Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 IF-ED 35mm Zoom

4.74/5 (54 Reviews)

The AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED is a standard zoom lens designed for photojournalism and general photography. A built-in Silent Wave Motor, a Nikon exclusive, enables ultra fast and hushed auto-focus operation, and boosts the performance of Focus Tracking, qualities this lens an indispensable tool for fast-action photography

Submitted by CooDeville a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2008

Strengths:    Accurate and fast focusing, color saturation, shaprness.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
I've had my eye on this lens for a long time now and finally found a used one in B&H. Few and far between do you find any there. I've been inquiring about it at the Used department for at least 5 years now. This timethe salesman finally had one that was a store demo. Ironically, just as I decided to purchase it, another customer who was standing next to me asked for it as well.

I've used it on a Fuji S2 and also my F100. First thing I noticed was how fast this lens focuses. No hunting at all with either camera. It just does its thing. My results were outstanding. But I will base my results strickly on what the outcome was with my F100 sicne digital can be eaily altered in PS.

The image quality was as sharp as a tack. Color satauration was outstanding. I shoot a lot of automotive scenes so color is very important. The crystal clear results were outstanding. A film such as Velvia really comes out with mind blowing clarity and sharpness. I can honestly saythat I have never ever seen a lens give such outstanding results even at f/2.8. But in order to really get your best out of it, I would shoot at f/8. We all know the center of the glass is the sweet spot. I can't go witihout this lens now and I'm sure plenty of people have had the same thing happen to them

Purchased At:   B&H

Sharpness
Contrast
Autofocus speed
Quietness

Weaknesses:    Weight
Filter Thread Size

Bottom Line:
Simply the best standard zoom lens, Sharp image, Excellent contrast, Ultra quite and fast AF-s

Purchased At:   Competitive Camera

Submitted by marokero a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Strengths:    * fast autofocus
* excellent build - has taken a lot of beating and it's still going strong
* crystal clear images
* helps distinguish my equipment from DSLR's that wedding guests bring these days ;-)

Weaknesses:    * humm...
* wait, I'm still thinking...
* sorry, can't think of anything ;-)

Bottom Line:
This is my main lens when shooting weddings. I keep it on my D100 about 75% of the time, switching to an F100 occasionally. I love how fast the AF works, it just snaps into focus, accurately and in near silence. At f/2.8 it's a just a tad soft overall, but by f/4 it's very sharp. Color and contrast is great, and so is its bokeh wide open. When zoomed to 28mm it extends out a good deal less than its equivalent from Canon. The lens is a bit bulky and heavy I admit, but not to a fault. All that weight stands for quality, and that I am more than glad to live with.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L, Canon 28-70 f/2.8L

Submitted by normyip a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Strengths:    Build
Fast
Auto-focus

Weaknesses:    As explained above in the review.

Bottom Line:
I take a lot of wedding photography in Hong Kong, and before buying the Nikong ED-IF AF-S 28-70mm lens, I was using Nikon 35-70 F2.8 as my main lens. After reading glowing reviews about the 28-70mm convinced me that it was about time I got this lens. I started using this lens as my 'main' lens on one of my F100's and kept the 35-70mm lens on my back-up camera. After photographing about 12 weddings and reviewing the images, I started to notice that my photographs had lost some of it's brilliance and sharpness as taken on the new lens. Not really convinced and thinking it was my imagination, I decided to finally make a head to head test with equal setting of film, flash, etc. Everything identical except the lens. And the results were shocking. The 35-70 came out brighter and sharper than the 28-70. And we all know how expensive the 28-70mm lens is. I'm saddened to know that I paid such a bundle for this lens that doesn't match the consumer line 35-70mm. So strangely enough, this new more expensive lens will now be on my 'backup' camera.

Purchased At:   Francisco Photo (Hon