Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

MountNikon
    Closest Focusing Distance18 in
    Picture Angle12 - 76 degrees
    UPC00018208021628

A Nikon Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass element delivers superior optical performance. ED glass minimizes chromatic aberrations, contributing to superb contrast and resolution performance. Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet auto focusing without changing the length of the lens, retaining subject-working distance through the focus range. Versatile, High-power 7.5x Zoom-Nikkor lens (Approximates the picture angle performance of a 28-200mm lens on 35mm SLR).

Submitted by Laurie_B a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light, reasonably sharp, good walk around focal range, focuses quickly

Weaknesses:    Could be sharper, F/3.5-5.6, some distortion - rarely noticable

Bottom Line:
I got this lens in a kit with my D80 a little over 2 years ago. It was my only lens for a while and is still my everyday walk around lens. It's not the sharpest nor the best with regards to distortion (most noticable for architectural shots) but it's a great little lens. It focuses quickly. It's light. 18-135 mm is a great range for travel photography.

If I knew then what I know now, I might have gotten the camera with a professional lens but the price would have been much higher and I would have needed two lenses to cover the range of this one. My suggestion is buy it if it fits your needs. You won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Ritz

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom

Submitted by BruceA a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight
Sharp photos in mid-zoom ranges
Inexpensive
Wide zoom range

Weaknesses:    For a consumer grade lens, really none.

Bottom Line:
This is a consumer grade lens that I got with a D80 camera when I moved into digital in 2008. That said, it's a pretty decent consumer grade lens. Pictures are generally sharp, and it does what it is supposed to do when autofocusing. Also if you drop and break it, thoughts of suicide won't immediately jump into your head. The wide zoom range is handy when out and about. Vignetting occurs on the lower side of the frame when using the on camera flash at wide angle but that's minor. All in all a decent first lens, but not one to make a living on.

Purchased At:   National Camera

Similar Products Used:   Other Nikon and Canon stuff.

Submitted by ron matason a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2007

Strengths:    The lens looks pretty and has a comfortable feel and good balance.

Weaknesses:    The lens failed totally with in 3 months.
Nikon Service is unbelievably slow and the Nikon coporation produced a poor quality lens product.
Be sure to carry a back up lens if you use this 18-135 DX.

Bottom Line:
This lens and D-80 camera were purchased from Best Buy on December 6, 2006. I noticed that the lens would intermittently not lock in on focus and I could not trip the shutter. I ascribed this to low light challenges. However, in March , 2007 I was preparing to photograph my grand daughter's baptism and the lens would not auto focus properly. The auto focus would not lock onto the subject and it would trombone to near and far points of focus. A grinding sound began and got worse until the auto focus completely failed.

This lens failed within 3 months of purchase.

Nikon USA has had the lens on a "Parts Hold" for 15 days and as of today there is no part in sight. I am amazed that Nikon cannot have a part delivered in 2-3 days as the rest of the world can do.

Nikon of course refuses to replace a new lens and says that I must patiently wait until they eventually repair it. Best Buy, will not replace any lens beyond 30 days of purchase.

Having been a Nikon film camera user for 40 years, and having many film camera bodies and non-auto focus lenses, I debated getting into digital photography and had to decide between Canon and Nikon.

With Nikon digital, I made the wrong choice.

What is most disturbing is that the Nikon repair phone staff refuse to give me the name and phone number of either a Nikon regional sales rep, a Nikon corporate official or even of their repair center supervisor. The “customer service” person says that I must write a letter to the Manager of Digital Tech Support at 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY and wait to hear back from that person if they want to talk with me.

Well, I’ll give that a try next. Since they took 7 days to accept my insured, USPS lens shipment sent on March 28, 2007, I am sure that they will take as much time in receiving a letter and responding to it. So it should be about April 28 before I hear from someone... with a reiteration of the corporate repair policy.

In the mean time, I have a new $1200 Nikon D-80 body to use as a paper weight.

Be very cautious about buying Nikon products. The quality is not what it used to be and Nikon USA has extremely poor customer service. And the Nikon corporate administration is afraid to post their names and contact information.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Frog a Casual

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Light.
Quck, quiet focus.
Good image quality.

Weaknesses:    Flower lens hood shadow shows when using widest angle.
Would like closer focus distance ability.
Nikor lens caps are awkward with those release tabs in the middle of the cap.

Bottom Line:
First, I'm not a pro. Most of my photography is casual scenics and people at events and family gatherings.
I began my photography with a 35 mm in the '80s.
I have no experience with high end pro lenses and this lens with the D80 are my first experience with auto-foucus.

This lens came with my D80 and was selected for its wide zoom capability and from what I had read seemed to be a decent lens.
I was leary of auto focus but have come to appreciate it. The lens, coupled with the d80s 11pt focus and ability to select focal point, focuses quickly and silently.
The results are sharp.
I do wish it had a closer minimum focus range but you get what you pay for and I plan to couple it with some extension tubes when I want to do some close work.
It is housed in a plastic body which I guess some don't like but it sure makes it light.
As I have indicated, I'm mostly a hobbyist and want something to be able to use in a wide range of situations and I find this lens to be more than adequate in 90% of the time for what I'm shooting.

Purchased At:   cameta

Similar Products Used:   Recently bought a sigma 70-300mm but they aren't really comparible. Like apples and oranges.