Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Picture Angle63.8 - 102.4 degrees
    Designed for Digital CameraYes
    Weightoz
    UPC085126201555

It’s important to have a high quality ultra-wide angle zoom in a lens kit. Sigma's 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC ultra-wide zoom lens for digital SLR cameras is ideal for landscape photography, building interiors, group and party pictures and so much more. Great for working with close foreground subjects as this lens features a minimum focusing distance of 9.4” at all focal lengths ensuring great creative potential. The wide angle view of up to 102º also offers greater freedom of expression. For Canon Digital EOS, Konica Minolta Maxxum, Nikon AF, Pentax.

Submitted by allkar a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2014

Strengths:    Focal length range
AF speed.
Lens hood & carry bag.

Weaknesses:    Decentered.
Heavy Chromatic aberations.
Poor resolution.
Poor contrast.
You don't get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I shall be brief
The worst lens I've ever had (EOS 30D, EOS 7D)
I had three different copies, tried in 6 months from different distributors
All decentered
One time right side soft + extreme back focus
Two times - left side completely soft, blurred
Stopping down to f/11 or f/16 did not solve the problem

Everything back, changing to Tokina, happy.

Submitted by paul Witzig a Professional

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Price.
Quality of build.
Quality of image.

Weaknesses:    None as yet.
I would have liked it to be faster, but I had the choice of spending more and buying the f3.5.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens on Ebay without reading any reviews, but based upon my previous experience with the Sigma DP1 which I consider to be a great camera. Sigma stood high in my books.
The Sigma 10/20 was to use on my Nikon 300D.
All my other lenses for this camera are Nikkor, so in a way it was a leap into the unknown.

So, having bought the 10/20 f4.5 I started reading reviews while I waited for it to arrive from UK. To be frank, some of the reviews spun me out, with reports of poor image quality, poor quality control, poor lens cap design etc.etc..

But then the lens arrived, and I've tested it out for the last two weeks on everything from landscapes to architectural interiors.
Mine is a great lens !!
So I guess it means that Sigma have got their act together & have overcome earlier problems ?
I am getting really sharp images when shooting at f8 in all conditions.
Hope this review helps someone.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   I have a Nikkor 10.5 fisheye, which is great for some shots,
but I needed a super wide angle with a lot less distortion. This Sigma 10/20 fills that requirement

Submitted by Ben_Morrissey a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2009

Strengths:    Build quality. With my copy, this was definitely the strong point of this lens. I just cannot fault it. It's heavy enough to feel solid in the hand, and light enough to not be a chore to carry around. It feels like it could take a lot of beating, and also gives it an expensive feel.
Image Quality. Well, to an extent anyway. It's not the sharpest lens I have ever used, but I definitely wouldn't say it's bad or even average. Very good centre sharpness, which deteriorates at the corners (though quite heavily at larger apertures).
Price. One of the main reasons I purchased this lens. It is very generously priced, considering it's strengths.
Speed. Since it's a third party lens, I would say it's very good in terms of AF speed. However, in terms of aperture, It's not that good, especially for low light. But, the recently released Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 lens is a good alternative to this if you want that aperture increase (and want to stick with Sigma. There are larger aperture wide angle lenses available).
'What's in the box'. It comes with a carrying case and lens hood, like many 3rd party lenses do. The lens hood is thick and solid, and case is nicely padded at the top and bottom.

Weaknesses:    Corner quality wide open. Corner quality at wide apertures is always a problem for lenses (for some it's much less of a problems than for others, but corners are generally weaker than the center), but the distortion on this lens definitely doesn't help much.
Distortion. Not the worst performer in terms of distortion, but it is quite high. In fact, any more and you could probably call it a fish-eye (ok, it's not that bad, but I'm just trying to give an example), so it's probably not the best choice for architectural photography.
Vignetting. At wide apertures, vignetting can be a problem.

