Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Quantaray

Macro LensWith Macro Lens
    Macro Magnificationx 2
    Closest Focusing Distance37 in
    Product ID20826074

The outstanding magnification range on this lightweight, compact lens will add impact and intimacy to close-ups, portraits and everything in between. It is a compact Apochromatic telephoto zoom lens incorporating two Special Low Dispersion (LDO) glass elements in the front lens group, plus one Special Low Dispersion glass element in the rear lens group, to minimize chromatic aberration. It is a Tele-Macro Zoom lens, capable of focusing down to 1:2 (half life-size) reproduction ratio at 300mm focal length with superb optical quality.

Submitted by jaimejia a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Good photos, Sharp and being autofocus is easy to use

Weaknesses:    a litlle heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought my Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LDO MACRO, TECH-10 PF-AF and used in a Pentax MZ50 , now I want to use this lens in a Digital DSLR camera
Wich one do you recomend me.

Thanks

Purchased At:   Ritz, Milwaukee,WI

Submitted by alg a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Decent lens, compact, capable of close-up (1:2) work, decent sharpness.

Weaknesses:    Purple fringing/chormic aberration is quite noticeable in areas of high contrast. Slow lens, but to be honest I personally don't find speed to be much of a problem for my uses.

Bottom Line:
I received this lens as a birthday gift a few years ago. At the time I was shooting on a 35mm SLR and as a very casual photog I only took images on special occasions like sporting events or trips. The result was that I mostly wound up with snapshots and I wasn't too terribly impressed with the performance of this lens although I noticed that the sports images did look decent. Anyway now I have a dSLR and am not inhibited by film processing costs and hassles. Since I still had the lens I decided to go and give it a second try and I must admit, this lens is far better than I initially gave it credit for. When properly using this lens it can produce excellent results. A recent trip to the local botannical gardens yielded many excellent images with a handful of 'awesome' shots. However I would personally suggest the Sigma 70-300 APO version. (This lens is essentially a copy of the Sigma 70-300 *non APO* lens). The APO coating will be worth it to eliminate the purple fringing/chromic aberration.

Submitted by lukaszb a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Strengths:    - decent sharpness
- if you need to go to 300mm this an ok choice

Weaknesses:    - too expensive for the quality
- slow focus
- a bit noisy
- focusing ring rotates, which makes you readjust your polarizer filter all the time.

Bottom Line:
I got this lens as a part of a kit at local Ritz store. I bought Elan 7 body. Despite some of the bad reviews I must say that this is decent equipment. Sharp enough to take general landscape photos. It's ok for some general portrait shots. It is ok, but not worth the $200 or so. For that money you can get much better Canon Lens, e.g.28-105 USM.

The main problem that i seem to have with this one is that it's relativly heavy. My arm was hurting after a shor period of time after carrying it around town.

Submitted by Bill50 a Intermediate from Houston tx

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    it's pretty sharp, even wide open
lightweight for magnification it offers
cheap
when the 70-200 is not long enough, 300 is nice to have until I get a teleconverter for the Sigma

Weaknesses:    autofocus is slow and is dim thru the viewfinder
not fast enough- handheld in low light is out of the question
focus ring way too loose in manual focus!!!

Bottom Line:
This was my first telezoom lens for my Nikon system. If I would been "into good lenses", I would have bought my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM the first time around. But hey, it's not a bad piece of equipment to keep if you already bought it.

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM

Submitted by sdjules a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap and light.

Weaknesses:    Slow, mediocre quality, lens creeps, lens rotates when zooming, slow, auto focus tends to hunt a bit and is not real smooth, did I mention that it's slow?

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens with my Canon Elan 7 mainly to take pictures at an auto racing event I attend every year in Long Beach, CA. I didn't really know much about good lenses at the time and while this lens does do the job it is definitely a cheap lens and doesn't come near the quality of even semi pro glass.

I am planning on replacing this lens with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L lens as soon as I can scrape up enough cash. I can hardly wait to get rid of this lens.

Purchased At:   Ritz Camera