Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Phoenix

Phoenix 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 35mm Zoom

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Because of the angle of view, this auto-focus,ultra-wide angle lens is perfect to capture all of your creative ideas. You can also fit all of your family in the picture at a holiday get-together. Landscapes are great with this wide view lens; the entire horizon is yours.

Submitted by SD-surfcruzr a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    Price
Image quality at f8 and f11
Wide!

Weaknesses:    Build quality - Looks like something that might be labeled Mattel
Loud focus
Flimsy lens shade and lens cap.

Bottom Line:
Bought it as a temporary ultra wide on Nikon N90s. To say that I was surprised at the images this lens can create is an understatement. Distortion is easy to correct once you get images scanned into digital form. Is this the ultra wide for heavy pro use? No. Will it last long? Who knows!

Not so great for crop sensor DSLRs. Definitely not to be used wide open. Then again, who uses ultra wides wide open?

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 28mm AI-S 2.8
Nikkor 18-55mm II AFS
Vivitar 28-85 AI-S
Nikkor 35-70mm AI-S

Submitted by Jens Nielsen a Intermediate from Aarhus, Denmark

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive
There was no obvious colour distortion at the edges even at 19 mm.
Possible to get really close and still focus correctly.

Weaknesses:    Contrary to other reviewers here, I noticed quite heavy barrel distortion at the edges at 19 mm. Buildings definately looked like they would fall over.
It feels like it could fall apart quite easily...time will tell.

Bottom Line:
I was sceptical about this lens when I first saw it. It is very inexpensive. So I took for a test shoot before buying. So far I have not noticed anything that I can't live with. Colours were natural and bright. Prints came out sharp...at least at 10x15 cm and 13x18 cm. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on a super wide angle lens....this could be your only option. I haven't seen any other lens offering 19 mm focal length at this price. Optically I think that the quality is acceptable. Mechanically I can't really tell as I haven't had it for very long.

Purchased At:   Sct. Paul's Foto

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Peter Spiro a Expert from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight and compact, very useful zoom range for scenics. Good contrast, low flare, and sharp once it's stopped down a lot. Great sharp pictures when used in bright light or with fast film so you can stop it down enough.

Weaknesses:    Extreme corners aren't sharp until stopped down to f/11, although this is the part that gets cut off anyway in 8x10 enlargements.

Bottom Line:
Very good value for the money. I compared it's corner performance to a much more expensive Sigma 18-35mm, and the Phoenix was better.

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by Bubba Hamilton a Intermediate from USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Build quality is poor.
Unsharp lens.
Coating on glass looks uneven, definitely not Nikon quality. The pictures I took with this are very soft.
Colors are weird also when compared with my Nikon lenses.

Bottom Line:
This lens is a piece of ****! I thought I would take a chance since it was so cheap. I would have been better off buying lottery tickets with my money, at least then I would have a chance of getting something for my money. I should have known better. I truly hate those who gave this a good review, you are all nuts and I should not have believed you. I wish a lower rating than 1 was available. Do not buy this lens. You will be very sorry.

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by Erik Ekelund a Expert from NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2000

Strengths:    Great value genuine wide angle,
Suprisingly good for price,

Weaknesses:    Smeary corners shockingly cheap-looking build,
A little distortion and vignetting at 19mm.

Bottom Line:
Surprisingly sharp images at f16 for what looks like a piece of rubbish. Very washed out, fuzzy and useless near f3.5.
Needs to be stopped down to at least f8 for sharp corners, a little barrel distortion at 19mm, but better 35mm performance than Nikon's lower priced zooms (eg 35-105mm)!