Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Konica Minolta

• 16 Lens elements, 13 groups
  • Minimum focus distance of 5.9 feet

Submitted by doug a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2017

Strengths:    Fast telephoto zoom with APO lens - makes smooth bokeh. Focuses quickly on A6000 & LE-A2. Build quality is solid but noisy by today's standards. Saves me $2000. I shot into sun hiding behind a tree trunk and found no CA. Camera correction is found on DxO Optics Pro. Color is so nice, and sharp. One video comparison it showed up the Sony SEL 2.8/70-200.

Weaknesses:    I'm whining when I say it's heavy, yet compared to many other similar lens it is on the light side.

Bottom Line:
    I'm elated that I found this incredible lens @ $700 on e-bay. Was hoping that I could upload a picture i took to show the separation between subject and background's buttery smooth bokeh.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Charles a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Image quality -Sharpness, contrast, accurate colour rendition, defocussing quality, unnoticeable distortions, positive AF, beautiful handling, exceptional build quality.

Weaknesses:    No for me

Bottom Line:
    Exellent lens. Very sharp, especially at 2.8. I had this lens for 6 years. Used on 800si and 7d, fast in foucse. My favor lens.

Purchased At:   HK

Similar Products Used:   Konica Minolta AF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
    Konica Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4
    Konica Minolta AF 35-80mm f 4-5.6
    Tamron AF90-300mm f/4.5-5.6

Submitted by Hartanto a Intermediate from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight for handheld
    Superb Optical Quality
    Solid build
    72mm Filter
    Great portrait lens as well as telephoto

Weaknesses:    No Internal Focus

Bottom Line:
    WOW!!! That's the word when I first saw the picture taken by this lens.

Using @200mm f4 1/250 Handheld. The colour and sharpness is incredible.

Excellent sharpness from f2.8 to f22 @80-200.

Why spend US$900 for a f2.8 lens? a lot of people may ask....

Question is why you want to take the picture at the first place?

Love this lens because I can handheld it most of the time.

Using 2x Converter, still get me f5.6 instead of f8 or f11.

Wise choice! Best lens ever made!

Purchased At:   eBay Australia

Similar Products Used:   Canon f2.8 L series lens
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8

Submitted by Jong Cherly a Professional from Jakarta,Indonesia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Strengths:    1.Sharp optic 2.highlight&Shadow detail Very good 3.Best colour among Japanese lens made

Weaknesses:    Noisy AF

Bottom Line:
    Only Minolta G lens & Leica can produced 3D effect picture on (photoprint that acctualy 2D) because of their true sharpnest,not contrast(contrast lens seem sharp but not actually produced sharp)you can proof it by compare other lens&camera; take picture 3D object in same object same continuous lighting same film (fuji reala or kodak royal gold iso 100)must take with tripod&cable release cropped the film area as little as possible in same area than print minimum 20X25cm in same professional lab in some day. You will see the differences result . My past other 35mm camera are Leica,Contax,Nikon,after I used Minolta later & compare each other I sold them. Note I still respect to Leica lens not the camera.

Purchased At:   hobbies plaza,Jakart

Submitted by Joe Fernandez a Professional from MD USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Strengths:    STUNNING OPTICAL QUALITY
    -Apochromatic lens design yields blistering sharpness even at maximum aperture with no sign of color "fringing" due to the use of Minolta's AD (Anomalous Dipersion)glass. Amazingly, Minolta managed to correct chromatic aberrations with only one AD lens element(the 13th element in the optical design)
    -Excellent color fidelity, vivid yet natural colors, and even more important: color characteristics match the rest of Minolta's professional G-Series lineup.
    -Superior contrast range, more highlight and shadow detail...I honestly think that a lot of lenses from other brands rely a lot on high contrast to give the impression of apparent sharpness, at the expense of having shadow detail block up and/or highlights blowing out...
    -Negligible levels of distortion at any focal length.
    -Very flare resistant, and circular aperture design ensures that distracting background clutter is blurred beautifully especially when shooting wide-open at the longer end of the zoom range.
    -Professional quality build, this lens is designed to withstand regular heavy use. Mine is still spanking new so it is a bit "heavy" in the zoom ring but that will get better with

Weaknesses:    I'm pretty picky on lenses, and yes, even this gem has a few downsides...But even so, the optical quality is just THAT good, so I will just live with its flaws.
    1- Rotating front filter thread. I don't plan on using graduated filters on this lens at all, and I seldom use polarizers except for landscapes (where I'll be better off with a wideangle anyway), so that isn't a huge issue for me. The only filter I use is the multicoated UV filter to protect the front element so it can rotate all it wants. But if you make extensive use of these type of filters, it'll be a headache...
    2-Minimum focusing distace: 5.9 feet
    Its rivals from the other manufacturers are able to focus closer. This is probably due to the Minolta's non-IF design. It must be noted that Minolta's 80-200/2.8 design was last updated to G-Series status in 1993 and it was mainly cosmetic and mechanical improvements. Unless I'm mistaken, the optical formula of this lens is basically the same as the older black AF 80-200/2.8 version (it may well be pre-1990s!!!)
    3-AF Speed: While very fast indeed, certainly faster AF with Maxxum 9 or 7 than any Minolta before, I will be the first to admit that I wish it had som

Bottom Line:
    I shoot professionally for a living and I purchased this lens to complement my Minolta AF 28-70 f/2.8 G for use on my Maxxum 9...Boy, does this lens deliver!!!
    I've read great reviews of this lens for years, as I saved up the money to buy it, and how sweet it is to finally own one. Many respected photo mags and websites worldwide have rated this lens very highly, some say it is arguably the best 80-200mm f/2.8 0 as far as optical performance is concerned. I have put the lens through its paces and I can understand why...WOW

Purchased At:   B & H