Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

Picture Angle34.33 degrees
    Designed for Digital CameraYes
    MPN1947
    Product ID20724577

Compact and lightweight, this 4.3x zoom lens is ideal for candids, portraits, travel and sports photography. Nikon optics provide outstanding picture quality.

Submitted by Adhikari a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2010

Strengths:    its very light, you will find it convenient handling without a tripod.

Weaknesses:    Best results in outdoor (makes more sense in day light).

Bottom Line:
I read many reviews and based on its price I was not prepared for great results from Nikkor 70-300mm G lens, but to my surprise its a great lens and high value for money. Pictures are great at

Purchased At:   120

Similar Products Used:   Compared to Canon 18-200 IS lens.

Submitted by R Kamel a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2006

Strengths:    Very cheap, sharp after some playing around with it, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Creeping zoom ring, some clumsy sounds when focusing, slow autofocus ability, no dust protection but of course expected for a lens in this price range.
USed it with a tamron pro 2x TC and the results were very bad, u can see CA in the LCD of the camera when using the TC. i beleive it was designed to be used without any other accessory:)

Bottom Line:
I have purchased this lens three years back because i wanted to get into telephoto in addition to the other nikon lenses that i own. This lens is very cheap and very light for walking around with it for long distances.

Contrary to what people have commented here i beleive this lens can deliver very nice results even at 300mm!. The point is that u have to tweak the lens to find when it can perform really nice. I have always beleived like many people here that the lens is very fuzzy after 200mm, however i have used it at full focal length recently, at 300mm and got sharp results when the lens stopped down to f/10 and when shooting birds at close distance. When doing that i pop up the iso to 800 or iso 1000 on my d70s body.

For the money i find this is a very pleasing lens, come on it is only for $100 u can drop it and u wont feel sorry for it.

For some sample shots taken with it, please visit this link:

all of the bird shot there are taken with this cheap G lens

PS: MY RATING ARE DONE IN TERMS OF VALUE FOR MONEY:)

Purchased At:   cant remember

Submitted by Tonys a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    It is cheap. Light. Priced within most budgets. I think this is a starter lens and if you get it knowing that you may be ok with it for awhile. If you buy it thinking you will be getting a great NIKON lens you may be in for a let down.

Weaknesses:    It just does not live up to the Nikon quality that you expect. It can produce good images from time to time but not most of the time.

Bottom Line:
It says Nikon on the Lens but I beleive it may be a Tamron, have not seen nothing to actually confirm that. This lens will work but do not expect it to perform like most NIKON lenses. I think this lens was designed to sell as part of kits to intice the consumer into thinking they got a great deal on the camera, just speculation on my part. I have not used it since getting my other lenses over time. I do not even carry it anymore and tend to use it if the weather is bad or when I go mountain biking. If I crash, oh well. I take my old N65 sometimes with it in the backpack, if I crash, oh well. It will work ok for general photography and serves its purpos ok when I am ridding. I would rather break this camera and lens in a crash and not feel to broke up over it. The lens is a poor performer past 200=220 mm. The pictures tend to be soft and color kind of flat. I think these lenses may vary in performance because of the way they were built. I have read reviews were people love it and get great results, mine did not. On the flip side they are cheap, they are light and somewhat compact. They are ok to begin with and can always be used in a similar situation as i use it. At least I can still take pictures without worrying about dust and ect, because I do not care. If it broke on me now I can say I honsetly got my money out of it. I use it to take picture while out in the woods when we go ridding just to have something in case someone does something woth getting on film or If i run across something. Usually I never pull it out of the pack.

Purchased At:   Wolf Camera

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 200mm F2.8, 28-200mm,400mmvr, several other non Nikons with similiar results as this review.

