Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 DG HSM II 35mm Zoom

4 star rating
                      4 / 5 (1 Reviews)

Designed for use with full frame digital cameras. May also be used with smaller APS-c size sensors with a corresponding effective increase in focal length to about 17-35mm with most cameras A splash-proof design allows for use in harsh conditions.

Submitted by Matt Carter a Professional

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Strengths:    • Love the 12mm wide end on both full frame and crop sensor bodies.
• Solid build
• Great on my D7100
• Fast Focus

Weaknesses:    • Some flare when shooting into the sun, not unexpected though.
• Occasionally -- misscommunicates with my D700 and gives me an aperture reading of F99 (just turn off the camera and back on to clear the error).
• Sometimes I bump the the Auto Focus switch to Manual by accident -- I'm not sure how.
• Not a very fast piece of glass and struggles a bit for focus in low light situations.
• The two piece lens cap is a bit annoying.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens to fill out my focal range and I wasn't sure if a super-wide zoom would be that useful to me (so I didn't go for the super expensive Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8). Having never owned anything wider than a 24-70 full frame lens I was a little slow getting the hang of this lens. But after 6 months I leave it on my D7100 all the time for walking around.

I shot a downhill mountain bike race using the D7100/ Sigma 12-24 combo and loved the results and had solid sales numbers to back me up. It gets a little too much flare if you shooting towards the sun, but with a fill flash and some contrast boost in post processing it is easy to adjust for. Getting up close to racers laying into corners and launching off drops was amazing and much more fun than the same shots with a longer lens.

I love this lens. I wish it was half a stop faster -- but for the price it does a fantastic job for me.

Purchased At:   Norman Camera (Amazo

Similar Products Used:   I have never used anything wider than my 20-70 full frame or my 18-70DX lenses.