Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR 35mm Zoom

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)
Focal Length : 28mm - 300mm | Max. Aperture : f/3.5-f/5.6  | Focus : Autofocus

Versatile 10.7x zoom lens with ED glass and VR II image stabilization Versatile zoom lens offers a broad focal length range that’s perfect for travel, landscapes, portraits and distant subjects. Optimized for edge to edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs DX-format D-SLR angle of view is equivalent to a focal length of 42-450mm in FX/35mm format. Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization Vibration Reduction, engineered specifically for each VR NIKKOR lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper still images and video capture.

Submitted by footloose-photography a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Strengths:    I recently bought a Nikon d800e, brilliant, but needed fx lenses, first lens I bought was a f/2.8 105mm again brilliant, but needed a zoom, I have the 18-200mm dx zoom for my d7000 again a wonderful lens, I bought the 28-300mm from Jessops, (I got £70 back from Nikon thru their Christmas money back scheme) anyway lens is as you would expect from Nikon.
I compared it to my 105mm lens and found very little difference in it even at 300mm I think the 105mm was just a tad sharper, but you don't have the versatility of the zoom, I'm still not sure which lens to use as my walking around lens, but I think I'm leaning towards the zoom.

Weaknesses:    I am still learning about this lens, It's not quite as sharp as I would have hoped, but this may be my fault I was not using a tripod and at 300mm you had better have a steady hand even with VR.
One thing I have noticed is an electrical, short circuit sound when focusing, I've gone online and it has been noticed by other owners, whether it's a fault or not, don' know, I have three other AF lenses and they don't make that noise, comments anyone?

Bottom Line:
Good all round lens, I had the 18-200mm on my d7000 it is the only lens I use, and for my d800e the 28-300 zoom lens will probably be my walk around lens, but for portraits and really fine photography I will use the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 lens.

Purchased At:   Jessops

Similar Products Used:   18-200mm dx lense

Submitted by tony golding a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    the fact it's a Nikon and will resale OK

Weaknesses:    nothing is sharp
at wide angle really bad edge colour distortion
and it's slow
I had strange unnatural greens too, thought it was the camera until I tested another lens

Bottom Line:
a good all round lens, for some, but on my D200 I have been very disappointed

Purchased At:   Jessops

Submitted by freedom1500 a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    - image quality is surprising considering the extreme zoom range
- lightweight (compared to many other lenses in that category)
- focuses in very low light conditions
- acceptable distortion (except when shooting vertical and/or horizontal lines)
- VR allows a couple of extra stops
- solid build

Weaknesses:    - Expensive (but when you consider all the lenses it replaces, it's a real bargain)
- Distortion at max wide and max long ends

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing lens. It is relatively new on the market and I wasn't sure how it would perform seeing as it has been labelled a "do-it-all" lens. So far, it has exceeded my expectations on my Nikon D700. I shoot just about everything but mostly people and travel. This lens is on my camera almost all the time.

Purchased At:   Lozeau - Montreal

Similar Products Used:   I've used lots of Nikon lenses, most notably the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 and the AF-S VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 on my D700.