Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Canon

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM 35mm Zoom

5/5 (4 Reviews)

• MPN1910b002
    Weightoz

The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM is a high performance, water-resistant, and ultra wide-angle Canon L-series lens. It has been specifically designed for improved edge-to-edge image quality that will meet the strict requirements of professional and high-end amateur photographers. It features 3 high-precision aspherical lens elements, each of a different type: ground, replica and GMo for even better image quality than the original EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM. The circular aperture produces a beautiful and natural background blur when shooting at wider apertures. Other features include internal focusing, a ring type USM (Ultra Sonic Monitor), and new AF algorithms for fast and quiet autofocusing.

Submitted by Doug Vann a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    build quality, extra sharp pictures, great wide angle view

Weaknesses:    A little expensive but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommend this lens. Did a wedding shoot this weekend and gave me excellent results matched to my Canon 5D mkII camera. Super sharp..... Allows you to get creative with the extra wide angle view of 16mm. Very solid build.

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 50mm f1.5, Canon 24-105 L f4

Submitted by manuelguerzoni a Professional

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2008

Strengths:    1. build quality
2. speed of autofocus
3. f/2.8 all the way
4. no barrel distorsion
5. sharp at any aperture

Weaknesses:    1. price

Bottom Line:
This lens is my primary shooting lens. I use it on a full frame digital camera. I do believe that this is the best wide-angle lens Canon has to offer. I realize that the price of the 17-40 is a tempting alternative to many. The 16-35 is however optically superior and does not present any barrel distorsion even at 16mm. The 17-40 does present barrel distorsion up to 21mm.

This lens is by far the best lens I have ever had in my hands.

Here's just one example of the graphical quality that this lens can produce: http://www.sanfranciscodailyphoto.com/index.php?showimage=98

Purchased At:   amazon.com (april 20

Similar Products Used:   16-35 f/2.8 Mark I
17-40 f/4.0

Submitted by ianjenn a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    1. Build
2. Colors it captures so well.
3. Short zoom
4. fits full frame
5. Constant F2.8
6 WATERPROOF!

Weaknesses:    1. HUGE 82mm Filter
2. Needs filter to be waterproof

Bottom Line:
I shoot a fair amount of sports images. I have a 15 mm FISHEYE but wanted something with some range and less distortion. I have a 1D MARK IIn and also a 40D and the old 20D. I typically shoot DH mountain biking, motocross and some kids sports.
I used the lens at home a few times and kinds got a feel for its range. When shooting up close to something at F2.8 the background blur is good. I rented a 17-40 earlier this year and found this to be a little sharper. I would say at F2.8 this is better then the 17-40 at F4. The color are a little better, but for 2X the price I would hope so!
Below are links to a few images from last week!

THE LENS IS WORKING OUT VERY WELL. I AM GLAD I SPENT THE EXTRA $$$ OVER THE 17-40! THE F2.8 COMES IN HANDY FOR LOW LIGHT!

Purchased At:   used out of LA

Similar Products Used:   Canon 17-40
Canon 10-22

Submitted by DEvianT a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Superb contrast.
Superb colour.
Superb Sharpness.
Excellent distortion control.
Sends ETTL II distance information for very accurate flash exposure.
Weather sealed.
Solid build quality (Like a tank in fact!)
Blisteringly fast and silent ring USM focus motors.

Weaknesses:    82mm Filter sizes not common to other L lenses and VERY expensive.
The price is very high compared to the 17-40mm L USM which is also excellent.

Bottom Line:
The new incarnation of the superb 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM is a beautiful piece of engineering. It's been completely re-designed with hi-resolution digital SLR's sensors and ETTL II flash guns in mind.

It now has three ultra low dispersion lens elements added has been treated with Canon's new Super Spectra coatings to minimise internal reflections and ghosting that can be an issue in DSLR's due to the reflective nature of CMOS or CCD sensors.

However as the 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM was arguably Canon's flagship wide angle zoom already what do you get for the upgrade? How does it look in it's 'Mark II' incarnation when compared to it's siblings the MK I or even the 17-40mm L USM?

Like the 17-40mm and the 16-35mm MK I the minimum focus remains 0.28m the MK II also retains the six blade circular aperture of the MK I giving a pleasing background blur at f/2.8. However it jumps up to a massive 16 lens elements in 12 groups compared to the 17-40mm's 12 elements in 9 groups.

The lens differs again in that it uses new ring USM motors to focus. Now the original 16-35 or 17-40 where no slouches in this department but these focus motors are very rapid and totally silent. The focus also seems unerringly accurate and doesn't hunt. Another new addition is that the lens now also relays distance information to the camera body. This is used by ETTL II to provide extra information to better expose when using flash. I found this to give noticeable benefit to flash exposures using this lens.

What can't be shown by MTF graphs and pictures of lens test charts is the amazing quality of the images from this lens. They have that certain something you can't quite put your finger on. A beautiful rich colour and contrast coupled with a sharpness that just oozes the 'L' factor. I found myself Oooing and Ahhing over the test prints which is not something I make a habit of I can assure you.

Another immediately apparent benefit of this lens is it's distortion control. When the original 16-35mm was compared with a 17-40mm by myself way back I noted that the control of distortion such as converging verticals when tilting the lens.

I also found that this lens is near impossible to make it flare. It's amazing in this regard. I did manage to make it happen by putting it at 4 degrees to mid day sun but even then it was only part of the image that flared.

All in all I can't fault this lens on anything at all except the price.I feel this is very very high when compared to the superb 17-40mm F/4 L. For the difference in price you do get 1 stop extra aperture, better image quality and faster focus. However the focus on a 17-40mm is fast enough and the image quality while not as good is still superb. If you have an existing 16-35mm MK I I'd not consider an upgrade worth it though I do think if moving up from a 17-40mm you will notice the extra quality. If you have any other wide angle I have tried it just blows them out the water...

Price Paid:    $2000.00