Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Konica Minolta

Closest Focusing Distance19.2 in
    Picture Angle23 - 84 degrees
    MPN2672110
    Product ID20724318

• Ultra compact 4.3x zoom lens. • Wide focusing ring for comfort and better control. • Non rotating front during Autofocusing. • Support Minolta's ADI flash metering.

Submitted by Kambiz a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    It is light and nice.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
It is a lovely lense from wide angle to mid tele.

Purchased At:   www.warehouseexpress

Similar Products Used:   200mm

Submitted by Joseph Lee a Intermediate from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    The wide 24-105 range is great for family/holiday snapshots. I find the 24mm end comes in very handy. The aperture range of f/3.5-f/4.5 is also pretty good for this type of zoom.

For a 24-105 range the lens barrel is very compact. I have been able to use the built-in flash on my 600si without any shadowing effects (I remove the lens hood first). The weight of the lens is also quite acceptable (395g). The zoom ring turns reasonably smoothly, and I haven't experienced any zoom creep so far. The manual focussing ring does not rotate in AF mode, which is great. An internal focussing mechanism means that the front of the lens also does not rotate during focussing. Overall, build quality is very good, and the lens looks smart on my 600si.

So far, the 6x4 prints I have produced are very sharp and extremely contrasty. Flare control is excellent. Distortion isn't noticeable apart from at the shortest focal lengths.

Weaknesses:    On my sample you have to use a fair amount of turning force to click the lens hood into place, so much so that the front of the lens wobbles slightly, which is a bit of a worry at first. In my opinion, the lens hood could also be sturdier.

The focussing speed on 600si was not as fast as I had hoped, in fact, not significantly faster than my old Sigma 28-105 or Tamron 28-80 (my 600si does have a reputation for slow AF though). I suppose this lens needs to be paired with a camera like the Dynax/Maxxum 7 for best AF performance. During focussing, there's a distinctive buzzing sound - but I think this is mainly due to noise from the 600si's lens drive motor. I've tried this lens with a 7 before and this combination was fairly quiet.

Vignetting is highly evident at 24mm for wide apertures, especially in low light shots. Some distortion is noticeable at 24mm.

Bottom Line:
A well-designed, compact lens with an extremely useful zoom range, which produces excellent results.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 28-105 f/4-5.6 UC (not particularly sharp, suffers from severe distortion and uneven sharpness across the frame)
Tamron 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 (quite sharp, but prone to flare)

Submitted by Andrew Baggott a Casual from Lincoln,UK

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Strengths:    Can't add any that haven't already been mentioned.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I disagree with the negative comments about the hood being difficult to use. I've just got mine out of the box and found it straightforward!! I haven't tried it with a filter, but it goes on easily both ways.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Minolta 100-300 APO

Submitted by lonorati a Intermediate from Rome (Italy)

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    Compact, light, covers the range you generally need and it's quite nice.
Great sharpness (both at wide and at tele), excellent flare and distortion control, good color rendition.

Weaknesses:    The hood is quite hard to put on, the lack of a back-light makes it difficult to read the display in low-light situations.

Bottom Line:
Great lens, perfect match to my Dynax 5: I bought it in exchange for the 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 which came with the camera (a horrible lens) and I made a real bargain!

Similar Products Used:   Minolta 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 (a piece of junk), Minolta 50mm f/1.7 (very good price-quality)

Submitted by paulyuen a Intermediate from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Strengths:    Light and compact, very good colour rendition, tick sharp, very fast focus, circular aperture produces beautiful out-focus fore/background.

Weaknesses:    Can't put lens hood on when using polarizer (haven't used slim one yet).

Bottom Line:
Although most of the time I shoot at the wide angle range, this lens appeals me a lot. This lens is a perfect match to my Dynax 7 and it stays with my camera 99% of the time (1% with the 100-300mm APO D lens).

Purchased At:   Man Shing, HK