Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Focal Length24mm - 70mm
    Diaphragm Blades9 Blades
    MountNikon
    Designed for Digital CameraYes

A wide-angle to telephoto, fast-aperture, professional zoom lens for 35mm or digital SLRs.

Submitted by Steve a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent glass and fast

Weaknesses:    Heavy and visually prominent in public

Bottom Line:
Super lens - rather prominent, so much so that I was mugged and the lens taken from my camera.
Having just purchased a 70-200, even bigger, I am somewhat wary of using it in puiblic!

Purchased At:   Grays of Westminster

Submitted by rayalvarezphotos a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    It's very sharp, plus its nano coating its a great bonus. For its price I recommend a lens filter to protect the front element.

Weaknesses:    Please use a power grip to counter balance its weight and holdability.

Bottom Line:
Since I have bought this lens in 2008, I have been just blown away by its autofocus speed. This remarkable lens is superb as an all around lens, a bit heavy but I compensated by getting a power grip to counteract its weight and its balance. I have taken phenomenal photos where I have been hired as a second photographer even though I have little experience in weddings.

I mostly shoot personal photos for family and friends of their newborns or for their christmas cards among other events. Recently for a church St. nicks day, and a 80th birthday party. For me the lens is best between f 5.6 -f/16, unless I have to use it in the evening then I go wide open at f2.8. This lens is very sharp. If you have a nice steady hand is great for hand holding, if not just use a nearby structure for balance, and sturdiness.

Purchased At:   calumet, nyc

Similar Products Used:   None right now.

Submitted by Prettym1k3 a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Heavy duty build, amazingly sharp, good low light capability, perfect zoom range for FX (full frame), quick focus, accurate focus, amazing colors and saturation.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. But seriously... I'm reviewing a pro lens with all the bells and whistles like nano coating and ED glass. Of course it's heavy, and I'll chock it up to a good work out/weight lifting regime. :-)

Bottom Line:
When I sold my 17-55 f/2.8 and moved to full frame, everyone told me how much of a gem the 17-55 lens is, and how I'll regret selling it. But, alas, I couldn't use the 17-55 on my new D700 I was about to order, nor could I justify keeping such a lens when I'm about to purchase new gear. So I sold it, assuming that I'd be disappointed with the 24-70. How wrong was I? SO WRONG.

The 24-70 ED with the (nano coating) makes sharp pictures wide open, and even sharper stopped down a tad. Sunflare doesn't destroy my pictures anymore, but is perfectly flared. The lens hood is big and protects the glass well from bumps, and feels solid. The picture quality is outstanding.

My recommendation? If you're about to move to full frame, wait until Nikon does one of their deals on a D700/24-70 combo. I did, and saved $300 on the lens by buying the camera and lens together.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo Video

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, Nikon 35 f/1.8, Nikon 50 f/1.4 D, Nikon f/1.4G, Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (push pull), Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1.

Submitted by mattbikeboy a Professional

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    Fast auto focus
Great in low light conditions
Professional grade weather sealing and durability

Weaknesses:    A bit of distortion on the ends when shooting f/2.8 at 24mm.
Fairly heavy
Expensive --

Bottom Line:
Great go to lens for nearly all of my non-sports shooting. The AFS 24-70 is so convenient that I leave it on my body rather than switching over to a 50 f/1.4. I have never found myself wishing for Vibration Reduction when shooting in low light with this lens on my D700 body.

Purchased At:   B&H Camera