Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF 35mm Zoom

4.22/5 (59 Reviews)
Focal Length : 24mm - 85mm | Max. Aperture : f/2.8-f/4  | Focus : Autofocus

The wide to telephoto 3.5x zoom lens is ideal for landscape, full-length portraits, travel and portrait photography. Nikon-D type design provides precise distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes. Internal focus so filters don't rotate during focusing.

Submitted by Nadeem a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Weight
Macro feature
Sharpness
Good colour rendition but does not beat the 24-70mm which is in a class of its own
Value for money (24-70mm and 24-120mm VR F4 are far more expensive)

Weaknesses:    Build quality - plastic
Sample variation (mine is super sharp from wide open)
No VR

Bottom Line:
Great mid range zoom due to

1. sharpness

18-200mm DX VR
28-80mm F3.5-5.6

Submitted by David Skinner a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    F2.8 is effective, great for portraits, no silent wave focussing but no slouch either.
Can be used confidently in a whole host of situations especially relatively low light despite not having VR.

Weaknesses:    I believe there is some inconsistency in the quality from lens to lens. Not really a true landscape lens on a cropped sensor camera.

Bottom Line:
Quite the best Nikon lens in this range, I have used and at that price an absolute steal. I have a very sharp copy with no front or rear focussing issues and sharp at the 24mm (f2.8) end though slightly less so at the 85mm end. Very well built and nicely balanced on my D80. Seems to lock on quickly without hunting, at all ranges.
Colour balance is superb, breathtaking colour on landscape shots would be even better on a full frame I guess. The 16-85VR would be better in terms of wide angle shooting but for twice the price.

This one will be sticking around in my kit for some time to come.

Similar Products Used:   Canon 24-85mm, Canon 24-135mm IS, Nikon 16-85mm VR

Submitted by mojo jojo a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    japan made, built like a tank!
72mm filter only..
fast lense, 2.8-4
macro capable, 1:2 ratio.
very close focussing at 1-1.5" distance.
good quality pics
very sharp..

Weaknesses:    heavier than that smaller version non macro lense 24-85 wd 67mm filter
more expensive also, maybe because its a japan lense :)

Bottom Line:
i find this lense very appealing, becoz of its huge and macho feel, i dont want small lenses, but feature wise this lense is practically sharp, im gonna rate it 9.5/10 and it also has a very close focussing distance, like if i put on the hood and place the hood directly ont the table it would still focus and shoot.. :) its like an inch close to the subject or 1.5 " not really sure but thats how i see it.. it uses 72mm filter so thats not so expensive not unlike the sigma 24-70 uses 82mm and thats much expensive... i really love this lense and it does'nt come out of my d300 :) its practically one of my best lense, considering its a 2.8-4 lense, its fast. i cant afford the 24-70 2.8 lense but this lense wont let you down.. id really recomend this lense! :)

Purchased At:   US

Submitted by Lou Wheeland a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    Fast, sharp, compact, versatile, easy to use

Weaknesses:    A little noisy.

Bottom Line:
I have used the 24-85 Nikkor since it was introduced. It has been my prime lens for my F100s and now my D 100 and 200. My primary use is in fire photography with my busy volunteer fire department. It is duarble, reasonably fast, and displays excellent image quality. I also have a 24-120 VR that I use, though it took a fall out of a fire engine. Even after repair, the 24-120 is not as smooth and fast as the 24-85. I have used the 24-85 for forensic prhotgraphy as well as general scene images and portraits of firefighters. It always works and it always produces excellent images, not withstanding the gaffs of the user.

Purchased At:   Pro Camera Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor24-120 VR, Nikkor 12-24DX, Nikkor 80-200

Submitted by Ken S. a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    Fast focusing on the F100, nearly as fast on the D100. Easy focusing on the manual cameras due to the 2.8 wide aperture. Very little barrel distortion on the D100, not so good on the F100 where it shows up quite well on the full frame 35mm. This lens gets sharper as you zoom out to the 85mm end even wide open (f4), with no light fall off in the corners once you stop it down a bit.

Weaknesses:    As noted, noisy af. Wide open at the short end there is light falloff in the corners on the 35mm frame, barely noticable on the D100. Distortion at both ends of the zoom range, but is distortion free at 35-65mm area on the D100. Somewhat prone to flare and ghosting if the hood is not used. Don't point it at strong light sources.

Bottom Line:
I sold the 24-120 AF VR to buy this lens, and have never looked back. I owned the 24-85 AF-S before that. The 24-85 F2.8-4 is a much sharper lens, and I can use it on the manual focus cameras I own, a Nikon FG and a EM, both used for kick around situations where I don't want to expose my F100 or D100 to possible harm. I'd read many reviews before buying this lens, as I always do. Seems people either hate it or love it, and I love it. Its fast in low light situations and is quite sharp even at wide apertures. It has a macro feature I seldom use, but its there if you need it. I have the 105mm 2.8 AF for that. AF is fast but a bit noisy, manual focus has that typical cheesy feel we've all come to love in this age of plastics. Focusing on a manual camera is easy and the 2.8 aperture certainly helps in that regard.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I've owned the 24-120mm VR, the 24-85 AF-S (super fast focusing!) that directly compete with this lens. This is the only choice you have if you want to versatility in using on manual focus cameras as well as AF cameras.