Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Diaphragm Blades9 Blades
    Picture Angle23.33 - 74.33 degrees
    Weight16 oz
    MPNNK28105

The AFZoom-Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5DD is compact in size , but big on performance. It's close-focusing to 1/2 life-size makes it great for close-ups, nature and wildlife photography.

Submitted by Josh a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2015

Strengths:    -Low distortion
-Sharp (If properly AF-fine tuned)
-Good light transmission
-Sharp corners
-Cheap

Weaknesses:    Flare is rough but sometimes it is welcomed. In shots with a lot of white the coatings which or lack there of gives off a cold blueish/purple hue.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best lenses you can get for FX for under $150. If you recently picked up an FX body and are looking for a daily use lens then get this. Skip the 28-80 G, it is cheap but way over-rated. I was just thinking about getting rid of it when I decided to test this lens against the 24-85 VR and Tamron 28-75. I decided to keep it since it has such low distortion and the corners are very sharp which is hard to come by in standard zoom lens especially one that is priced so low! Wide open at all focal lengths this lens is a solid performer. It does flare easily and lose contrast so if your picky about this then pass. But I like flare for certain shots. If you don't have this lens or any of the older D series lenses then I highly recommend getting one since all of the newer lenses and there coatings get rid of flare completely giving you no artistic capability...just correctness. Which honestly gets boring after awhile.

Submitted by stefpix a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2015

Strengths:    compact, macro

Weaknesses:    Not as sharp as 24-120 f/4, zooming is awkward.

Bottom Line:
I picked one of these on ebay. I thought it would be good for traveling with my D610. I have the 24-120 f/4 that is a bit too large than i would like. I like the size of the zoom, and the real macro setting is handy.
The zooming is a bit awkward as focal length and zoom ring turn are not proportional.

Anyway I tested against the 24-120 f/4 (recently got a refurb at half price) and 35mm f/2 AF S. The prime and the new zoom are definitely sharper, and the 24-120 and 35 are hard to tell apart. I photographed some group of buildings in Manhattan. Nikon D619 RAW / NEW 1/400 sec handheld. f/5.6 and f/8. the 28-105 does not look as sharp when zoomed at 100%. lettering on signs, brick walls in the far background are so much better on the 24-120. If I export the NEF files as full size 3 MB JPGs then the difference is not as distinct.

I need to test the D610 with the 28-105 vs my D7100 and 16-85 in daylight to see which combo is better (i bet the D7100).

In low light the D610 is so much better but the D7100 with the 16-85 is so much more portable.

Anyway I may have this zoom checked by photo tech, but i guess the 24-120 is a great lens.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   24-120 f/4, 35mm f/2 , 28-70 f/2.8

Submitted by Rick Jack a Professional

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    Sharp! Compact (compared to AFS pro lenses). Low cost. Macro works great.

Weaknesses:    Construction, not as durable as pro series lenses. Variable f-stop. High f-stop at 105mm.

Bottom Line:
I use this lens with my D700 for wedding photography. The focal range is perfect for group shots or zooming in. It's lighter than the pro 24-70mm f2.8 and for images as large as 20x30 just as good. It is very flair resistant, great color and contrast. I always hated zoom lenses, this is the lens that changed my opinion. For some who like to isolate their subject, a f2.8 zoom or faster prime would be a better choice. When I was shooting with DX bodies the 28mm setting was not wide enough for my taste. It's great for travel with a full frame body. I alternate this lens with my 24-85mm AFS, and always supplement with other primes from 14-600mm. Focus speed was never an issue for me, if your shooting sports it might be slow. It produces great images, but as with any piece of photographic equipment it's the photographer that makes the difference. I've seen these for less than $150.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon primes in the same focal range, Nikon 24-70mm, 24-85mm, 80-200mm, and Canon zooms.

Submitted by jim a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2013

Strengths:    sharp, cheap, good range, will sell all other avg lenses and keep this one.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
It works great on the nikon d600, really good color rendition, clean & sharp, fine macro, but it's not a 5-star lens. 4-stars of course, and 5+ star value, and 6 stars for not being a one-trick pony ..but 5-stars overall? Like a 70-200 vr or a 24-120? LOL... ummmmm, no.

It's as sharp as the 35mm 1.8G DX on the same camera, if you know that lens that gives you an idea of the sharpness. (I would never use the 35 on the 600 though I just tested that for sharpness--the 35 sucks on the 600.)