Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

MountNikon
    Closest Focusing Distance78 in
    Diaphragm Blades9 Blades
    Picture Angle6.17 - 12.33 degrees

The AF-S VR 200-400mm zoom lens combines four fixed focal length telephoto lenses into a single compact super-telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor lens
  • VR offers the equivalent a shutter speed 3 stops faster
  • Two VR Modes: Normal mode or Active Mode
  • Automatically detects when photographer is panning and compensates
  • Aperture range: f/4-22
  • Min focus: 6.2 feet
  • Rounded, 9 blade diaphragm for natural blur
  • D-type design provides distance information for flash

Submitted by mattbikeboy a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    1) Fast

2) Zoom is invaluable when shooting many sporting events where the action moves all over the field.

3) Vibration Reduction is great for venues with poor lighting

Weaknesses:    1) Heavy!!!

2) Definitely need a monopod or tripod when using.

3) Did I mention that it is heavy?

4) Large (with the hood attached the lens is in the 20" long range)! Can be unwieldy when the action comes in close.

Bottom Line:
    I use the previous AFS 200-400 F4 VR1

I've used this lens to cover everything from local theater productions, minor league baseball, pro rodeo and youth soccer leagues to the FEI World Cup Finals (show jumping, dressage) and this lens can't be beat when you need a fast long zoom.

This is not a lens for the faint of heart. It's a big and heavy piece of pro-glass that is invaluable when covering events where a good reaching zoom is a requirement. There are faster long telephoto lenses on the market -- but this is about the best of the longer zooms available by any lens manufacturer and the new version is even better in low light with the nano-coated optics and revised VRII system.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Similar Products Used:   None in this range. I've shot many consumer and pro zooms up to 300mm and when you need the length -- this lens rocks.

Submitted by aria1117 a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2009

Strengths:    sharpness. Can be used hand hold, so it is extremely useful when you are shooting on the go like most tourists. Well if I were a professional and have more money and assistance from technicians, I would get the 400mm VR, 500mm VR and 600mm VR. But I am not. For me, by having the 200-400mm lens instead, I am not missing much.

well constructed!

Weaknesses:    expensive, especially for someone who is also shooting other formats (large format).

Bottom Line:
    After reading many reviews I brought this lens, and What a lens! I spent a day or two testing this lens against my other two long lenses, Pentax 400mm f4 EDIF, and 600mm F5.6 EDIF, both with NIkon adaptors, and it beats the 400mm at f4, 5.6 and as good as the 600mm at f5.6. I also compared to the 85mm f1.8 at f4 and f5.6 on a target (news paper on a brick wall, and change my distance from the target based on the lens). The 85mm lens is one of the sharpest lens around. This is what I found: at 200, 280mm, no major difference at f4 between the 85mm and the 200-400mm vr, although the 85mm lens is slightly more contrasty. At 400mm f4, the 85mm is slightly better, and at f5.6 the two are very similar. I must add that I compared the 85mm lens with the 70-200 vr lens and the former beats the vr lens at f2.8, f4 and f5.6 in all focal lengthes.

But don't expect miracle here. It is after all a very long lens and need good technique and support to get good pictures. The VR helps but you still can not use it as if you are using a standard lens and do point and shoot. I also learned from my recent trip to Yellowstone, that you need to be sure what are you focusing on as well even though the bisons appear to be 100 yrs away. If you are not focusing on the head, you will not get a very sharp image. This is just what a long lens behave.

I also used it with a 2x converter, it will focus, but I don't think the camera will be able to focus on the subject well enough. I rarely get a sharp image from it by auto focusing. But if I do manual focusing, it sometimes will give a very shape image. So I think the optics has plenty of sharpness and our technique may be the limiting factor with this lens. My conclusion? I am selling the 400mm and 600mm lenses.

Purchased At:   Cameta Camera

Similar Products Used:   Pentax 6x7 400mm EDIF f4, Pentax 645 600mm EDIF f5.6.

Submitted by peachstate a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Tack sharp images. Image stabilization aka vibration reduction. Versatility of focal lengths.
    7.2 lbs is not bad for this focal length.
    Fast Auto focus. Easy manual focus override.
    Nice travel size for bird photography.

Weaknesses:    Possibly price. Wish it were a 2.8 vs 4.0----but then it would weigh 12 lbs instead of 7!!!

Bottom Line:
    I truly love this superb lens. I photograph birds and often have to hand hold my shots, especially with small quick moving species. With adequate shutter speeds, images are as sharp as those shot with a tripod. I use a Nikon 1.4 TC with no problems, but since reading another review in this forum, I am going to try the 2.0 TC.
    Main reason I purchased this lens was that it was the longest focal length VR lens Nikon made at the time. It has served me very well. Possibly a 500mm VR is in my future.
    Cannot recommend this lens enough for nature/bird photography.

Purchased At:   Wolf Camera Atlanta

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 70-200 2.8 AFS VR

Submitted by JeffH a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    Sharp images
    Not too bulky for the range
    Great AF
    Plus, it just feels good when you work with it.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Although I too would prefer a heavier, more protective case.

Bottom Line:
    Wow! Big wow! I could not be more pleased with this lense. Yes, it is expensive. But if you are serious about your photographs, then this is a serious lense for you.
    The AF-S is zippy fast, even in poor lighting conditions. I photograph mainly marine mammals, in usually less than perfect conditions, and the lense has not let me down.
    Images are coming out tack sharp and results are really pretty good even wide open.
    I cringed at the price when I bought it, but my buyers remorse vanished the moment I attached it to my camera body.

VR is a plus even though I don't generally need it with my Wimberley sidekick.

Purchased At:   private Seller- EBay