Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR 35mm Zoom

4 star rating
                      4 / 5 (1 Reviews)

Covering a versatile wide angle to medium telephoto zoom range, the new AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR delivers noticeably sharper photos and HD videos thanks to Nikon's second-generation Vibration Reduction technology (VR II). Shoot at shutter speeds up to 4-times slower than would otherwise be possible for greater low-light capability, and enjoy the benefits of Vibration Reduction during HD video recording - even when using a tripod.

Submitted by armando_m a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    VR
Light
Small
Decent price compared to other FX nikon zooms
I can shoot by hand at slow speeds and get sharp images :)

Weaknesses:    The corners at 24 mm never get really sharp, if you pixel peep, they are soft, period.
At 85 mm it is quite decent at f/8
Use the hood or a filter, the front lens is very exposed , it's easy to touch it accidentally , or even scratch, bumped against something

Bottom Line:
I'm still in process of migrating from DX to FX, I had no zoom in this range, except the 18-200 VR which is a DX lens, a bit heavier, a bit slower a bit less sharp, the only lens I had in this range is the 50mm f1.8 AFS, which I use on the D800 and I HAVE to shoot at 1/125 or I get blurry pictures, so ... the VR is a very welcome feature when shooting with the D800, it works wonders, I can shoot at 1/2 the focal length and still get a sharp image ! Also is nice ot use a zoom again the medium range, I had been using the 50mm for almost a year now, and often I find my self with my back against a wall, yeah, you loose the bokeh, but this lens can focus very very close , even at 85mm , so use the longer focal lenght and the small minimum focus distance to get a nice out of focus effect. the lens is light , and just plain works well.

Purchased At:   adorama