Submitted by Tonys a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    It works well for the price. Know the limitations on it and use it in those parameters and it will do fine. It is light and easy to use and carry around. When using this lens I do not worry to much about tree limbs, people, ect. If it gets banged up so be it. I have left this lens in my glove box of my Xterra and the floorboard. It still wroks like it did several years ago when it was new. I would never treat a more expensic=ve lens like that. This lens goes with me in my backpack when I go mountain biking, so it does have a place. Get a good camera first and use what you can afford until you can step up, but step up when you can. This lens will still find its way onto your camera from time to time. i use it mainly on my Nikon N80 now. The N80 cost me a alot more than i could ever get for it now, remember film. So it gets tossed in the backpack also for Mountain bike trips. When you upgrade at least you will have a spare to use for other things.

Weaknesses:    For the price it is hard to slam a product for its lack quality found on a more expensive lens. It would be nice if the lens was a little heavier, that might address some of the longer focal lenght issues. It is cheap feeling, but so are a lot of the more expensvie lenses being made now.

Bottom Line:
My wife actually purchased this lens several years ago. I used it from time to time just to see how it worked. It works like most of the revies I have seen so I will not go into detail about the fact at 300mm it is not all that great and suffers from the limitations most lenses in this price range do. It does not work as well as my 80-400vr. It does not take as sharp of an image or dispaly the same color and calrity that my 400vr does. If it did for the price it was sold you could not find one anywhere and most likley it would cost five times what it does. I am writing this because I read reviews and notice people like me who own higher end lenses are never going to be pleased with a lens that cost around 120 dollars. Once you pruchase a higher end lens a use it you are stuck like chuck. When i use my 80-400mm vr almost every picture is a keeper based on focus and sharpness. That alone makes the experience more fun. That said I have used this lens and got excellent results. I ahce also got some really bad shots. It is a light lens due to its construction which makes it unstable at longer focul lenghts, no weight tends to make it harder to hold stabile. Solution, I do not use it at long focal lengths. Yes it is slow and you have to change settings depending on conditions, like most lenses. This lens requires more tweaking and paitence and shots to obtain the right photo. If you new to photography and on a buget like most people are this lens will do fine. do expect to get excellent results with every shutter release. Recompose, readjust and shoot again, you may be surprised. This lens will take good pictures. I still use it from time to time because of its listed weakness. It is light and i can carry it around while walking without lugging a heavy lens attached to a heavy camera. If i drop it or it breaks I am not out of alot, and yes i would replace it. works out well when I am in large crowds of people and I go hiking or bumming around when my goal was not to exactly go take photgraphs. I won sevral long tele photos that work excellent. They are heavy and require at least a monopod and the tripod is always with me. This works well when I am sitting or the subjects have limited movement. This Nikon Lens is cheap and affordable, It does work. Anyone still own a 50mm !.8. They are cheap, cheap feeling, limited and take some of the greatest pictures. They work well because they are simple and cheap. The 70-300mm tries to do more than it is capable of doing, but it does do some things well. I would not even classify this lens as a telephoto because of its limitations. I look at it as a good walk around lens that lets you get pictures you would not if you were using something in the range of 85mm or so. If you are new to photography it is a good starter lens simply based on the price, if you really do not get into photograpy or just like taking pictures every now and then you will like it fine. Only when you test drive some of the more expensive ones will you see how limited this lens is.

Purchased At:   Wolf Camera

Similar Products Used:   Tamron 300mm and Quantary 28-200. They perform just like the lens in this review.

Submitted by webmagik a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Strengths:    It is a Nikon
Cheap entry into this range of zoom

Weaknesses:    Plastic and flimsy
Poor quality results

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens as a stop-gap before I could afford something else and 5 months down the track, I'm glad I finally can afford something else (Sigma 70-200mm f2.8).
For the price this lens is a cheap entry into this zoom range for a lot of people and the results are reasonable for the price. However, those results are ordinary when compared to even a moderately more expensive lens like my old D series Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6. Same basic lens but a heck of a difference in quality. The build of this lens is plastic so it can't handle the rigors of press photography, the area in which I work. Overall, I have taken some pretty good shots with the lens but the results from even the Canon 90-300mm USM lens (about the same price range) are more consistent and better.

Purchased At:   Photographic Wholesa