Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Pentax

Focal Length50mm - 200mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/4-f/5.6
    MountPentax
    Designed for Digital CameraYes

Designed for exclusive use with Pentax KAF-mount digital SLR cameras including the *ist D and the *ist DS digital SLRs, the Pentax DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED lens offers 4x zoom coverage in the telephoto range. Further, the lens features an angle of view from 31.5 degrees to 8.1 degrees (equivalent in focal length from 76.5mm to 306mm in the 35mm format). With a medium range 4X telephoto zoom in an affordable, durable package, this lens catches medium- to long-distance objects and everything in between.

Submitted by C. Soscia a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    cost, size, weight, performance

Weaknesses:    a bit slow to focus but better than the Sigma in this regard.

Bottom Line:
After considering several more expensive lenses in this zoom range, I decided to try the Pentax 50-200 for my K10D. I purchased the Pentax 16-45 for an all around lens and was impressed with the build and quality so my hope was that this lens would be a 'sleeper; for the price. I do a lot of shooting with a telephoto zoom and had previously used the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 with very good results but was not crazy about carrying a big and heavy lens around. The Pentax has been a joy to use so far and even though the jury might still be out, I think I've got a nice lens and saved a ton of money in the process (enough to get the 540 flash with cash left over). Coupled with Pentax's built in shake reduction on the 10D, the f4 limitations are not as evident as they might be on a camera without this feature. I took the lens to a track meet yesterday and was able to take some pretty good shots of athletes in motion at 150-200mm with NO flash and no blurring. I was also suprised with the excellent color rendition in a low light setting. I'm sure that the Sigma would produce better overall results but for my purposes, this lens is better than adequate. It's small and light, well constructed and gives natural, accurate results. I am a former Canon user who switched to Pentax based on a cost to performance ratio with their cameras and standard zoom lenses. I can now add this telephoto zoom to the mix. I am looking forward to their new line up of DA lenses due in the spring. For now though, buy this lens. I'll continue to use it even if I find one of the new lenses better. For the money combined with its' size and weight characteristics, you'll be hard pressed to find a better option.

Purchased At:   B&H