Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Leica

Focal Length35mm - 70mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/4-f/4

Submitted by David Spero a Expert

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Super light weight, images are always super sharp, lovely rich color, creamy contrast, and let's not forget the macro feature!!! Optically this lens carries on the character of the sharpest R Rom lenses at an affordable price!!!

Weaknesses:    A built in hood would have made my day :)

Bottom Line:
Hey Folks! I own the Leica Summicron 50mm F2 (early 90's version) and was so impressed by Leica's optical character, that I set out to find an affordable, light weight solution to have 3 Leica primes (or something comparable). I researched this lens for weeks. I found that it was designed by Leica and produced in Japan by Kyocera. I learned one lens element is aspherical, yet Leica chose not to advertise this? No matter...This lens kicks some serious ass!
After some serious shooting - I found the character of this lens was exactly like my 90's Summicron prime.. The rich colors, sharpness, detail... Amazing.
IMHO - Optically this lens carries the character of the sharpest R Rom lenses at an affordable price!!!
I use this lens on a Canon Eos 5d Mk2 w/ adapter.

Submitted by jph a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Sharpness corner to corner from wide open to where diffraction sets in... AND throughout the zoom range. Very low CA, good flare control, great contrast and color.

Weaknesses:    E60 filter size.

Bottom Line:
I had borrowed this lens way back (film days) when I had a Leica R4. At that time, I only used it for one day, but it left a good impression. So when I was looking for a compact high quality zoom for my 5DII, I thought of this lens and the Contax 35-70. I liked the fact that the Leica was not a push pull type of zoom, but I could not find any professional reviews on the internet. The Contax had quite a following over on Fredmiranda.com, so as far as image quality, the risk was low. I ended up buying the Leica for my solution for a light weight, high quality, mid zoom, for mostly landscape.
I’m using the Conrus adapter and it can focus to infinity. When I slapped it on my camera, and took a few quick test shots, I was amazed how sharp it was. After using it for a few months, I am happy to say, that it was the right choice. There is one issue. The (e60) filter size. I wanted to use a neutral density filter, and needed to get a step up ring. The problem with a step up ring is when zooming, the lens moves in then out past the front of the barrel. The step up ring does not clear this. So you kind of have to know in advance if you are shooting wide or tele. You also have to remove the lens shade. Kind of a hassle.
So why would I put up with this? High image quality in a compact package. Fantastic contrast, sharpness, color, flare control and very low CA ( I have never corrected an image yet with this lens).
So I just keep the ND filter on the step up ring. Set the lens in the range (wide-tele) I will be using it. Screw off the lens shade and replace it with the step up ring with the filter already on it.
For landscape it’s perfect. In most systems, you have to get a fast, expensive zoom to approach this kind of quality. They tend to be very large. I don’t need the speed, or the AF or the added weight. So this is a good solution for me.

Purchased At:   Sammys

Similar Products Used:   Canon 24-70L, Canon 24-105L, Nikon 28-70, 2.8

Submitted by Jim a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Great contrast, micro contrast, sharpness, color all through the zoom and f stop range. This may be the only mid range zoom I ever had that exhibits these qualities.
Very low CA.

Weaknesses:    Front filter thread.

Bottom Line:
What I was looking for was a mid range zoom, that wasn't too large and heavy, that would be used primarily for landscape photography. I was planning on a Contax 35-70, but was concerned about the push pull zoom. So I looked at the Leica. There's not a lot to find on the web as far as testing for this lens. I was a little surprised at just how good the lens was. It seemed every bit as sharp as my old 35 Sumicron that I used to have. Also, it seems to be just a little sharper at the extremes than in the middle, which is rare for a zoom. It also seems to be sharp (corner to corner) right from f/4 up to where diffraction sets in at around f/11. The build quality is fantastic also. One other note, I have not had to correct for CA in any images taken with this lens--even with images as large as 17x25".
Now the bad. E60 filter thread. The main filter I would be using for this lens is a ND filter. I did find an adapter that allows me to go from E60 to 62mm filter size. The problem is I have to remove the shade, decide which end of the zoom I'm going to use (wide or tele), then put it on. The step up filter ring doesn't clear the front of the barrel when zooming from wide to tele or vise versa. The front element retracts then extends when zooming.

Purchased At:   Sammys