Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Zoom | Sigma

Diaphragm Blades7 Blades
    Lens Max Aperturef/3.5-f/5.6
    MountSigma
    Designed for Digital CameraYes

Exclusively designed for SLRs with a 6.9 times high magnification zoom ratio. Image circle is designed to match the size of the image sensor of digital SLR cameras.
  • Aperture range: f/3.5-22
  • Min focus: 50cm (19.6in.)

Submitted by aj1575 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Image quality
    Price
    nice zoom range

Weaknesses:    vignetting at 18mm wide oben
    soft corners at 125mm
    focus hunting in low light

Bottom Line:
    I bought this lens together with my EOS 350D, and it is my walk around lens. For the price and the zoom-range, the image quality is very nice. The lens has some weak spots, but if you know them you can work around. The problems are some vignetting wide open at 18mm, and soft corners at 125mm, and the auto focus has some problems in low light (focus hunting).
    The build quality is ok. I'm using it since 3 years, which is visible on the lens, but it works still fine.

With the right settings this lens can produce very good pictures. Sometimes I'm amazed how sharp the pictures are, from a lens in this price class. This is also the reason why I still don't have a 18-50 f2.8, because the benefit would not be that big.

If you want a good walk around lens and the 17-70 or 18-85 are too short for you, this is the lens to go.

Submitted by kool100vr4 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    Best deal on wide.

Weaknesses:    noisy AF, i can live with.
    im not a spy.

Bottom Line:
    I finally bought this Sigma 18-125mm to be my everyday lens for use with my Sony A100, this lens will be stabilized on my Sony A100, that would helps on sharpness and anti shake, it works perfectly fine, i must have shot about 300 shots with it, most all images came out sharp and nice contrast, a little bit distortion at 18mm, but that is to be expected..on my Sony A100 this Sigma lens = 27-187mm, that is a very good all around range. The lens becomes much sharper from 35-125mm, good sharpness at 18mm, no purple fringes, great price, light and compact. But i must say the advantage of Sony DSLR is that all lens will be stabilzed when mounted, its the best feature on Sony, i havent had a single bad lens mounted on Sony yet. I can buy all the lesser lenses and they would work fine, i never have worried about buying over price VR and IS lens again, because Sony A100 has built-in Anti Shake in body.
    This lens is still made in Japan with metal mount, comes with petal hood, uses 62mm filter size, farely fast AF, but a little noisy AF. But with 100$ i dont complain, just got compliments.
    I havent got a bad Sigma lens yet, and i have had over 20 Sigmas lenses.
    Sigma rules.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Canon 24-135mm IS, Nikon 24-120mm, Tamron 19-35mm, Promaster 19-35mm, Sigma 18-200mm.
    But this Sigma 18-125mm is the best out of the bunch.

Submitted by Bill a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    Focal range
    Build

Weaknesses:    None known

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this lens for it's focal range after being told it was a sharp lens and I have not been disappointed. I have used this lens for weddings, sporting team photography and it is ideal as a travel lens whilst on holidays. It is a very sharp lens and with the SR of the Pentax DSLR's I can get super sharp images down to 1/15th of a second. It compares very favourably with the Sigma 10-20EX and the 50-500 EX and in my opinion outshines the 28-70 EX. It is also comparative to the older Pentax primes which I own a few of. My wife always grabs this lens while on holidays and I am so impressed with it that I will be purchasing another one prior to our next holiday for me to use.

Purchased At:   Sydney Australia

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 10-20EX, 50-500EX, 28-70EX
    Pentax 50mm/2, 55mm/1.8, 28mm/2.8, 200mm/4

Submitted by Twisted a Beginner

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2007

Strengths:    Looks and feels nice

Weaknesses:    The barrel distortion was horrible @18mm
    Quite alot of vignetting @18mm and on the top end
    Heavy lens.
    Dont rely on the camera to autofocus with this lens.

Bottom Line:
    Just yesterday I bought a Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC to replace my kit lens for a good inexpensive walk around lens. Took it our of the box and fired 1 shot to compair it to the kit lens. To my susprize this lens was horrible compaired to the kit lens. The image was so out of focus it wasnt even funny. Both were taken from the same spot and both was at f3.5 1/200 sec and ISO 100 with Autofocus on. I even went as far as to stomp it down to f4 through f9 and the kit lens was still sharper. So needless to say, it went back to the shop the the salesman tried it on another camera. Samething happened. Then he tried another lens, thinking the first one might be bad. Well it was worse than the lens I brung back.

Long story short. I returned the lens. I know Sigma makes some very good lenes, but this is not one of them.

Purchased At:   Local Camera Shop

Submitted by alexvdub a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Great sharpness, range, build quality. Colors are rendered vividly and accurately.

Weaknesses:    Focus a little on the slow side and noisy. But it's livable.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this lens after reading many, many reviews from various sources. I must say that this lens has exceeded all of my expectations. I have read that at times Sigma may have QC issues with some of their lenses ie. front/back focus problems. I thoroughly tested this lens on my D70s when I first bought it to make sure my copy was not one of those. In fact, focus was spot on in each and every case and among many different lighting conditions and focal lengths. Very well done Sigma. Next comes the sharpness. Most make comparisons to to top of the line L lens or primes or what have you. Not right. This lens is not intended to compete with top quality glass. Lets face it - price does reflect quality. This is not an expensive piece of glass, but the value is fantastic. My copy is VERY sharp, if stopped down a couple of notches. Even at wide open, it does very well producing good sharpness, but with a slight fall-off in the corners. Vignetting is all but non existent except at 18-22 or so. Even so, easily correctable in PS or PTLens. Distortion is what you'd expect, barrel at wide, pincushin at long - again PTlens does an incredible job at correcting. Let's all remeber that this is the digital age. Minor issues are very easily correctable. That's why the RAW format was introduced. The only thing that bothers me with this lens has nothing to do with images, but the focus speed and noise. Yes, I've been spoiled by Nikon's AF-S. On this lens, focus is slow and noisy. Keep in mind, I'll stick with my own advice. I'm comparing the focus to a much more superior and read more expensive focus system. All in all, a very good value for the money.

Purchased At:   Henry's