Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Nikon AF 70-210mm f/4 Zoom-Nikkor 35mm Zoom

MSRP : $0

Out-of-production Nikon autofocus lens.

Submitted by Marco Gabbiani a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Constant f/4 aperture
Very sharp
Cheap
Light weight
Old school build quality (not quite AI-s though)
Zoom ring has perfect feel

Weaknesses:    Thin manual focus ring
Plastic lens barrel
No VR
No instant manual focus over ride
Screw in lens hood (a pain to use with filters)

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens 7 years ago on eBay for $200. I used it a few times on but didn't take much notice of it. When I bought a D7000 I decided I needed a modern tele zoom and bought the 70-300VR. I bought into the hype of AF-S and VR. They are great features. It turns out that I don't really need them. I was getting some backfocus on 70-300VR (turns out the D7K was to blame) so I pulled out the old 70-210. The 70-210 proved itself when I was shooting my kids playing rugby. All this talk about this lens being no good for fast action just doesn't hold up in my experience. Perhaps on a cheaper body that may be true, but having said that the D7000 isn't exactly a pro class body with a monster AF motor. I use 9 point dynamic AF 1/1000s at f/4 using auto ISO and the results have been amazing - my keeper ratio is better than 75%. There is no need for VR at that shutter speed and the action is so fast manual focus over-ride would not help anyway. It would be nice to have the extra reach of the 70-300, but cropping solves that. Is it sharper than the VR? Hard to say. I haven't done rigorous back to back tests. I can say that I just love the look of the shots I get with this lens. Lets call it a tie. For less than half the price of the VR you get equal sharpness, better low light performance and better handling. The zoom ring is so smooth compared to the VR. I was always jealous of the Canon crowd's 70-200/4L. The Nikkor may not match the Canon but its only 20% of the price. So in summary I am keeping my 70-210.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 70-300VR, Tokina 80-200/2.8 ATX manual focus

Submitted by zabig a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Very nice lens contrast, excellent optical results overall on DX sensors.

Weaknesses:    Not intended for fast action shots in autofocus if you need to travel the full focal length of the lens on successive shots.

Bottom Line:
This is a highly under-rated lens, especially for DX series cameras where this lens performs in its resolution sweet-spot. It's getting difficult to find a pristine example but they are still out there at bargain prices.

Best feature: very nice lens contrast, F/4 bokeh is also very pleasing to my eye. Truly stand-out images on my D7000 and nicely compliments the 24-120mm f/4. With the 12-24mm f/4, these are the only three lenses I need.

Pros may insist on the 2.8s and they get paid to lug the extra weight around. With the high ISO of the D7000, I will never miss the extra f-stop as much as I enjoy having these reasonably priced and superb Nikkor f/4 lenses.

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 180mm f/2.8.

Submitted by james l. a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    optics,optics,optics
nikon glass really rocks.
i have a vivitar series 1 and sigma and tamron lenses at same focal lenght to compare with.

Weaknesses:    maybe the af, but i couldnt fault it. you can spend $800 more to get the faster newer version., if it matters to you.

Bottom Line:
good bang for the buck
excellent optics across the board
slower af compared to my 18-200 af-s but this technology is 20 years older, what matters is the optics is still excellent. btw. slower is only slightly maybe a second or less, unless your shooting critical stuff, it doesnt matter.

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   sigma, tamron,vivitar

Submitted by sfpeter a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    Has nice color rendition and sharpness. After comparing many photos with a 80-200mm VR zoom (the closest I had on hand) this one is as sharp at F4 as the other is at F5.6, and past they're about the same. So it's apples and oranges how much better one or the other is.

Evenly spaced zoom ring, which as always makes framing your picture easier. The zoom also rotates smoothly with just the right amount of drag.

Good bokeh and full manual controls.

I'd rate the autofocus speed on my D700 as "acceptable," but most other users consider it slow. I noticed on my D50 it did seem noticeably more sluggish, but it'd take a stopwatch to tell for sure.

Good old metal construction, likely will still be here long after the plastic lenses are gone.

As long as someone doesn't think they're holding a valuable collector's item these are available fairly cheap.

Weaknesses:    The focusing elements rotate way out, which makes a problem for a polarizing filter and trying to use it in manual focus.

The hood is all-metal and screws in. Even the Russians at this point were making plastic lens hoods, and I haven't come across a hood cap yet that will fit it. And no, I don't think metal hoods are "extra" protection in an accident, as if it hits hard enough to dent the hood the mounting threads are also likely to get bent.

The focus scale is all the way at the end of the lens, why I don't know.

The autofocus is screw type, so D40 users are out of luck.

Bottom Line:
This is the great Granddaddy of Nikon's telephoto zooms, being made in 1986-1987. For an old lens it has the notable feature of a constant F4 maximum aperture, which places it between the "Pro" F2.8 zooms and your standard F5.6/6.3 consumer zooms, and this is probably the only lens Nikon has made in this category.

However, it's not a cheap stand-on for a "Pro" zoom as it doesn't have the wicked fast focus of the F2.8 lenses.

In terms of build and quality this is a nice old-school lens, with metal where today's lenses use plastic.

Purchased At:   KEH

Similar Products Used:   Over 40 Russian and Nikon lenses.

Submitted by cadeyrn a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    - sharpness
- second-hand price
- build quality
- large zoom grip
- weights a lot less, than a 2.8 lens
- fix f4 (compared to zoom at the same price)

Weaknesses:    - slow AF
- possibility of AF errors at some light situation
- rotating front lense
- fix f4 (compare to 2.8...)
- still a bit expensive, even from second hand

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best lenses I've came across. It's full metal and has exceptional build quality, but not as heavy as the 2.8 lenses.
It has a very good macro functionality, although it could be a bit better, but in this range, width this quality, it's OK.
At f4 is it a bit softer, than one or two steps later, but much sharper than the usual lenses at this price.
Nearly everyone mention the slow AF, some even mention AF errors. A would say, that the AF is slow, but compared to a non silent wave motor lens, it's bearable. But there's also a type of lighting, which this lens cannot handle (when the sun has just went down), and sometimes it can be fooled by sunlight reflections.

Purchased At:   Hungary