Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Picture Angle34 - 62 degrees
    Focal Length35mm - 70mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/2.8
    MountNikon

One of the fastest Zoom-Nikkors, capable of handling low-light shooting situations. Constant 2.8 aperture throughout entire zoom range. Autofocus for ease-of-use. Focus down to 11 inches.

Submitted by cadeyrn a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    - SHARP. Yes, with capital letters.
- Fast. Both AF (even it's not AF-S, it's definataly fast, in low light condition too), both the 2.8
- superb build quality
- size (it only takes 62mm filters!)
- weight (it can be hold)

Weaknesses:    - not the pull-push zoom itself (I owned a manual Vivitar optics on Contax, I loved the pull-push-focus design), but the revesed pull-push is odd
- weight (when carrying...)

Bottom Line:
This is an exceptional lens. It was rather hard to find a lens in nice condition and - dispite the produced numbers - in Hungary, everyone sells the non-D version.
After reading hours and hours about this lens, I finally managed to get one of the last 7000 produced ones, in perfect condition - and it worthed every fillér. (fillér = cent of forint, the money in Hungary :) )

Lot of people complain about the wide end, and yes, this is not a wide-angle lens on DX. But I first, I wanted something about 50mm for DX, and I was looking at 20-28 an 35 mm primes, near the price of max. 250$.
The reviews of the 35 mm 1.8 D were good, but knowing myself - I'm in love with teles -, it wouldn't really have suited me.
Therefore I came across with this lens, and even if the price was a bit higher, than I wanted to spend, this beauty worthed it.

This is a pro lens; it's nearly as sharp as the primes (yes, I testedi it), but it's true, that the zoom range is odd on DX - but suits me.

Purchased At:   vatera.hu

Similar Products Used:   Nikon AF 28-85 / f3.5-4.5 n
Nikon AF-S 18-70 / f3.5-4.5

Submitted by alseiden a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    sharpness, colors

Weaknesses:    wish it went a little wider, but I just take a few steps back.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens used from ebay. There is a small scratch on the front lens. That may have scared other bidders away. I am so glad I have this lens. It stays on my d-200 all the time. I use this lens for around the house or walking around. I love the quality of my photos. There all very sharp. The 35-70 on a d-200 is not wide, but it is normal to telephoto. This lens also makes a great portrait lens. If you get a chance to get one of these.... just do it. You will not be sorry.

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by Larry a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Sharp, sharp, sharp and it does it all. MUCH Cheaper but perform as good as its more expensive replacements.

Weaknesses:    The weight is there but still less than its more expensive replacements. Front focusing gets into the ways of your fingers where zoom ring usually is.

Bottom Line:
A very sharp and usable lens, that never fails to give good pictures. Gives good colour saturation. Although it is discontinued but it is still sought after because of it performance and price. Us it indoors and outdoors both gives outstanding results. The macro function is useful though and with so many features pack into it few good lens can match its zoom and macro capabilities. Its weight is less that the huge and heavy 24-70 or even 28-70. Good value for money.

Purchased At:   From Clubsnap

Similar Products Used:   AF28-70mm f2.8, AF 24-70mm f2.8

Submitted by RGT a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    This lens is very sharp. Even at 2.8 although there is improvement when stopped down a stop. I have found the AF to be fast on the D200 and D80. Not quite as fast to focus as the AF-S 18-70 but close enough. When shooting at 70mm wide open the bokeh on this lens is beautiful. Very creamy. This is especially so when working in the "macro" mode this lens offers. This is truely pro glass and the heft of the lens will confirm that. The weight (more than one pound) is something I like when shooting as it provides stability when hand held.

Weaknesses:    Let me address the "weaknesses" as I have read in these reviews.

1. "Limited Range"... It is what it is. When you buy small car do you complain the car is small? It was small when you bought it. If the range of this lens is not right for you don't buy it. If the range was extended then it wouldn't be the great lens that it is. For me the range is great. The 35-70 (52-105 on my DSLR) covers 90% of what I need. This one lens keep three out of my bag; a 50 mm, a 100 mm and a macro.
2. "Its Heavy"... Again, it is what it is. The weight reminds me I'm shooting with quality glass that is a constant 2.8. Very nice when the light fades.
3. "Ghosts and Flaring"... Many have written about this one so there must be something to it. I haven't experienced a problem yet but then agin I haven't shot in the direction of the sun yet. Best to keep the hood on and be aware of where the light source is.

Bottom Line:
Being a professional photographer for more than 30 years in the "film era"
I have used many format and lens combinations from many different brands.
When the shoot was important I never used zooms because I felt they were inferior to primes. I have now gone digital and recently purchased the Nikon
35-70 2.8 zoom. How things have changed. This is a great lens. I would guess it may be better/sharper than some primes out there.

Purchased At:   eBay (used)

Submitted by nikonman a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Great optics as mentioned. Better yet when stopped down a tic or two. Push-pull design is OK with me. Nice, sturdy build. Hefty, but still half-a-pound lighter than the 28-70.

Weaknesses:    Rotating front ring can be a nuisance at times but not a real deal breaker. Other than that not much. You know it's a 35-70 before you buy it. If this doesn't meet your needs then don't buy it. It doesn't deserve to be bashed because it's a 35-70. I'm certain Nikon would still continue to produce this if they had a full-frame digital camera.

Bottom Line:
This is actually my 2nd review here of this lens. I firs reviewed it in the summer of 2000. My 2nd posting is here is for 2 reasons: 2) To restate my support for this great lens, and 2) To inform any one interested in getting a new one of these to do so fast because it has been officially discontinued by Nikon. I sold my first copy only because I had to come up with funds to purchase a new F100 back in 2001 (over $1,000 with the battery grip back then-WOW how times have changed). Any way, the bottom line is this is one of Nikon's legends. It's sharp, it's sharp, it's sharp. I shoot film yet, (OK, I'll give my reasons when everyone stops laughing and can continue reading). I'm not ready to give up using my F5 yet. Besides, this means I can still shoot (as long as they make it) Fuji Reala (the greatest 35mm color negative film never discovered by most of the world.) Needless to say, using the 35 to 70 with Reala leads to extraordinary results. Nuff said. And, it still fills what I think is an often overlooked focal length range in 35mm.

Purchased At:   B&H Photovideo

Similar Products Used:   Many Nikkor manual focus and AF zooms in this range.