Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Olympus

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 35mm Zoom

5 star rating
                      5 / 5 (2 Reviews)

The F2.8-3.5 brightness of this wide zoom lens is really attractive. This high-performance lens covers the zoom range of 22-44mm on a 35mm camera, and the closest focusing distance is 28cm in the entire zoom area. It can create a desirable tension in your photographs by exaggerated perspective effect. Two glass aspherical lens elements give the high image quality with high-resolution and good contrast.

Submitted by Bytesmiths a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    Super image quality, no linear distortion near edges.

Weaknesses:    I would rather have had two prime lenses, each with an extra stop and less weight.

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful lens! I've been a Zuikoholic for decades, and was bemoaning having to switch to N/C, when the 4/3rds system came out. I waited out the E-1, not feeling inspired by any of the glass, especially at the wide end.

Then this lens and the stupendous 7-14 came out, and I jumped into the 4/3rds system with no regrets.

This lens is so sharp, you'll need to soften portraiture a bit. It has no discernible vignetting or pincushion/barrell distortion. I use it to shoot artwork, and rectangular framed pieces come out perfectly parallel to the image edge.

I'm not a "zoomer," so I tend to use this lens at the extremes at 11mm and 22mm. In other words, I use it as two prime focus lenses with near-zero change time. I spent a lot of time with the OM Zuiko 21mm f2, so I feel right at home at the 11mm end (22mm equivalent) and can mentally frame shots easily.

A fun technique at the wide end is what I call "grab shots." Once you're got a handle on the ~90 degree field of view, you can easily hold the camera over your head, or down by your feet, or waist high, and "grab" candid shots you wouldn't necessarily have time (or flexibility, or ladders) to do the "normal" way.

Similar Products Used:   OM Zuiko 21mm f2.0, OM Zuiko 21mm f3.5, OM Vivitar 20-40 f4 zoom.

Submitted by mfahrur a Intermediate

- rectilinear
- quiet motor

Weaknesses:    - not 2.8
- 72mm filter

Bottom Line:
I like to shoot wide-angle lens, and I bought this lens even before I got my E-500! I chose this over the 14-54. Then, I just have to wait for the right time to get the E-500 with the 40-150 on the used market. My luck to get a 2-month old 40-150 with the E-500 purchase for RM2800 (USD760).
OK, my Nikon buddy was flabbergasted at the 2.8-3.5 range, with the price, small size and excellent build quality. He owns the 12-24/4 nikkor and was amazed at the 11-22 size & price, too. Though, the 12-24 is much wider.
Tack sharp, no vignetting, fast to focus, 1/2 stop loss at the normal end is not much, rectilinear images with minimum barrel distortion.
A must buy. With the 11-22 & 40-150 combo, I may lose the normal range, but not much. After years of shooting OM primes, the zoom gap is not felt. I just use my legs.

Purchased At:   KLCC, Malaysia