Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Picture Angle46 - 84 degrees
    Focal Length24mm - 50mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/3.3-f/4.5
    Macro LensWith Macro Lens

Zoom from wideangle to normal by turning zoom control. Ideal for many applications, from candids to travel photography. Autofocus for ease-of-use. Focus down to 1.6 feet. Superb picture quality at every focal length.

Submitted by Classicist a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Flexibility. Light weight. Ideal travel companion...less to carry. Reasonable quality...should be acceptable for most use and blown-ups to 11"X17" with slide film up to ISO 100.

Weaknesses:    Large compared to the 24mm/2.8AIS or the 28mm/2.0. Yes, it is made of plasic, which meant it could be damaged in the field more easily than a solid all-metal, all-manual Nikkor. However, if care is applied in use and while in storage, the risk of loosing a lens during travel is low. Mine has survived 3 trips to the Indian sub-continent plus a trip to N. Thailand (not mentioned in Review Summary)...been exposed to high heat, humidity, and freezing temperatures. Another weak point is its speed. At times, I wished I took along the 24/2.8 or 28/2, since some of my museum shots had to be taken without flash (flash weren't allowed). The lens is sharp between f5.6 to f11. So the 3.3 or 4.5 opening is not really usable if you want very good photos in reduced light conditions. Either 24/2.8 or 28/2.0 will give you very good photos at f4 in reduced lighting or for isolating the subject from the background. The front filter attachment rotates, which makes it difficult to use a polarizer, but such a difficultiy is slight, and personally I could manage it.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens brand new in early 2001 for my trip to Nepal. It is a good travel lens and I have very good photos taken with it mounted on my F5 & FE. With good lighting, it gives bright, colorful photos. It survived the Nepal trip all the way up to Kala Patar (18,192 ft.), and I had very good photos of Mt. Everest taken from up there. It had gone through a second trip to Nepal in 2002, and made it to 17,760 ft. on the icy slopes of Mera Peak (-10oF) with my FE. A third trip to Ladakh and to the Rajasthan Desert in July 2005 (very hot...117oF) was made with the FE. No problems with the heat and dust. So, that said, it is a good travel lens and it gave me good to very good photos, some of which I had blown to 11"X17". That said, I also have a 24mm/2.8 AIS and a 28mm/2.0 AIS, but preferred the zoom for its flexibility on such journeys. I use the lens with its dedicated hood (HB4), circular polarizer I & II, and a haze filter. The circular polarizer II works very well with the HB4...at 24mm, I did not notice any vignetting at around the edges of the slide (I shot slide flim during my travels). The circular polarizer I (1st generation model) would cause vignetting from 24 mm to about 35 mm if its HN29 hood is used. When the circular polarizer I is used without HN29, no vignetting occured at 24mm. I still have the lens today. It would serve me longer since it works very well with the SB27. The SB27 is a compact flash (another ideal travel partner), and it has an auto zoom range between 24mm and 50mm,...a good fit with this lens. So far the SB27 works well with the lens as I did not notice any flash coverage issues. I would like to try this lens and the
SB27 combo on the D700 someday.

Purchased At:   Smile Photo Video

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 14mm/2.8 AFD. Nikon 24mm/2.8 AIS, Nikon 28mm/2.0 AIS, Nikon 105mm/2.5 AIS, Nikon 180m/2.8 AFD, Nikon 300mm/4.5 EDIF, Nikon 45mm/2.8 P AIS

Submitted by Lon Escam a Expert from Houston Texas

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, fairly durable, great range for the field.

Weaknesses:    Truly wish it had IF but I can live without that. Have managed to work that polarizer and focusing ring with two fingers.

Bottom Line:
I usually shoot this lens at F8-16. Never did like shooting F2.8-5.6. From what I've seen from the blowups, they look crisp and clean. I like the contrast on this lens and the compactness of it. It's not built like the AIS manual lenses but it seems to hold it's own in the field. Really like the zoom range on it. I'm a landscape guy. I would not rate it as a "turd" lens as some think!

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 20MM F2.8 AIS
Nikkor 70-300 F4.0 ED AF

Submitted by steve a Intermediate from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    useful focal length range
relatively light
very sharp images when used stopped down

Weaknesses:    poor image quality at wider apertures
rotating barrel
plastic construction
purple fringing
bad barrel distortion
extremely prone to flare and ghosting

Bottom Line:
I have had a love-hate relationship with this lens. Admittedly, it *can* produce great shots when stopped down to atleast f/8 but image quality deteriorates significantly at wider apertures. Ghosting and flare are serious issues with this lens, and barrel distortion is severe at 24mm. However, cheesy as it may sound this lens can rival prime optics when used stopped down. So basically, when its good its awesome, when its bad its awful.

Purchased At:   store