Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Closest Focusing Distance12 in
    Picture Angle62 - 104 degrees
    MPN1960
    Product ID20724853

High-performance, ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, perfect for candid photography and news photojournalism in challenging lighting conditions. Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass element reduces chromatic aberrations providing superior optical performance, even at maximum aperture. M/A switch for fast transitions from manual focus to auto focus. No power drain when manually focusing.

Submitted by Sam a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Super sharp. an almost perfect lens

Weaknesses:    never drop an AF-S lens! even if the lens barrel is metal and very tough, the inside motor will be damaged

Bottom Line:
the lens served me well for almost 9 years. I've sold it already after a made a lot of money using this lens. everything was perfect, the AF, sharpness, and ergonomic. the sad thing is i dropped it. for years it worked fine, until the AF-S motor start causing the focusing ring stuck a little bit.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 16-35mm VR

Submitted by Matthew Begbie a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    So fast and open, great clarity, razor sharp right to the edge, colour is spot on (the Tamron always had a yellowish tinge by comparison?), focus is perfect, no fringes on the outside, even in low light.

Weaknesses:    Cost, but a FX format lens is an investment for life (which is why I did the body at the same time!). It also shows up flaws in my ability!

Bottom Line:
Brilliant lens! I'm doing a lot more architectural photos, and moved from a D70s & 18-200 Tamron to this lens & a D700 and the results are spectacular!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   camerastore.com.au

Similar Products Used:   Nothing that comes close!

Submitted by dinousar a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Produces good image quality.
Contrary to what other people believe, I think the weight is really nice. Gives my camera a center of mass and balance.

Weaknesses:    Terrible auto focus. I don't know what 17-35 you're using because this one's auto focus is horrendous.

Bottom Line:
Okay so I've never had the real money to actually buy it so each time I've rented the lens. Perhaps the fact that it was a rental could have effected the outcome of my images, but at this point, lets assume that I had actually bought it.

Alot of talk has this lens at legendary status and I wouldn't doubt that given its history of usage as a preferred photojournalist's/wedding photographer's go to lens. There's alot going on about fast and accurate focus and that is probably where my main complaint lies.

It does not have fast and accurate focus...often times it has a problem even locating the subject even at center weight! I highly doubt its my camera's own fault so I'd have to put the blame on the lens itself.

In terms of quality...yea you could say its sharp and clear on all fronts, but by all practicality's sake, its not worth forking over a grand and some for it. I could get the same quality on a sigma or tamron.

I'm hoping the 17-55's autofocus is far better than this one's because, at this point, I'd have to say that the 17-35 is mediocre on that front.

Submitted by bupa a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Strengths:    the way it is built

Weaknesses:    heavy, soft at 2.8

Bottom Line:
i read a lot of this lens before i got one , its said to be a legendary lens , well , it is sure well built, very good looking , smaller than the 14-24mm , but ...nothing speacial about it , my 18-55 kit lense is equal or better sharp in day light than this , may be it is excellent on film camera ,but not omy d300 , plus its big and heavy , and i saw no legendary elements about it like the 85mm nikkor 1.4 which is really legendary by all means

Purchased At:   from nikon japan

Submitted by mohawk51 a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Strengths:    Everything and I mean everything! It's 5 wide angle lenses wrapped in neat package. With excellent glass and if you have a love for shooting wide angle, this is the one. I will carry this lens and the 50MM F1.8 AIS and the 70-300MM F4-5.6 ED. That would be an 12 lens kit using 3 lenses. That should take care of just about everything for the landscape.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see so far. I do wish it had a depth of field scale like the primes. One thing that I was for sure not used to was that when you turn the focusing ring past the indicators in the depth window, the ring continues to keep turning. That was too weird. For a split moment I thought I turned it too far and broke it. I understand that it's natural for that lens to continue to turn.. However, my stomach was in my throat.

Bottom Line:
Well, after debating for a couple of years on this lens I bit the bullet and finally did it. I've been a big prime fan since the 70's. I can't count the amount of time I've spent looking at reviews and doing the reserach on this lens. A couple of times I got close to ordering it and said to myself, let's hold on. Recently when I got close to doing it again, the thought of holding on never came into my mind. Guess it was time! When I took the first shots I automatically went to the 17MM setting. The thought I had was "Holy Crap this thing is wide". I also thought, "so this is what everybody's been talking about". It is magnificent at 17MM!! It's also great at the 20, 24, and 28 settings also. Didn't shhot at 35MM. I shot the whole roll at F8 with an F3. I got the color saturation & contrast that I've had with the primes in a one lens package. Should've bought this sooner I thought. I'll keep my primes in this range however but this is an awfully convenient one lens package. If you've been thinking about buying this lens, DON'T do what I did and wait. GET IT!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Adorama

Similar Products Used:   Many countless Nikkors since the 70's.