Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Picture Angle20.5 - 84 degrees
    Image StabilizationWith Image Stabilization
    Diameter3 in
    MPNNK24120LEN

This compact and versatile VR image stabilization lens is perfect for landscapes, portraits and distant subjects. Nikon D-type design provides precise distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes. G-type NIKKOR is designed exclusively for use with Nikon SLR models where aperture is controlled from the camera body. 2 aspherical lens elements for low distortion. 2 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements for minimized chromatic aberration. First Nikon wide-angle zoom lens with Vibration Reduction (VR).

Submitted by Old Timer a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight
Good wide to short telephoto range
VR function is excellent
Price very competitively

Weaknesses:    Focus ring and zoom ring are reversed from other Nikon zooms I own
f3.5 to 5.6 aperture much slower than I would like

Bottom Line:
Before purchasing this lens, as part of a kit with the D700, I had read some very negative reviews. I however in the short time I've had the lens have been very pleased with its performance. While not as fast as my f2.8 28-70 the VR function has seemed to make up for it. the quality at both ends of the zoom has been much better than I was lead to believe by other reviews. My main purpose with this purchase was to get a lighter weight walk about lens with a good zoom range. To this point the 24-120 is performing above my expectations.

Purchased At:   Cameta Camera

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 28-70 AF-S f2.8

Submitted by AndYu a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2008

Strengths:    On quality of a picture the objective has made upon me sweet enough impression. Though some abuse him for "softness", but laboratory findings say, that rather low sharpness is across the field detected only on long focus, in gamuts from 28 to 85 mm it is sharp enough. Besides, I would not began to consider this feature of an objective as a minus because from it very decent portraits are gained. It is possible to tell, that "softness" in portraits is enough.
If you still do not have accessory lens and you only reflect, what of them to get, I would advise to begin with AF-S Nikkor 24-120/3.5-5.6G VR IF-ED. It is suitable for many views of shooting and quite there matches to measure the price/quality, and system VR partly exchanges a relative aperture.
Certainly, it not the unique solution, after all depending on preferences of the photographer to its services is also another megazoom - Nikkor 28-200. So, if your interests are in telefield, you have a select. If your style demands wide spanning of space, 24-120 - for you. On the other hand, if you are engaged in a wide angle seriously think about something more the wide-angle is better, type 18-45 though such objective can be and second. Technically Nikkor 24-120 it is, of course, most perfect in the class.

Weaknesses:    The appreciable distortion on short focus which in an urban landscape should be masked somehow is a little unpleasant. (minimal focusing distance - 0,5m) the objective is not intended for macroshooting, and usual 18-55 mm are in this respect better. In general, an objective not for fans of wildlife, its niche - a city, travelings.
Be cautious, shoting from the built-in flash at focus of 24 mm, - there can be a shade from a lenshood. Without a blind the objective of a shade does not give neither at the full pulling out, nor on the shortest focus.
The objective refers to to the transitive generation and approaches any more to any Nikon filmSLR (there is no ring of diaphragms), but without restrictions "has a seat" on DSLR. But here there is a subtlety: if at competitors meet fullframe models all digital Nikon have an APS-format matrix, and, means, objectives give more "long-focus" picture. That is on DSLR this objective works approximately as 37-200 on a film. It, in blanket it is, enough, if to use 24-120 as a regular objective but if you are inclined to wider spanning this gamut can be already insufficient.

Bottom Line:
In the nomenclature of the company-manufacturer objective AF-S Nikkor 24-120 is carried to wide-angle zooms, but on solved problems it, of course, a normal objective. It also weighs only 575 ?, that should like those who does not like to carry a heavy bag.
Certainly, the objective with relative aperture f/3,5-5,6 cannot apply for the status professional which usually has f/2,8, but corresponding ?????????????? Nikkor with f/2,8 more hard, much more expensively and has a range of focuses only 28-70.
The first objective Nikkor supplied with the silent wave motor of a drive of an auto focus (Silent Wave Motor - SWM) and not concerning the pro-ruler, was AF-S Zoom Nikkor 24-85/2.8-4G IF-ED.
The novelty, besides presence SWM, possesses also the optical stabilizer of the image, allowing to use longer shutter at weak illumination - system VR (Vibration Reduction ), firm working out of company Nikon. After Canon, Nikon - the second firm in the market which began to introduce similar systems in the objectives (since 1999).
And here now owners of cameras Nikon can enjoy job with a "standard" zoom 24-120/3 IF-ED, supplied with system of clearing of fluctuations, which in the sizes even less than the predecessor without system VR. And an objective rather inexpensive.
System VR in any sense replaces high relative aperture - after all it is possible to remove at the maximum focal length of 120 mm even with endurance 1/8. I really tried it, and results have justified expectations. The system is intended not only to remove on completely open diaphragm, - she creates comprehensible depth of sharpness when conditions do not allow as it is necessary to "twirl" a diaphragm on a usual objective.

Purchased At:   foto.ru

SIGMA AF 17-70 mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO /HSM
SIGMA AF 18-50 mm f2.8 EX DC MACRO HSM

Submitted by Jim Gaffke a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    Versatility and range. Price. Lens cap.

Weaknesses:    Not the sharpest tack in the drawer but good enough for 95% of the folks on this planet.

Bottom Line:
This lens really seems to get a vast variance of reviews....really good and really bad. Well, my experiance has been mostly very good.

I will not get into technical details, the techies can do that, my review is on real world usage.

I have taken over 10,000 images with this lens. It worked great on my F100. I purchased the lens to be used for mountaineering, my 17-35 was just too heavy and did not have the range that I needed, I tried the 18-35 briefly but the range was the real issue. I switched over to the 24-120VR as soon as it was released and have found it a joy. It has been on every mountain that I have climbed since I purchased it. It has been banged, dropped, sank, and lost...and it still keeps ticking. I am impressed with the range and the VR at 120. It can get very windy and cold at high elevations and the the VR helped me in situations that were marginal at best. It has worked fine at 25 below zero and at 110 degrees.

You can argue forever about the techical attributes of this optic but the 12x18's in my family room attest to the fact that this lens is plenty good enough for me.

I highly recommend it.