Bottom Line:
To clarify, I am not an expert, more of an advanced amateur, but there was no option for this, and I'm definitely above Intermediate. Also, I live in the UK so price given is in Pound Sterling.

I bought this on eBay from a reputable seller, even after hearing about Sigma's quality control issues. I had considered getting the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, but it was too expensive for my taste, and the Sigma provided everything the same (well, except for 2mm at the long end, but it overlaps nicely with my kit lens). Anyway, being part of Sigma's EX line, I decided to take the plunge and purchased it.

I received it about 3 days later, and, to be frank, I was astounded by it. The build quality is just fantastic. While it is made out of plastic, it is high quality and definitely doesn't feel cheap. It is also reasonably heavy for it's size. I prefer heavy lenses, as they feel more solid in my hand, and I seem to be able to hold them steadier for longer periods (I expect my arms try to compensate too much with the lighter lenses, by thinking the lens weighs more than it does, causing major shake).

I didn't get much of a chance to use it on the first day, so I just took some quick snaps to analyse on my screen. While I wasn't amazed at optical quality (to be fair, it was at 10mm at f/4) it was definitely sharp. The first time I really got to use this lens properly was on a trip to Cornwall. It definitely proved it's worth there, and f/8 seemed to be it's strong point. However, it does take a while to get used to composing images with such a wide field of view, and the fact that the viewfinder I was using was only 95% coverage meant I would continuously get things in the frame that shouldn't have been there (for instance, an image I took of Spinnaker Tower from the base while I was lying down had to be redone about 8 times because I kept getting the top of the Lifeguard safety buoy that was hanging straight above me). That was most likely due to my inexperience at the time.

Autofocus is fast and accurate, just like it should be. Though, not as fast at the Canon 10-22mm I tried on my camera, it got the job done quickly and smoothly.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF-S 10-22mm

Submitted by Jamiroquai a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Very good image quality. Aberration is visible as with any wide lens, but in practical images (i.e. in images not shot at lab with intentions to find aberrations) not easily seen unless looked for. Build is firm, better than most Canon lenses I see. Comes with a hood. Full-time manual focus in addition to AF, which is a big plus.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at this price; if it cost more than twice it's price, I'd probably say something about aberrations in lab shoots or about my flash not being able to cover the area under 14mm without the extra plate, but then again, those are usually minor problems. And since it's this cheap, I don't cry---aberrations just teach to think better, shoot better.

Bottom Line:
Astounding lens in every way, both price and quality. Even if the "big name" lenses bring better quality (how can they?), it's not an excuse for a price that's over double of this lens. And though inexpensive in terms of ultra wide angle lenses, the quality of the images is as good as it gets---to see the lens quality be bad I'd need 10 to 20 more years of experience , and with that I could then also circumvent the possible caveats of this thing..

I didn't dare buying a wide angle lens before I was more or less sure I could get something for the price, but having bought this Sigma lens now I sort of hate myself not buying it earlier already!

Purchased At:   Local retailer

Similar Products Used:   Nothing as wide as this, as there's not much available.

Submitted by Nikonman2 a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Extreme wide angle FOV.
Good if not excellent build quality.
Compact.
Low edge distortion(relative to angle of view).
Low lineal distortion(less than I expected).
Smooth auto focussing.
Cheap price.

Weaknesses:    Can't really fault this one given it's low cost and good performance.

Bottom Line:
Using this lens really widens the view for any frustrated APS-C D-SLR user.The width available with this lens is incredible and opens up a whole new world of wide angle photography.
Quality has traditionally been an issue when deciding on OEM lenses or third party but this is one of the better ones that Sigma has produced with good all round performance and relatively low edge distortion for such a wide field of view.
The lens has a good quality, solid feel about it and focuses smoothly on my D200.
A great addition for any APS-C Dslr user.....Must Have!.

Purchased At:   On Loan

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 12-24mm Nikkor.
Nikon 18-35mm Nikkor.