Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Focus TypeManual Focus
    Closest Focusing Distance102 in
    Picture Angle8.17 - 46 degrees
    Product ID20825963

An ideal all around zoom lens that spans from normal to telephoto focal lengths. ED glass provides outstanding picture quality at all focal lengths.

Submitted by neorebel1 a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Great optics very sharp at f5.6 on up.

Weaknesses:    It 's heavy!

You have to use a sturdy tripod.

Do not use the camera mount on your camera and stress the lens mount. USE the one on the lens!!!

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens over 20 years ago and have used it many times. It is LARGE and HEAVY, not the light plasticy G type by any stretch.

I have used this on my professional digital camera a few times. Since the sharpest part of the lens is the middle part of the optics it does pretty good.

It really rocks on my Nikon F4s. I really mean that too.

Great contrast and sharp. I have photo's of my daughter and here eyes are just limpid pools of blue. I'm not bragging they are just beautiful shots of her. Of course on a sturdy tripod which it the first thing you need to do to get crisp shots!

This lens is not a hand holdable lens. It is sharp and contrasty at f5.6, f8.0 and on up.

I still shoot film sometimes because I am an artist and want that look of film. This lens never lets me down. I wouldn't characterise this as a carry along lens.

Similar Products Used:   All pro Nikon eqiupment.

Submitted by Dave Becker a Intermediate from California

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    I Cannot be the only person to own one of these! A wonderful lens with a huge focal range. Would not recommend hand held, it's heavy. Wonderful to use on a monopod or a sturdy tripod. Excellent color contrast. Sharp at all focal lengths but sharpest when shot at f8 to f11, although I have isolated subjects and shot wide open at f4.5 with good result.

Weaknesses:    It's big and heavy as you would expect. Not a weakness.

Bottom Line:
A superb lens. Should you consider, make sure you evaluate or buy the latest version as there were several previous which were larger, heavier and did not have ED Glass. I believe serial numbers for the current version start at #183***. Still listed in the Nikon Full Product Book and retails new at B&H for something like $3K.

Similar Products Used:   There's really nothing else out there like this lens except perhaps the Canon 35-350 which I have no experience with.