Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Konica Minolta

Konica Minolta AF 28-135mm f 4-5.6 35mm Zoom

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

This lens is incredibly lightweight and flexible.

Submitted by annapoal a Intermediate from Annapolis, MD USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    Image quality
image quality across zoom range
good zoom range
Internal focus
great used price for a prolevel lens

Weaknesses:    very heavy
only f/4-4.5 for a 72mm lens
72mm filters expensive
no hood
must watch out for flair
minimum focus 5'

Bottom Line:
Excellent images with only slight fall off at over 100mm. Very heavy. Internal focus is fairly fast. Compared to early minolta 28-85, very slightly less color saturation and contrast, though maybe truer. Very sharp and low distortion at both ends. Warch out for flair, no hood and front element right up front. If a filter is used multicoated is a good idea.

Similar Products Used:   minoltas that I own
28-85 f/3.5-4.5 early crossed x excellent
70-210 f/4 excellent
Minoltas I have used
50mm f/1.7 limited use a f/1.7
300mm f/4 saving now maybe some day

Submitted by wrayburn a Casual

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    - it is breathtakingyly sharp from edge to edge. This is the main strength and is the only reason needed to use this lens.
But also:
- no vignetting I can detect
- build quality that is out of this world
- a good heavy weight I like very much, complemented by being well-balanced
- Pretty good macro, certainly for my purposes
- Internal focussing speeds up autofocus and of course lets you use polarisers and other filters more easily.

Weaknesses:    Nothing that would prevent me adding one to my collection but to bear in mind:
- very heavy - it may not sit well on the lighter Dynax bodies.
- Quite a long minimum focussing distance - about 5 feet.

Bottom Line:
I don't really understand the description for this lens at the top of the page which describes it as "incredibly lightweight". The exact opposite is nore accurate.
The lens apparently was and is amongst the best lenses Minolta ever made.
Not having had the chance to test the current top-end Minolta lenses, I can't really say. Apparently it rivals the "G" lenses. BUT from one roll of film I shot specifically to test this lens I can say that compared to any other Minolta-fit lens I have tried (some cheaper sigmas, tamrons, Minolta's current consumer zooms) it is so far beyond these in optical quality it is unreal.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   None. Well, I have used some consumer zooms but none at this quality, so they don't really count.

Submitted by ichiu a Casual from California

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp, accurate color reproduction, almost constant aperture thoughout the zoom, versatile zoom range, excellent travel lens, metal barrel, internal focus, macro at 28mm.

Weaknesses:    Vignetting with my Cokin filter system at 28mm. Cannot use onboard flash at 28mm. A little slow (f/4) for being such a big lens. Actually wished it had a little bit more plastic or hard rubber to protect the metal from little scratches. Minimum focus at 5feet. Macro function only at 28mm.

Bottom Line:
What a great lens for the money. Great travel lens. As far as I can tell with my naked eye, it's as sharp as my 50mm f1.4. Even at f/22, it's sharp edge to edge. Excellent heavy duty build, metal mount, metal barrel. Macro at 28mm down to about 6 inches, but not very useful. If I could, I would give it 4.5 stars for value and performance. It's not quite the perfect, but it's a great all-around zoom lens. A must have for your minolta users.

Similar Products Used:   Minolta 28-80mm
Minolta 35-70mm
Tamron 28-200mm

Submitted by EagleEye a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    This lens offers exceptional clarity and shapness across an ideal range of focal lengths - 28mm works extremely well on scenic shots as well as for indoor/architectural photography, and 135mm covers most telephoto applications outside of sports or wildlife photography, where I use my 75-300 zoom. I also find it to be a fast enough lens to be able to make effective use of 200 and even 100 film

Weaknesses:    This is an extremely heavy and bulky lens. That is the price you pay for all glass lenses and the commensurate sharpness and clarity. The size of the lens can interfere with short distance pop-up flash photography (round shadow at the bottom of the photograph). However if you are prepared to put up with the bulk, it offers excellent sharpness at second hand prices.

Bottom Line:
I have had exceptional results in the past with my trusty Minolta 35-105, which I have had for many years. This all-glass lens gives at least equivalent - and in some cases better - results right across the spectrum.
The downside is that this is a bulky, heavy lens. Bulky enough that I took out a Minolta 24-105 lens for a 30 day trial. When the 24-105 lens provided results that were not even close to either my 35-105 or the 28-135 lens, I returned the 24-105 and kept the 28-135 which I have used ever since as my prime lens.
The only other drawback to this lens, is its large diameter means that you really should not use it with the pop up flash at less than a 35mm focal length indoors.

Purchased At:   McBains