Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Canon

Closest Focusing Distance51.6 in
    Picture Angle12 - 34 degrees
    Image StabilizationWith Image Stabilization
    MPN7042A003

Incorporating Canon’s second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

Submitted by gahspidy a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Costly, but I don't believe overly expensive. this is one good piece of glass.

Bottom Line:
Several months ago I finally decided to shell out the 1400.00 on this lens. Quite simply it is one of the best investments in photography that I have ever made. The lens is outstanding, both in build quality and performance.
Having a constant 2.8 aperture AND IS has enabled me to capture images that would have otherwise just been impossible.
A good example of the benefits of this lens is in a bird series I have been working on which can be seen in my gallery at www.garyhellerphotography.com
These bird images were mostly captured with this lens. They were taken in a bird exhibit at the Bronx zoo. A tripod is not allowed in the facility and so getting these shot handheld was a challenge. This lens allowed me to capture shots that were mostly zoomed to full 200mm with a shutter speed of approx. 1/90 at about 800 iso. . .handheld and sharp! This is quite incredible. The sharpness and contrast straight from the camera with this lens is remarkable.Yes, it is expensive and yest it is huge, but worth every ounce and penny.
And so theres my two cents. . .

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon 70-200 f4.0 ,Tamron 75-300mm macro

Submitted by DunelmPhoto a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Image Quality
Build Quality
Extremely Sharp
Image Stabilizer is superb

Weaknesses:    Maybe Price - But you get what you pay for!

Bottom Line:
After months of deliberation I sold my Canon 70-200mm f4 L lens and bought the f2.8 IS version. After using the f2.8 IS version for a few weeks I'm very impressed.

The difference between this lens and the f4 L is massive. Yes, the f4 L was sharp however I always struggled to keep the shutter speeds high enough to ensure sharp shots and often resorted to increasing ISO levels (thereby introducing additional nooise).

The 70-200mm f2.8 IS L is so much more usable, the IS system is superb - At 1/60 sec. and 200mm all shots are sharp, I've even had some sharp shots at 1/25 sec. at 200mm!!!! To guarantee sharp shots with my f4 L I needed at least 1/250 sec.

Also, I love shooting portraits with the f2.8 - Backgrounds are beautifully blurred and the subjects stand out much more than with the f4 L.

Image quality is superb, it is very sharp at f2.8 and even sharper at f4.

Finally, don't worry about the weight / size - I thought it may be an issue but to be honest, I haven't even noticed it - After you've used it once or twice it just feels 'normal'.

This lens is much more expensive than the f4 version, and quite a lot more than the f2.8 non IS version but in my opinion it is worth every penny - It's just so much more versatile. It is, without doubt, the best lens I've ever used !!

Similar Products Used:   Canon 70-200mm f4 L

Submitted by eregis a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    Build - do not doubt its solidity. This lens has it all wit 2 modes on the image stabiliser. Incredibly clean shots, sharp angles, clear focus and fast and quiet.

Surprisingly decent with converter and zooming is wonderfully fluid.

Yes its expensive but you get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    Weight - but it is what one would expect.

Bottom Line:
One of the great zoom lenses. I hired one for a day and walked round london doing some street photography. Like it so much that I bought one on a business trip to HK.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 24-70 USM L 2.8
Canon 50mm F 1.4
Sibma 20mm HSM

Submitted by toti abul a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    I shoot a wedding last weekend, i took a tight shot of the couple at f/ 2.8,1/60 with iso 800 @ 200mm IS on with my 30D, inside an 18th century church with two 500 watts light set up, one on each side, around 20 ft from the couple, the shot was tact sharp, the colors are brillant and the contrast is just great. All the shots that i took were done with out flash and yet so clean. The pictures gives the feeling of the of the mood of the moment. Its like going back on the time machine. And WOW AF is so FAST and so QUIET. Zooming is EXCELLENT and the weigth is heavy??? if you dont know the timing, rhythm and how to hold the lens properly. The Price is just fine for this AWESOME LENS.

Weaknesses:    Honestly the lens is heavy if youre already tired. So for me i make sure that i have a good sleep before a big shoot.

Bottom Line:
Almost everything that i have read from the review on this site regarding this lens are right. And finally after just barrowing my friend's lens once in a while for more than a year every time i need it. And after PRAYING about it, i decided to buy myself on my birthday as my gift to myself. And man what a great way to be BLESSED.

Purchased At:   DC Career Co Digital

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 28-135 IS USM
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM

Submitted by yalazy a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    This lens is very sharp, focuses very fast and silent, and with IS it is possible to use it handheld in almost any situation. Colour rendition is very pleasing. Even though I often use primes I don't want to be without this one. When you need a medium-tele zoom and don't have time to change lenses this one is the best to get.

I set the value rating to 4, as it is an expensive lens for most of us. Still, if you can afford one, it is very good value indeed.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great zoom lens. Very useful even if its a heavy piece to lug around.

Similar Products Used:   I previously owned the non-IS version of this lens for several years. It is said the non-IS is sharper, but even though I never did an actual test I find the results very similar. Both lenses are superb, but IS is a BIG advantage for handholding and shooting still or slow-moving objects. Especially if you're like me, a thin woman with spaghetti arms :)