Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Canon

Closest Focusing Distance19.69 in
    Picture Angle18 - 75 degrees
    Image StabilizationWith Image Stabilization
    MPNCN28135

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

Submitted by Joe Cap a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    IF you get a good sample, it is sharp and focuses quickly. Great range for full frame

Weaknesses:    SAMPLE VARIATION!!! BIG TIME

Bottom Line:
The first copy that I bought of this lens was optically defective. The center and left side were sharp, but the right was soft even stopped down. I sold it. I checked out another sample at my local Photo Shop and that one (made in Taiwan) was uniform, but the edges were soft and dark. I told the sales person my story with this lens, so she took one off of a 7D kit. This one was sharp to the edges and had no falloff (made in Japan). I bought it. It turns out that it was serviced and adjusted by Canon before they received it. It took 3 to get a good one (with Canon's adjustments). Your results WILL VARY...

Purchased At:   Hunt Photo

Similar Products Used:   Ef 28-105mm, Ef 35-105mm, Tamron SP24-135mm

Submitted by AFotographer a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Price / performance ratio is pretty good
IS works well

Weaknesses:    AF can be a bit flaky
One-lens-fits-all design results in compromises that won't suit everybody

Bottom Line:
It's not bad....but it's not great either, especially if you try and compare it to far more expensive lenses (which for some reason a lot of the reviewers here seem to be doing). But this is not an expensive lens. It looks, feels and performs like a reasonable walkabout lens.

If you're a professional photographer then you won't want one. If you're solely taking landscape photo's then you won't want one. If you spend your time on portrait photos, you won't want one. If you only do macro shots, then guess what? You won't want one.

But, if you're not a professional and need a general purpose zoom lens for around £300 (new, UK price) then this is a very attractive proposition.

Let's not also forget - the lens is only as good as the rest of the hardware you are using. If you have a £2000 body, £1000 printer and £800 monitor then of course you're going to see more defects in the photos, using a £300 lens!

I've got this lens on a Canon 500D body and am very happy with the combination.

So, with all this in mind, it gets 4 stars value rating and 2 stars Overall. Yes, there a re infinitely better lenses available, but not for the same money.

Purchased At:   Ebay (used)

Similar Products Used:   Several

Submitted by Tristan Massey a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    Good at sucking the money out of your wallet for a piece of crap.

Weaknesses:    Just about everything.

Bottom Line:
This lens is one of the worst lenses i have ever tried, in my entire 35 years of photography. End of story. Definitely NOT worth even the $100 i paid for it.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   I have used many lenses, I own 24 myself. This is by far the worst.

Submitted by steve bailey a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Strengths:    Good range, decent sharpness, can be used on film cameras, too.

Weaknesses:    Some zoom creep
Not super small
can pick up dust

Bottom Line:
A strong lens for light but serious travel photography on crop digital. I match it with the Tokina 12-24 f4(an excellent lens) and get 19-200+ range on the digital Rebel, with IS on the upper end. Though it's a slow lens, that's not as bad on the digitals as the Canon CMOS makes great pictures at high ISO's. I also use it on my EOS 3 for film shots and it does a good job there, too. If you get a good copy, you'll be very pleased. (I shoot RAW any way and my shots are always a bit neutral until I post process; the lens provides good detail for that.)

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Canon 50 1.8, 35 2, 28-70 2.8L, 70-200 4L
Tokina 12-24 f4

Submitted by tim Geraghty-Groves a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Strengths:    Build Quality

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
Crap. I've had this lens now for 18mths and I'm always questioning the quality of the images. I've taken it on 4 overseas trips as a walkaround lens and I have never been happy with the images when I have returned.
The fall out of quality towards the edges at any focal lenght is unaceptable for a lens of this price. I use this lens with a UV filter and a CR Pl filter and the brightness in the view finder on my 30D is so low. I have had it back to Canon twice for repairs over the time that I have had it, both times the AF would be incorrect at the full wide and full zoom. The IS would never settle upon focusing and the image would "jump" in the view finder.
I have now started to use the 70 to 300mm kit lens more often again as that lens seems to be more reliable in focasing and image results. (bad indictment for the AU$780 28-135mm lens)
If I had known that this lens was as bad as it was I would have sunk the money into a 70-200 f/4 L and done away with the loss in focal lenght from between my 10 to 22mm canon (which is a far more superior quality lens for the money compared to the 28 to 135mm) and the "L" series.

If I had paid AU$200 for this lens I wouldn't mind, but the premium price does not reflect the quality of the lens that you get.

Other Lens that I use and have done direct comparisons too are:
Canon 50mm f/1.8 macro
Canon 85mm f/1.8 Macro
Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
Canon 10-22mm f/3.5
Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 Kit lens
Canon 70-300mm f/3.5 Kit lens

If you are interested I have comparitive Koren lens test files between the 28-135mm, 70-300mm and the 100mm for a true comparison.