Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Nikon

MountNikon
    Closest Focusing Distance5.9 in
    Picture Angle12 - 30 degrees
    MPN1986ncp

Superb telephoto-zoom lens for sports and nature photography. 3 ED glass elements for high resolution and high contrast even at maximum apertures. Maintains fast f/2.8 aperture throughout zoom range. Incorporates Autofocus and Internal Focusing technology. D-type lens technology provides distance information to select Nikon digital and film SLR cameras. ED glass for sharp pictures.

Submitted by Lux Luthor a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Strengths:    Sharp, fast, color rendering (is that the correct expression?)

Weaknesses:    Plastic A/M-ring.

Bottom Line:
This is the s***! I've had a Canon EF 80-200/2.8L and a Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 HSM previous to this lens and it kicks the other lenses butts. Hard. It's sharp, it's fast and it's built like a Abrams M1 tank. What more could you ask for?

The A/M-ring is made of plastic and is easy to break. It's easy to fix with some super glue, but it still annoys me that Nikon didn't build the lens with a metal ring.

I primarily use my 80-200 to shoot basketball games and it never lets me down. It's an exeptional tool for the pro and advanced amateur. Don't hesitate if you get the chance to buy one. Just do it, as the Nike commercial proclaims.

People generally complain about the lens being heavy. This makes no sense what so ever. What do people expect? That the amount of glas and metal this lens i built of has the same weight as plastic? Actually this lens is a light weight (1300 g/46.4 oz) compared to the competition:

Nikkor AF-S 80-200: 1550 g (55.4 oz)
Nikkor AF-S 70-200 VR: 1430 g (51 oz)
Nikkor AF-S 70-200 VR II: 1540 g (55 oz)
Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 II HSM: 1370 g (48.9 oz)
Tamron AF 70-200/2.8 Di IF: 1100 g (39.3 oz)

As you can see the only lens that's actually lighter is the Tamron and I find it hard to belive that the Tamron is as sharp and fast as my lens and I really doubt that it will last as long as mine. 200g of extra weight is nothing. Read about this lens at www.kenrockwell.com

Finally I would like to point out that I live in Sweden. Prices might be different here compared to the prices in other parts of the world.

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 80-200/2.8L, Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 HSM

Submitted by BruceA a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    Optically sharp.
Well built.
Significantly less expensive than its 70-200mm VR descendent.
Comes with a sturdy storage case.
Five year Nikon USA warranty.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.
The manual focus ring has a little play in it. Just a smidgen but enough to be annoying.
Doesn't come with a sun shade.

Bottom Line:
This is a great lens! Sharp, clear and well built. I took a photo (handheld) of a moving buffalo cow with my D80 from about 150 feet away in the evening sun and when I enlarged it on my computer, I could clearly see her individual eyelashes hairs. Best telephoto zoom I've ever used and the last I'll ever need to buy.

I have learned to only use it on a tripod or monopod - or rest it on something stable. To me, it would be a waste to handhold a lens with such great optical sharpness (although at a high enough shutter speed you can do it), and well, it is a heavy lens. The pod mounting ring is handy and sturdy.

This, in my opinion, is not a good walk around lens, and I don't think I'd take it on an overseas vacation. . The 18-135mm kit lens is actually really good for that. But if you have a definite, light sensitive, mission in mind and a midrange zoom telephoto is what you need, I don't think you could find a better value.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Bunch of Nikon and Canon stuff over the years.

Submitted by onefive15 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Sharp.Sharp,Sharp

Weaknesses:    Too heavy but works well with a monopod.

Bottom Line:
This is the sharpest lens I have own and it is much shaper than the 70-200mm VR f2.8 (due to VR the 70-200mm has one more set of optics which make it less sharp this is same thing that happen to the older version of the Nikon 105mm micro which is sharper than the new VR version) that's why Nikon discontinue this lens in order for the 70-200mm to have a better sale, here is a website that has these 2 lens comparison: http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=248&t=251192&p=1
as you can compare the pictures in this site at the same situations this lens beat 70-200mm VR at sharpness in all the F-stops. I am very happy I bought this lens.

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by Jake star a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Strengths:    fast, sharp, great contrast, lighter than the AF-S, Price.
Remeber this is a Nikon lens and they don't make bad lenses.
Great street cred' !!!

Weaknesses:    Lens Hood optional, £30 GBP, can hunt during auto focus but does have a limiter,
bit of torque whip but nothing discouraging, unless in bright light with a high shutter speed you will need a monopod or tripod but that applies to all types of this lens

Bottom Line:
At first after buying this lens I felt a little disappointed as I really wanted the AF-s version which is now discontinued and ended with the AF-D.
This proved to be unfounded, sharp clear great blurring of backgrounds giving pictures a clarity and soildness i ahve not seen in a long time, I coupled to a Nikon D300 and it works superbly. I test photographed a notice board size approx A1 at 200 metres and was able to read the site map on it when I zoomed in this was at 200 2.8
If you have a notion for it, Buy it its a bargain compared to the £1500 new 70 -200

Purchased At:   calumet