Cost of filters

Bottom Line:
Recently bought with a 5D with the intention is to use for wildlife photography.

Still learning to use the IS and its 2 modes but seems quick to focus on the subject.
Still learning how to use the lens and the camera features to get the most out of the lens.

The pictures so far seem sharp at all lengths. The zoom ring needs to be kept reasonably tight to prevent the lense slamming forward when pointing down and to prevent unintentional movement when zooming. Still not found an easy way of doing this one handed yet.

Manual focusing is quick and easy and the zoom being in the same ring makes composing easy.

Still mastering but at the moment I am pleased with the ability on the 5D and the pictures so far are terrific and getting better as I'm getting used to it.

Weight I thought would be an issue but not finding this as it seems to be balanced nicely with the 5D body.

Construction is excellent and everything feels well put together.